Vinager spoiled

grumpyoldman

Local time
8:03 PM
yesterday i got a jug of white vinager out from under my cabinet to use and when i poured it into a measuring cup
i saw what looked like white stringy things floating in it , thinking it was bad and not knowing what had gotten into it
i poured it out and went and bought a new jug, afterwards i googled if vinager could go bad , what i learned was my vinager was not bad at all and what i was seeing was called " Mother of vinager " completly harmless !!! so i poured out 1/2 gallon for nothing
just thought you folks might want to know , cause i sure learned something new

yesterday i got a jug of white vinager out from under my cabinet to use and when i poured it into a measuring cup
i saw what looked like white stringy things floating in it , thinking it was bad and not knowing what had gotten into it
i poured it out and went and bought a new jug, afterwards i googled if vinager could go bad , what i learned was my vinager was not bad at all and what i was seeing was called " Mother of vinager " completly harmless !!! so i poured out 1/2 gallon for nothing
just thought you folks might want to know , cause i sure learned something new
That's good information for people to have, thank you for sharing. And yup, I did know this, although it doesn't often happen with white vinegar. I buy my apple cider vinegar from Bragg's which is sold with the mother in it. Sometimes my red wine and my Asian rice wine vinegars have gone off and built up a small amount of residue when I have not used them for a few years.

You can use that white wine vinegar for stain and soap scum removal (put in a spray bottle to remove soap residue in the shower and such). It's also a good weed killer for cracks in pavement (don't let it get on your grass or plants you want to keep alive). It's got lots of practical uses, so if you decide you don't like the vinegar with the mother in it after it develops, you don't have to just pour it down the sink.

Yep, you can even buy it where the label will say, “…with mother,” or “…including the mother.” - I doubt you’re the first person who’s done that.

You can use the vinegar "mother" to make more vinegar.
A few years ago, when the kids used to have crazy parties until 2am, I'd get up in the morning and find half-empty bottles of wine, or prosecco, etc. I'd find the vinegar mother, dump it in the bottle, fill the bottle with all the leftovers and cork it. Leave it for a month or so, then you can use it.

I'd find the vinegar mother, dump it in the bottle, fill the bottle with all the leftovers and cork it.
That is very wise, brilliant reuse of leftover wine.

On the parenting side, did you ever have to remind the kids to help you with cleaning the aftermath?

From you experience, is it truly as late as aged 25 that the kids are aware and responsible?

Am always grateful and eager to hear parents of older kids' stories.

On the vinegar topic, thanks for sharing.

White vinegar I mostly use for cleaning.

For some reason I don't enjoy it's taste.

In my head I have a clear picture of the Mother, but not exactly how to use it, great, definitely useful to know.

That is very wise, brilliant reuse of leftover wine.

On the parenting side, did you ever have to remind the kids to help you with cleaning the aftermath?

From you experience, is it truly as late as aged 25 that the kids are aware and responsible?

Am always grateful and eager to hear parents of older kids' stories.
Most kids learn a lot from example, and I have faith that one day you will be pleasantly surprised by how much your daughter picks up from your fine ethics and from you staying the course. Stay strong, it will get better!

are you sure ?
i have had a heart attack ,6 back surgeries , blind in my right eye 1/2 blind in my left
if i'm not old i sure do a good impression of it haha
I knew you'd had some health issues but didn't realize the extent. Chronologically in this day and age 68 isn't that old when there are people are living to be over 100. I wish you good health for the remainder of your years. Take it easy on yourself!

Back
Top Bottom