The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many moons ago, we agreed to pet sit for a friend of a friend. Our friend was looking after the house and horse, we got the smaller pets including 2 guinea pigs which were meant to be quite old and sisters. One was stocky and small, very heavy, ginger and short haired. the other was thin boned but large and light, grey and white and very long haired. No way were they sisters by birth. When we got them, there was immediately a problem with the smaller one, Toffee. She had hay seeds in both eyes so it was an emergency trip to the vets. Sadly she was to loser sight in both eyes totally. The damage was long done. Someone had given them the wrong bedding .Hay instead of straw and burrowing into it. . infection etc. She became totally dependant on the other one called Fudge. But she was to survive another 5 or 6 years with us so I don't think they were as old as we were told. The family concerned didn't come back from Australia :whistling:

When Fudge died we needed an immediate replacement for best because of blind Toffee so she went with us to someone who responded to our SOS. And we're ended UKIP with a friend for her called Butterscotch. Butterscotch as it was to transpire was pregnant when we got her!

The cattery took in 2 females from a rescue place to help them out, no one knew at the time both females were pregnant, we know where both boys come from-born at the cattery not from a dodgy breeder and we have seen both mums so happy to take them in.

You absolutely must post photos! I'm jealous... Norway is on my bucket list because of the acclaimed Nordic cuisine.

I think that it was late 80s I was in Oslo entertaining BP representatives for dinner. There was two guys with their wives and me. The wine list came and the cheapest bottle was 35 quid. I obviously wasn't going to look a skinflint and order that, so I ordered the next cheapest - 50 quid. I was so relieved that they were driving and didn't want another bottle that I forgot all about what we were eating.

I think that it was late 80s I was in Oslo entertaining BP representatives for dinner. There was two guys with their wives and me. The wine list came and the cheapest bottle was 35 quid. I obviously wasn't going to look a skinflint and order that, so I ordered the next cheapest - 50 quid. I was so relieved that they were driving and didn't want another bottle that I forgot all about what we were eating.

Blimey! I wonder if alcohol is still so expensive there.

It is, there tends to be a very high tax on booze in Nordic countries.

In Iceland there was prohibition for many years because heavy drinking in the dark winters was a national crisis. As of now drink is only available at government run premises with limited opening hours.

I always remember first visit to sydley in about 87? Our friend took us up the tower to a revolving restaurant called centre point???? I think. Her friend was a guy that liked the high life. He suggested I buy the wine and he would get desserts. He then ordered a bottle of Gewurtztraminer, it was like $60 in 1987? More than a weeks wages. I hate that guy to this day,lol.

Russ

I always remember first visit to sydley in about 87? Our friend took us up the tower to a revolving restaurant called centre point???? I think. Her friend was a guy that liked the high life. He suggested I buy the wine and he would get desserts. He then ordered a bottle of Gewurtztraminer, it was like $60 in 1987? More than a weeks wages. I hate that guy to this day,lol.

I remember a colleague taking his wife to the revolving restaurant in Hong Kong. After they were seated she asked if they could move so as not to be near the toilets!

Definitely. We were last there 7-8 years ago and even getting a beer was expensive (£8 or £9 a bottle). It was a very occasional treat. Very occasional.

We actually took our own (Irish) whiskey with us so thay were could celebrate cycling from the UK to the very far north of Norway, Nordkapp (via the Lofoten Islands). No way were we buying it there. (I knew from many family (parents family and husband family) holidays, including our honeymoon, just how expensive alcohol was in Scandinavia. )

I'd hate to stereotype anyone, including Norwegians, but I must admit the various Norwegians I've encountered over the years have been notable for knocking back the drink with some abandon. It's hard to escape the conclusion that they make up for things when drink prices are a bit cheaper elsewhere.

I'd hate to stereotype anyone, including Norwegians, but I must admit the various Norwegians I've encountered over the years have been notable for knocking back the drink with some abandon. It's hard to escape the conclusion that they make up for things when drink prices are a bit cheaper elsewhere.

The MD of our JV partner in Stavanger came over to accompany us to a meeting in London with a potential client. He brought his accountant with him. They arrived the previous afternoon and the accountant was totally fishcaked when he alighted the plane. He made a total pillock of himself during the evening meal (which happened to be in the Hilton rooftop restaurant where they were staying). I was all in favour of leaving the bugger in bed the next morning but his boss said no. He came to the meeting and contributed not one iota to the proceedings. Even though I didn't meet him again, I still remember his name - Schell Ormadsen (sp?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom