The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
These were my previous projects.
They took much longer.
View attachment 28834 View attachment 28835

They'll last decades.
Next up will be an Arran cardigan for myself if no one else asks for anything. I'm aiming tho spin all of the yarn myself for that. I'm currently doing a wheelchair/lap blanket for myself that's completely handspun shetland wool. I'm hoping to make the cardigan from alpaca fleece that I've done everything for. Tbe blanket whilst it is handspun and well be hand dyed from natural dyes, had been spun from combed tops (so basically the hard work of combing and cleaning the fleece had already been done for you). Handspun alpaca is roughly $20-30 for 100g. That cardigan I've just finished took 1.4kg of yarn. The jumper only took 700g though.

My Aunty who recently passed away was high up in the wool spinning world here, she and my uncle had a huge farm in fairlie. She travelled all around the world running classes. I believe she was known the world over. Margaret Stewart. Have you heard of her. ?

Russ

One of my friends has a couple of spinning wheels and does use them fairly regularly. I was taught how to spin yarn by hand when I was in Greece, but didn't carry on with it when I went back to Germany or to the UK. Living in places where it wasn't easy to get the wool didn't help.
My oldest sister used to make bobbin lace, and I have tried it in the past but with not much success. It was too slow a pasttime in those days. I've still got the pillow, the bobbins, and a vast supply of pins; maybe I'll try again. She lived in the Isle of Wight so I didn't see her very often. One day she was doing a demonstration of bobbin lace making in our local Council's Bank Holiday Fair, and would you believe I missed her! When I got to the stand she was on, she was at lunch and by the time I got round to that stand again she was on a break.
I was more used to knitting than anything else, but she did teach me how to crochet. No mean feat because she was self-taught and left-handed. I was crocheting a shawl when my daughter decided to come into this world and finished it in hospital. The lovely German ward sister was amazed that I could even do it because of the way I held the crochet hook and the yarn. Since then I've learned how to do it the "proper" way. My daughter still has that shawl; both her daughters made good use of it when they were babies.

One of my friends has a couple of spinning wheels and does use them fairly regularly. I was taught how to spin yarn by hand when I was in Greece, but didn't carry on with it when I went back to Germany or to the UK. Living in places where it wasn't easy to get the wool didn't help.
My oldest sister used to make bobbin lace, and I have tried it in the past but with not much success. It was too slow a pasttime in those days. I've still got the pillow, the bobbins, and a vast supply of pins; maybe I'll try again. She lived in the Isle of Wight so I didn't see her very often. One day she was doing a demonstration of bobbin lace making in our local Council's Bank Holiday Fair, and would you believe I missed her! When I got to the stand she was on, she was at lunch and by the time I got round to that stand again she was on a break.
I was more used to knitting than anything else, but she did teach me how to crochet. No mean feat because she was self-taught and left-handed. I was crocheting a shawl when my daughter decided to come into this world and finished it in hospital. The lovely German ward sister was amazed that I could even do it because of the way I held the crochet hook and the yarn. Since then I've learned how to do it the "proper" way. My daughter still has that shawl; both her daughters made good use of it when they were babies.

My mum and daughter were/ are lefties. Don't get me started on watching lefties in the kitchen or cutting bread.

Russ

My mum and daughter were/ are lefties. Don't get me started on watching lefties in the kitchen or cutting bread.

Russ
One of my sisters was left-handed; the other one was right-handed. My brother was ambidextrous to the point where he could do separate things with either hand at the same time. I am neither left-handed nor right-handed as such. There are some things I only do with my right hand, and some things which I only do with my left hand. There are other things which I can do with either hand. I just like to confuse people!

At 11:00 am the temperature was only 28 degC but the humidity was oppressive. Now the temperature has risen to 36 degC and the humidity has dropped significantly. Not really pleasant but more comfortable.

:sun::sun::sun::sun:

We walked to the next village, coffee and cake then a bit of retail therapy then walk home, beautiful day. We have been out for almost 2 hours and we are lucky because our walk was very picturesque, bushes in bloom, birds singing, butterflies, dragon and damsel flies :thumbsup: :D

Sounds so picturesque the way you describe it. Winter here so about 11 deg c .

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom