The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this picture in my dad's chest of drawers. It proves that I really did go to college (uni), and graduated. :laugh:

View attachment 107764

BTW, the school changed names in 1985 to The University of North Texas.

CD
I was a junior in high school, trying to impress the ladies with my banjo skills.

They remained decidedly unimpressed. :laugh:

Well, sounds like you had four actual pizzas.

CD :D

Trouble is they were very salty so a few of us were thirsty, I went to the shop and was going to buy coke and diet coke but my boss insisted on giving me the money for a bottle of coke because she needed the change, so I bought a bottle of full strength, all the sugar made me feel even more thirsty...it was not pleasant.

There's a chance tomorrow might be hot.

Screenshot_20231208_204745_Weatherzone+.jpg

It's still 29°C outside and 9pm.

Last edited:
A couple of hours ago a nice lady let her BMW mate with the back of my Mini whilst we were stopped at traffic lights. New bumper required but fortunately Lu and I are fine, if a little miffed.
By chance the police turned up soon after and she admitted liability in front of them, further good fortune we both have the same insurance company so repairs should be sorted swiftly.
I have been driving for 40 years and this is the first collision I have been in. Ho hum.

A couple of hours ago a nice lady let her BMW mate with the back of my Mini whilst we were stopped at traffic lights. New bumper required but fortunately Lu and I are fine, if a little miffed.
By chance the police turned up soon after and she admitted liability in front of them, further good fortune we both have the same insurance company so repairs should be sorted swiftly.
I have been driving for 40 years and this is the first collision I have been in. Ho hum.
It’s usually the classic slowing to a stop and looking at something else (usually a mobile phone) before halted. It’s happened to me more than once.

Last time, even though I was completely stationary and the insurance initially said they would pay, once the work was finsihed they then refused.

They did pay in the end but it was stressful and I had to put that accident down on my insurance forms for 5 bloody years.

Most annoyingly even if it’s not your fault it can affect your premium if you have another accident. This is because the insurance company are b**sta*ds will consider something like your route or where you park your car or that your beahviour in some way contributes to the accident happening, ie you are a riskier bet.

Don’t want to teach you to suck eggs but if she hit your car hard enough to need a new bumper then make sure the rest of the car is thoroughly checked.
The first time it happened to I was 18. I arrived at my destination thinking it was only the bumper that was slightly damaged and then couldn’t get the boot shut due to a tiny shift forwards of the boot latch.

Chassis are surprisingly easily bent out of shape.

It’s usually the classic slowing to a stop and looking at something else (usually a mobile phone) before halted. It’s happened to me more than once.

Last time, even though I was completely stationary and the insurance initially said they would pay, once the work was finsihed they then refused.

They did pay in the end but it was stressful and I had to put that accident down on my insurance forms for 5 bloody years.

Most annoyingly even if it’s not your fault it can affect your premium if you have another accident. This is because the insurance company are b**sta*ds will consider something like your route or where you park your car or that your beahviour in some way contributes to the accident happening, ie you are a riskier bet.

Don’t want to teach you to suck eggs but if she hit your car hard enough to need a new bumper then make sure the rest of the car is thoroughly checked.
The first time it happened to I was 18. I arrived at my destination thinking it was only the bumper that was slightly damaged and then couldn’t get the boot shut due to a tiny shift forwards of the boot latch.

I asked the police if they had checked her phone, she said she wasn't using it so I then asked why didn't she stop? She hit us with a fair old whack.

The rear door is fine, all the damage was low down, mainly scuffing with a small crack. In the good old days a bit of isopon and a waft of a spray can would sort it, now of course BMW will insist on replacing the whole thing.

The rear door is fine, all the damage was low down, mainly scuffing with a small crack. In the good old days a bit of isopon and a waft of a spray can would sort it, now of course BMW will insist on replacing the whole thing.
Everything looked fine on my parents car too. Worth having it thoroughly checked.

We often did used to drive around in cars that looked like a patchwork quilt though didn’t we 😆

Sorry to hear that.

In Australia, if someone runs in to the back of you, it is always assumed that it is their fault unless they can prove otherwise. That's a pleasant change.

It is also expected that drivers will have 2 accidents every 3 years (because of kangaroo, wallabies, wombats and emus, as well as a few other native wildlife problems). Anything more than that is considered an issue.

I came here with a totally clean licence, totally accident free. It took less than 10 days with our new vehicle to hit a roo and do lots of damage (the blizzard didn't help matters). We'd been in the country for maybe 8 weeks at that point. Hubby hit one 10 days later (not on insurance), then another inside 2 years. It doesn't help that they are desert coloured and their eyes don't reflect light. Add that to erratic, unpredictable behaviour and it's a recipe for accidents sadly.

The one thing we have found is that the approach here does relieve stress. But insurance isn't cheap and you have to have 2 lots of you actually want to get your vehicle repaired, not just written off. There's compulsory 3rd party CTP, which is mandatory to even have a vehicle, then there is another insurance for your vehicle and passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom