The CookingBites recipe challenge: soya beans/products

Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is soya beans/products and badjak is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* which uses soya beans or soya products, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge, and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight, end of day Monday, 5th November UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

I was going to enter this into the onion challenge, but didn't realize it was too late. The recipe also fits this one, so...

Recipe - Butternut squash, edamame, onion, poblano, and Gouda pie filling

6714.jpg

There's a long list of things made from soy beans. Wiki has a very good list here.

List of soy-based foods - Wikipedia

Additionally
Soy curls - USA food
Textured Vegetable Protein (Textured Soy Protein)
Yuba - tofu skin (in the UK, there is a certain of this that's excellent, in a tin by Marigold, they call it braised tofu)
Cheonggukjang – Korean fermented soybeans
Doenjang – Fermented soybean paste
Doubanjiang – Chinese spicy bean paste
Soy molasses – Viscous syrup with a typical bittersweet flavor
Soy nuts – Soaked, drained and baked soybeans
Soy protein powder – A protein that is isolated from soybean
tamari & shoyu are also made with soy.

Does anyone else find edemame beans (the green ones) tasteless?

We all know tofu is quite bland in taste* but readily soaks up other flavours. I've found the fresh or frozen young green soya beans don't soak up flavour and unlike other beans seem to have little flavour of their own. Maybe I've had poor examples in the past.

I've ordered some so I will try again...

*some tofu is tastier than others of course

Does anyone else find edemame beans (the green ones) tasteless?

We all know tofu is quite bland in taste* but readily soaks up other flavours. I've found the fresh or frozen young green soya beans don't soak up flavour and unlike other beans seem to have little flavour of their own. Maybe I've had poor examples in the past.

I've ordered some so I will try again...

*some tofu is tastier than others of course
They have a nutty taste to me.

When we still lived back in Hawaii, I made fresh Soy Beans/Edamame alot.
I could pick up a one pound bag of fresh, take it home, boil/steam them to tender, and enjoy!
Edamame is a popular snack in Hawaii, goes great with Beer and has a lovely, earthy-nutty-green flavor.
I like them with Shoyu, chopped Garlic and finely minced Chili Pepper (the Chili Peppers in Hawaii while blow-your-head off-hot).

Back
Top Bottom