The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a rare occasion of going out (i.e. other than for a food shop). It was a stimulating discussion at the philosophy group. (I did philosophy as part of my Hons. degree - majoring in psychology). It was on ethics and morals....good to use more of my mental faculties and stretch my ability to think a bit. They say exercising the mind can stave off dementia (which is something I worry about; it's now seen as THE no. 1 killer in UK, overtaking heart disease).

Just got back from a rare occasion of going out (i.e. other than for a food shop). It was a stimulating discussion at the philosophy group. (I did philosophy as part of my Hons. degree - majoring in psychology). It was on ethics and morals....good to use more of my mental faculties and stretch my ability to think a bit. They say exercising the mind can stave off dementia (which is something I worry about; it's now seen as THE no. 1 killer in UK, overtaking heart disease).

Well, as a self-confessed recluse I think you are doing very well! :) I wouldn't have the 'get-up-and-go' to join any sort of interest group. Well - I might if it was a cookery group. But such things don't exist around here (and please don't suggest I start one). I'm not sure people do die of dementia exactly (although that is what news reports and death certificates say) - perhaps it depends which type. The sort caused by mini strokes in the brain (my Dad had that) would eventually cause death I think. But I don't understand how other sorts cause death. Just because your brain is shot doesn't mean you die, does it?

I think it seems that more people have dementia because we are living longer and also it is now diagnosed more often - so it seems more prevalent.

Has anyone tried Lumosity.com?

It is a site of intellectual games that is supposed to help keep your brain healthy and flexible.

Well, as a self-confessed recluse I think you are doing very well! :) I wouldn't have the 'get-up-and-go' to join any sort of interest group. Well - I might if it was a cookery group. But such things don't exist around here (and please don't suggest I start one). I'm not sure people do die of dementia exactly (although that is what news reports and death certificates say) - perhaps it depends which type. The sort caused by mini strokes in the brain (my Dad had that) would eventually cause death I think. But I don't understand how other sorts cause death. Just because your brain is shot doesn't mean you die, does it?

I think it seems that more people have dementia because we are living longer and also it is now diagnosed more often - so it seems more prevalent.
It doesn't come naturally for me to go out and it is only occasionally, i.e. although this group is weekly, I often don't go because the topic doesn't engage me.

I have good social skills and an extrovert streak! I suppose the image of a semi recluse is someone withdrawn, inhibited and introverted....that is not really me since I have a positive mindset and enjoy life. I just need more time alone/solitude than most people.

My mum had a stroke and then developed vascular dementia. Dementia is a precursor to respiratory and circulatory complications e.g. contracting pneumonia is quite common. It is such a cruel illness since it strips the person of their character. Although my mother had a long life, dying at 96 (so joyless for the run up to this) - I always say that we lost her years before this....

As for diagnosing it more often ... not sure that this is a reason for it being more prevalent, i.e. we always had the diagnosis! There are several forms of it and we may well, in the future, discover some ghastly connection into what is causing it (aside from obvious causes like a stroke, brain injury or a brain tumor).

Last edited:
It doesn't come naturally for me to go out and it is only occasionally, i.e. although this group is weekly, I often don't go because the topic doesn't engage me.

I have good social skills and an extrovert streak! I suppose the image of a semi recluse is someone withdrawn, inhibited and introverted....that is not really me since I have a positive mindset and enjoy life. I just need more time alone/solitude than most people.

My mum had a stroke and then developed vascular dementia. Dementia is a precursor to respiratory and circulatory complications e.g. contracting pneumonia is quite common. It is such a cruel illness since it strips the person of their character. Although my mother had a long life, dying at 96 (so joyless for the run up to this) - I always say that we lost her years before this....

As for diagnosing it more often ... not sure that this is a reason for it being more prevalent, i.e. we always had the diagnosis! There are several forms of it and we may well, in the future, discover some ghastly connection into what is causing it (aside from obvious causes like a stroke, brain injury or a brain tumor).
Have you ever done the Myers-Briggs test? It sounds like you straddle many lines. I am an extroverted introvert. I can be social but I prefer not too if I have a choice.

Have you ever done the Myers-Briggs test? It sounds like you straddle many lines. I am an extroverted introvert. I can be social but I prefer not too if I have a choice.
I remember trying to take this test a while ago but it was not free to do so. I have done (maybe similar) extrovert/introvert tests and I am pretty equal on both sides. I love a good party but, for the most part, prefer the freedom of being in my little sanctuary here!
color.gif

Well, as a self-confessed recluse I think you are doing very well! :) I wouldn't have the 'get-up-and-go' to join any sort of interest group. Well - I might if it was a cookery group. But such things don't exist around here (and please don't suggest I start one).
I'd hate to join any groups now. I've tried in the past but they have nasty rules like starting at a certain time on a certain evening and god help you if you turn up late or need to go early, or if you do things differently to how they do. I'm more of a do-things-on-impulse person and prefer to do my own thing.

I'd hate to join any groups now. I've tried in the past but they have nasty rules like starting at a certain time on a certain evening and god help you if you turn up late or need to go early, or if you do things differently to how they do. I'm more of a do-things-on-impulse person and prefer to do my own thing.
Wow...sounds like you are easily put off and/or have had some unfortunate experiences. Groups differ widely according to the type of group they are! The philosophy group (I just went to today) starts at 5 p.m. so obviously caters for latecomers (arriving from work). It takes place in a library. There might be stricter rules for, say, a meditation group - understandably so.

Wow...sounds like you are easily put off and/or have had some unfortunate experiences. Groups differ widely according to the type of group they are! The philosophy group (I just went to today) starts at 5 p.m. so obviously caters for latecomers (arriving from work). It takes place in a library. There might be stricter rules for, say, a meditation group - understandably so.
Mainly art groups, but I think they are confined to certain hours by the local authority and like you to be there for the whole time. It's a bit academic now anyway. The charges have gone up so much locally that I can't afford to go anyway. Concessions for over 65s have gone out of the window. One of the groups I wanted to go to has gone up from £0 to over £600 a year and the free taster weeks now cost £43. £12 a week may not be much if you are working, but I could live for a week on that. There are plenty of courses that are completely free on the internet (OU etc) nowadays and you only have to pay for the certificates if you need the qualifications for your job. Suits me much better as I was always interested in those courses that had no provisions for people who just wanted to do them for fun. Plus of course there are no set hours, and you can log in at your leisure.

Mainly art groups, but I think they are confined to certain hours by the local authority and like you to be there for the whole time. It's a bit academic now anyway. The charges have gone up so much locally that I can't afford to go anyway. Concessions for over 65s have gone out of the window. One of the groups I wanted to go to has gone up from £0 to over £600 a year and the free taster weeks now cost £43. £12 a week may not be much if you are working, but I could live for a week on that. There are plenty of courses that are completely free on the internet (OU etc) nowadays and you only have to pay for the certificates if you need the qualifications for your job. Suits me much better as I was always interested in those courses that had no provisions for people who just wanted to do them for fun. Plus of course there are no set hours, and you can log in at your leisure.
That's interesting. So you are doing an art course online? How does that work, e.g do you photo your artwork and submit it for appraisal?

I am interested in art too (I dabble in watercolours mostly). What kind of art do you do e.g. in what medium - abstract/still life etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom