The CookingBites recipe challenge: soya beans/products

Yeah blades, silken tofu is good for desserts too. I hadn't spotted that was what you had or would have said so earlier. You need regular tofu to fry. It will disintegrate otherwise. The two products are quite different really.
I guess I have to go into town and visit the Asian grocery. I need more short grain rice as well.

I didn't see it either.
Regular or pressed tofu...
(But better still, tempeh :dance: )
OK ladies, is this better? If so, should I still press it?
tofu.jpg

Thanks. I'll get on it tomorrow or Saturday. This is supposed to be a challenge and tofu is for me but I will conquer it. I once made Peking Duck. That was a challenge and one I probably won't repeat. Tofu is a good thing - healthy, not fattening and useful in many ways.

Thanks. It is what the supermarket had. Everything I know about cooking with tofu has been learned in the past 24 hours. I'll be an expert by the end of the week. :)
You'll need to look in the fridge section. Regular tofu is always kept cold. It's only silken tofu that you'll find in a normal shelf. Though in Australia you'll also find silken tofu in the fridges as well.

I only use it for silken tofu for 3 things here. Making a silky soup or creamed stock soup, using it for a chocolate tart I make, and alongside regular tofu to make scrambled egg. Silken tofu is the runny part for a reason, regular is the lumpy part.

OK ladies, is this better? If so, should I still press it?
View attachment 119650
Yep, much better.
Drain it well and dry if you want to.

You can also freeze it, then defrost it and drain. It opens it up to absorbing much more flavour from sauces but not needed for a stir fry.

Some people go on about needing to remove all the liquid that it comes in. It's not really necessary unless you really don't like the taste of that liquid (it's the left over from when the tofu was made, a coagulant is added to the bean curd). Some people find the flavour of the liquid unpleasant. I've found that it varies from brand to brand.

Yep, much better.
Drain it well and dry if you want to.

You can also freeze it, then defrost it and drain. It opens it up to absorbing much more flavour from sauces but not needed for a stir fry.

Some people go on about needing to remove all the liquid that it comes in. It's not really necessary unless you really don't like the taste of that liquid (it's the left over from when the tofu was made, a coagulant is added to the bean curd). Some people find the flavour of the liquid unpleasant. I've found that it varies from brand to brand.
Interesting. I'm not thrilled about eating calcium sulfate and calcium chloride so I will press it, cut it, season it and pan fry it. I would imagine tofu is a regular part of your vegan diet. I think removing more of the liquid will allow the seasonings to penetrate better. I now can advise people that the type of tofu matters and one should never press or fry silken tofu. Thanks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom