• Steak and Kidney Pie

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Sticky Toffee Pudding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Afternoon Tea

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
What is the best British dish?
Traditionally, we Brits have been slammed because our cuisine is "simple". Typically, meat and 2 veg. And yet, simplicity is beauty, is delicious. Think of a Sunday lunch; an absolute must for a British family. Roast beef (obviously cooked to perfection) with crispy, to-die-for roast potatoes and parsnips, Yorkshire pudding, tender baby carrots, nutty Brussels sprouts, tender cabbage; what's not to like about that?
Afternoon Tea. Delicate, tasty sandwiches with one or two ingredients (roast beef & horseradish, egg & cress, Cheddar cheese & chutney, ham & cheese. And then scones with cream and strawberry jam. Delicate Victoria sponge.
If you want a really good start to the day? 2 sausages, 2 fried eggs, baked beans, fried bread, mushrooms, and a slice or two of black pudding.
For dessert? Apple pie (yes, we invented it), rhubarb crumble, Eton mess, lemon posset, spotted dick, bread & butter pudding, sticky toffee pudding - what's not to like there?
Nothing not to like. We Americans have a similar cuisine certainly borrowed from the UK. We think of British dishes as "regular" dishes while Italian or French or Chinese or Mexican are considered more exotic. Dinner today was baked chicken thighs, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I think many Americans would sneer at that but it is tasty and healthy fare. I imagine most Brits would like it.

Basic Sunday Roast tomorrow.
Roast Beef, Roast potatoes, Mashed Swede, Brussel Sprouts, Yorkshire pudding, Pork Crackling sticks, Red wine gravy and the absolute must have don’t want do eat beef without it- hot horseradish!!

As I’m a bit on the knackered side of things I’m cheating with some shop bought items and freezer stash.
The mash swede is by Mash Direct (just add a knob of butter to help it on it’s way), the gluten free Yorkshire puddings are from The Real Yorkshire Pudding Company (they’re ok but not as good as homemade), the crackling sticks are from Marks and Spencer (they re-crisp in the oven well), the gravy was a 24 hours slow cooked red wine gravy that I made a while ago and still have a couple of containers in the freezer.

Hopefully that’ll lighten the load and still be tasty 🤞

If you took away the crackling sticks that’s about as traditional a standard Sunday lunch as you can get.

Basic Sunday Roast tomorrow.
Roast Beef, Roast potatoes, Mashed Swede, Brussel Sprouts, Yorkshire pudding, Pork Crackling sticks, Red wine gravy and the absolute must have don’t want do eat beef without it- hot horseradish!!

As I’m a bit on the knackered side of things I’m cheating with some shop bought items and freezer stash.
The mash swede is by Mash Direct (just add a knob of butter to help it on it’s way), the gluten free Yorkshire puddings are from The Real Yorkshire Pudding Company (they’re ok but not as good as homemade), the crackling sticks are from Marks and Spencer (they re-crisp in the oven well), the gravy was a 24 hours slow cooked red wine gravy that I made a while ago and still have a couple of containers in the freezer.

Hopefully that’ll lighten the load and still be tasty 🤞

If you took away the crackling sticks that’s about as traditional a standard Sunday lunch as you can get.

I'm not sure red wine gravy is 'traditional'. Well it certainly wasn't when I was growing up. It was Bisto gravy all the way...

I'm not sure red wine gravy is 'traditional'. Well it certainly wasn't when I was growing up. It was Bisto gravy all the way...

Yer red wine gravy didn’t appear on the scene until later but gravy is one of those make or break items I’m prepared to go the extra mile on.
Would you consider Bisto a good gravy now though?
It’s not one I use without some serious zhuzhing up.

Bisto gravy is a staple in my house, I have a few to choose from in my kitchen:

20241005_183023401_iOS.jpg

Obviously the best gravy is homemade gravy or even better than homemade gravy is hybrid gravy where I take the juices from my chicken and instead of thickening it with cornflour, I use some Bisto gravy granules instead to thicken it and it's absolutely amazing!

Yer red wine gravy didn’t appear on the scene until later but gravy is one of those make or break items I’m prepared to go the extra mile on.
Would you consider Bisto a good gravy now though?
It’s not one I use without some serious zhuzhing up.

I make red wine gravy/sauce of course not always with a roast dinner. Is Bisto a good gravy? Probably not but I do like it sometimes. And it can be made hybrid as TheSoloChef says above.

Bisto gravy is a staple in my house, I have a few to choose from in my kitchen:

View attachment 119241

Obviously the best gravy is homemade gravy or even better than homemade gravy is hybrid gravy where I take the juices from my chicken and instead of thickening it with cornflour, I use some Bisto gravy granules instead to thicken it and it's absolutely amazing!

Yer agree it works better with the meat juices. I’ve used the Bisto ‘Best’ onion gravy as thickener before and thought it wasn’t bad at all.
I like robustly flavoured gravy so I tend to make my gravy separately before the meal.
I make about 2 litres and freeze half.

I cook veggies and meat (chicken wings, a bit of liver, whatever beef is on offer) herbs, spices, half a pack of butter with a bottle of red wine overnight.
Then I sift out the chicken wings and attack it with a stick blender.
Sieve it and set about adjusting the flavour.
Usually with a bit of mustard, maybe a glug of balsamic vinegar and often a fat spoonful of onion jam, salt n pepper or sometimes liquid aminos instead of salt. Marks and Spencers do an amazing concentrated stock that definitely goes in if I’ve got it.
But it all depends on how the base tastes.

To get enough juices and marrow melting out for the meaty flavour I like I would have to decimate the joint for the main meal.
I don’t like dry meat one bit so I focus on keeping as much of the meat juices in there as possible.
It’s all a bit costly and time consuming but I enjoy it so much it’s worth it.
Tbh I prefer the gravy to the actual meat 😂

I recently found out that there is a typical British place in Milan called “The Friends” that cooks British food and of course there is Sunday Roast on their menu.

I worked today (two more weeks and then it is over) so I couldn't go but I will definitely do it on the first free Sunday before I leave for Ireland.

IMG_6970.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom