The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got into the habit of buying secondhand books from wob.com

And some of the cooking books come with handwritten notes left by the previous owner :laugh:

Thank you, kind stranger, for letting me know this frittata is very good!
View attachment 108000
I do that in my cookbooks, though my notes frequently aren’t family-oriented. :laugh:

I was looking at books to donate to the library recently and saw a couple of those and thought, “Nope…can’t give them that one.”

I do that in my cookbooks, though my notes frequently aren’t family-oriented. :laugh:

I was looking at books to donate to the library recently and saw a couple of those and thought, “Nope…can’t give them that one.”
Now I am curious about those "not family-oriented" notes :laugh:

Is one of them a Toni Morrison cookbook or a cookbook on African American recipes? That might not be allowed in public Libraries in places like Texas and Ohio. :facepalm:

CD

I've had to get up early for the past eight days ... did I say that I DO NOT like to get up early and going for an entire day.
I'm so pooped!
Today was the last straw on my back, I had to do more imaging, but this time with contrast - nuclear btw, but still, that meant yet another IV, I HATE those things!

oooh i completly understand what your going through after 5 back surgeries i do indeed understand
i once went to the ER with my back and it just so happened that they had a guy that was training to be an EMT and i was the 1st time he ever tried to start an IV . they asked me if it would ok for him to insert the IV and explained that it was his 1st time, i said sure after all some one has to be their 1st the guy was a nice young man and was nervouse and i understood but on about the 15 try i told him he was going to have to go get help ,i know it embarrassed him and i really didn't mind the first 8-10 pokes but by about the 15th i figured he had enough pratice and my arm was getting pretty sore the nurse came in and got it on her 1st try

I'm due to be going out for a Christmas lunch on Tuesday. I'm thinking I might not go.

Screenshot_20231214_132718_Weatherzone+.jpg

Today as part of a team-building event at work, we had a trivia contest (which my team won, because I know a lot of really useless facts).

One of the categories was “Gen Z slang”. I actually knew a couple of the terms (like “no cap” and “stan”), but today I learned the meanings of the following words:

Bussin’
Rizz
Drip
Cheugy

I suspect I will soon not be able to understand the younger generation when they speak. I feel like a dinosaur!

Today as part of a team-building event at work, we had a trivia contest (which my team won, because I know a lot of really useless facts).

One of the categories was “Gen Z slang”. I actually knew a couple of the terms (like “no cap” and “stan”), but today I learned the meanings of the following words:

Bussin’
Rizz
Drip
Cheugy

I suspect I will soon not be able to understand the younger generation when they speak. I feel like a dinosaur!

Bussin' is the only one from your post that I know, and only because it relates to food. I'll never use it, but at least I know what it means.

CD

Bussin’
Rizz
Drip
Cheugy

Rizz was just named Word of the Year by…somebody.

Boys new kitchen doors and hob are in place 👍👍👍

They are very happy, as am I, it’s in keeping with the rest of the building and is mannish enough to satisy. It looks very similar to before but the chipped, blown and generally damaged laminate doors are now solid wood. Which they even do a matching repair kit for in case you damage it!

The before‘s -
IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg

Looks much worse IRL. I filled and painted the big chunks of white formica that were missing to tide them over until the kitchen fitters were free and it doesn‘t show in the pics above.

And now the after (the pics make it look darker than it really is, it’s closer to the original shade above) -
IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

We got out of their way and went out for breakfast. If you ever find yourself in Bristol and in need of a full English I can recommend ‘The Cozy Club’.
It‘s right next to where the boys live, less than 2 minutes walk to get there.
It was all executed to perfection which is rare with breakfast and there‘s usually a component thats neglected, often the plates are not warmed so midway through a breakfast marathon things go cold but not here.

Sorry no pics of breakfast but heres the menu and the lovely ceiling, it’s the former bank exchange.

Also sorry about the giant finger in the photo. I considered a photo shop fix for about 10 seconds and decided life’s too short 😂

IMG_1658.jpeg

The Menu (there was a large gluten free menu too which contained pretty much everything on the normal menu) and the gluten free bread stayed tasty when soaked in the poached egg which is nothing short of a miracle, usually gluten free bread disintegrates on contact with any liquid.

IMG_1656.jpeg

I had the ‘Butcher‘s Brunch’ and the treacle cured pork belly was so good I nearly asked for more!!

Then we trotted over to pick up my restored Hamilton. I’m thrilled with it. It’s rare my skinny wrists can carry a watch, especially a mens watch. So here it is. The photo really doesn‘t do it justice, it’s in excellent condition for a watch that will soon be 100 years old.

IMG_1662.jpeg

Last edited:
Then we trotted over the cinema and discovered it’s closed down, a massive newly built cinema de lux in Bristols flagship shopping quarter has closed its doors. Very sad. Bristol centres other main cinema (an Odeon) doesn’t get going til later so was also closed.

However not to be deterred we jumped in the car and went to the nearest cinema 12 mins away and watched ‘Wonka‘ We had the whole cinema to ourselves which was fabulous because we could comment on the film as we watched it in an unfiltered way.

I don‘t like people talking over films usually but this is a musical (my least favourite genre) so it was lovely to chat about the bad and good acting.

I stopped of at Brockley Coombe farm shop on the way home and bought some excellent Isle of Wight Tomatoes. Looking forward to those with a sprinkling of salt later 👍

Boys new kitchen doors and hob are in place 👍👍👍

They are very happy, as am I, it’s in keeping with the rest of the building and is mannish enough to satisy. It looks very similar to before but the chipped, blown and generally damaged laminate doors are now solid wood. Which they even do a matching repair kit for in case you damage it!

The before‘s -
View attachment 108068

View attachment 108070

View attachment 108071
Looks much worse IRL. I filled and painted the big chunks of white formica that were missing to tide them over until the kitchen fitters were free and it doesn‘t show in the pics above.

And now the after (the pics make it look darker than it really is, it’s closer to the original shade above) -
View attachment 108069

View attachment 108072

View attachment 108073

Let me know if they are not pleased, so I can get on a plane to the UK, drive to their flat, and smack them. That's a nicer kitchen than anyone I ever knew had as a college student.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom