What did you cook or eat today (June 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gratin Dauphinois, beef burger, carrots and broccoli
20240601_170415.jpg

Bone in pork belly with an Asian soy honey glaze for dipping and a classic bright salad of baby plum tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber and mixed leaves, no pic of that plated because we were all just too hungry 😂
IMG_2254.jpeg

The crackling was devine and the pork belly confit under it was delicious. I like Nagi from Recipe Tin Eats method for pork belly, it never seems to fail.

IMG_2238.jpeg

Hungarian Goulash before going in the slow cooker, this one I’m waiting to finish, it’s still blipping away on low n slow.

IMG_2239.jpeg

IMG_2250.jpeg

Faggots before and after. Thought folk might like to see the caul they’re wrapped in. Cooked traditionally in a strong flavoured onion gravy. I’ll serve them with mash and broccoli later in the week.

IMG_2258.jpeg

TR’s chicken wings. They’re much crispier than they look. I’m amazed they survived the abuse they had! They were taken out of the oven halfway through cooking because the crackling exploded upwards and was touching the top of the oven so the wings were sacrificed to make enough space.
But when the pork belly came out I put them back in and they picked up right where they left off and were super crispy.
So much so that even though every one was half full of pork belly these were scoffed at speed too!

IMG_2245.jpeg

Sausage and lentil casserole (stew). I made an unusual error for me- I didn’t check the heat of the new jar of cayenne pepper before adding it, it is hot! So this is a bit spicier than usual.
The Heinz finely chopped tinned tomatoes had a very bright red colour.

So that’s today’s cooking done. Time for a little lie down! 😂

Is that easy to get there? It’s very difficult to find in my area.
You can’t buy that sort of thing in a supermarket but the butchers will get you anything you ask for and because they buy the whole animal they normally already have whatever you ask for in their cold store.
It’s the sort of thing they throw in for free when you’re buying your meat from them 👍

Bone in pork belly with an Asian soy honey glaze for dipping and a classic bright salad of baby plum tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber and mixed leaves, no pic of that plated because we were all just too hungry 😂
View attachment 114291
The crackling was devine and the pork belly confit under it was delicious. I like Nagi from Recipe Tin Eats method for pork belly, it never seems to fail.

View attachment 114292
Hungarian Goulash before going in the slow cooker, this one I’m waiting to finish, it’s still blipping away on low n slow.

View attachment 114294

View attachment 114295
Faggots before and after. Thought folk might like to see the caul they’re wrapped in. Cooked traditionally in a strong flavoured onion gravy. I’ll serve them with mash and broccoli later in the week.

View attachment 114293

TR’s chicken wings. They’re much crispier than they look. I’m amazed they survived the abuse they had! They were taken out of the oven halfway through cooking because the crackling exploded upwards and was touching the top of the oven so the wings were sacrificed to make enough space.
But when the pork belly came out I put them back in and they picked up right where they left off and were super crispy.
So much so that even though every one was half full of pork belly these were scoffed at speed too!

View attachment 114296
Sausage and lentil casserole (stew). I made an unusual error for me- I didn’t check the heat of the new jar of cayenne pepper before adding it, it is hot! So this is a bit spicier than usual.

Did you eat all of that?

Did you eat all of that?
We ate all the pork belly and salad and the wings the other dishes are for the next three lunches. Just trying to prep for a busy week ahead and as you know Goulash, casseroles, stews all improve with some resting time so it’s not a loss to get them ready now 👍

You can’t buy that sort of thing in a supermarket but the butchers will get you anything you ask for and because they buy the whole animal they normally already have whatever you ask for in their cold store.
It’s the sort of thing they throw in for free when you’re buying your meat from them 👍

You are lucky to have a butchers! I'm now craving faggots.

You are lucky to have a butchers! I'm now craving faggots.
We had one in the village high street since forever, he closed, then another butcher reopened there, then he closed (apparently some dodgy trading went on and he got caught) and now we seem to have a good one so fingers crossed he makes a go of it.

On a friday the queue is out of the door so I’m really hoping he stays 🤞

View attachment 114291

View attachment 114292

View attachment 114294

View attachment 114295

View attachment 114293

View attachment 114296

And what was the general consensus of the offspring?

And what was the general consensus of the offspring?
On the wings or the pork belly? Doesn’t matter actually they loved them both.

If you mean the faggots they’ve not been eaten yet, I was hoping to save that til tomorrow but I’ve just seen one of them eyeing it up so it might not make it that far 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom