Dishwasher V’s Handwashing

Do you mostly dishwasher or hand wash up?

• Hand wash

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Dishwasher

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
Has anyone here ever tried using their dishwasher as seen in the tv ad above?
I have and I call BS! It DOES NOT work!
My understanding of the automatic electric dishwasher today is that it can get the water much hotter than your tap.
My new machine has several setting options, one of them is sanitize.
I have a countertop machine, so I have to wash pots & pans by hand. Butit does an amazing job on other things! The Baby Care cycle heats the wash & final rinse to about 160 degrees to sanitize the load. :whistling:
Farberware Countertop Dishwasher..jpg

Last edited:
Our dishwasher is old and we only use it when we have guests.
We wash by hand, in cold water, plenty of soap, then clean with running water.
Considering there are over 6,000,000 bacteria in the human mouth at any one time, a few more won't make much difference...

Our dishwasher is old and we only use it when we have guests.
We wash by hand, in cold water, plenty of soap, then clean with running water.
Considering there are over 6,000,000 bacteria in the human mouth at any one time, a few more won't make much difference...
Yeah, I am getting old, too. I do wash a lot of dishes by hand! But I wash with the hottest water possible. Even with a lot of soap sometimes oily residue doesn't come off well. And if anything has touched raw meat (except knives, of course--I always handwash) you had better believe it's going in the dishwasher! Though we do have a dishwasher, if I have stuff I am going to need before the dishwasher comes close to full (other than the cutting mats that had raw meat on them), I will just wash by hand.

In the past I always hand washed my dishes etc. until one day my mates parents were upgrading their slimline dishwasher for a full size one and asked if I wanted it. I happened to have an empty gap in my kitchen that was the perfect size for it so I said I'd give it a go and took it off their hands...

Needless to say I did a bit of research and as I had a subscription to the Which website I had a look there too and basically as long as the dishwasher is full, it uses less water and energy than washing up by hand. So in short, its cheaper and better for the environment to use a dishwasher when it's full.

I've never washed any saucepans, frying pans or drinking glasses in it though, they always get washed up by hand.

When it comes to dishwasher tablets I dont use a particular one, I have 3 carefully chosen ones to chose from instead! Which one I use depends on how dirty the plates are and how long they've been in the dishwasher - being single I have 6 plates etc. so it can take up to 6 days for it to be full.

Ours gets run once every 2-3 days usually unless I have people over for dinner.
It's odd but I manage to pretty well fill the dishwasher every day even though there are only two of us. So it's on overnight and unloaded whole I make tea in the morning.

It's odd but I manage to pretty well fill the dishwasher every day even though there are only two of us. So it's on overnight and unloaded whole I make tea in the morning.
Do we have bigger dishwashers in the US or something?

I don't put pots and pans in my dishwasher, or my nice kitchen knives...I remember that you do and I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with it, I just don't do that myself. So it takes longer to fill up with glassware, plates, and bowls. Also I have nice dishes but I rarely use the set (my mother's China) and I would never put that in either.

Do we have bigger dishwashers in the US or something?

I don't put pots and pans in my dishwasher, or my nice kitchen knives...I remember that you do and I don't necessarily think there is anything wrong with it, I just don't do that myself. So it takes longer to fill up with glassware, plates, and bowls. Also I have nice dishes but I rarely use the set (my mother's China) and I would never put that in either.
I don't think our dishwashers are smaller but I suppose they might be. Yeah, I put everything in: chopping boards, bowls, plates, cutlery, knives, glasses, mugs, saucepans etc. I will take a photo of an average day's load...

I’ll get a pic of mine when it’s ready to run, probably tomorrow.

the USA's illustrious EPA has regulated how much water may not be used in a dishwasher . . .
a couple of recent blurbs saying . . . it uses less water to wash any minimal amount in the dishwasher than doing it by hand.
hence one should run the dishwasher every single day, whether you need to . . . or not.

if it's like much of our big brother government's "facts" . . . it may be true under some set of circumstances that only a pseudo-scientist in a government lab can create.

Back
Top Bottom