Full English Breakfast

Because its a lot of calories? I think you can more or less double the calories of the bread by frying it. But that isn't necessarily a huge amount of calories. One fried slice (not thick sliced) is around 170 Kcals (ish)
I think it’s just that toast is so ingrained here as what one does with a slice (or two) of bread for breakfast - fried bread isn’t even a thing here at all.

Aah, how lovely to have a new thread for this topic, thank you!

Can hardly wait to cook the beans for it!

When I shared a picture of a Full EB with my boyfriend, he said, well, the veggies can go!😅
I very willingly would accept his veggies of his plate, should it occur😁

I politely disagree with him on that, as the veggies go wonderfully with the meat,imo, refresh...

As you can tell, I am on a new obsession path😅

Anyways, one of the full EB was served ( yt video) with one egg, and someone commented " what? 1 egg? 1 egg is an offense for the chicken!"😂

I burst laughing.
My DH likes it when I make him a breakfast with Mexican-seasoned pinto beans in it. One day I just wanted to use up some leftovers, so I heated up the beans from our Chipotle chicken dinner the night before with a slice of melted cheese on top and 2 over-medium fried eggs on top of that. I did it again the next time I had leftover beans and it seemed to suit him.

And there is the controversial 'hash brown'. Controversial because some regard it as an American import!
Yeah, rascal can't figure out how we American's like potatoes with breakfast, so I guess that didn't cross over to NZ. But I give him a hard time because he will eat beans out of a can, cold. To each their own, I reckon!

Oh - and black pudding. I adore it.

Here is one of mine with (bought frozen) hash browns and black pudding in centre stage:

fullsizeoutput_71dc.jpeg

Controversial because some regard it as an American import!
No doubt at all. It is, but then there's a possibility that baked beans are as well...
There was (maybe still is) a fantastic place in Oxford Market called George's. Students would go there for breakfast before big exams - mods or finals. Fried bread all the way, big thick slices of it. and Lion's Blood (strong tea) in huge chipped mugs.
At home we'd have left over roast potatoes from Sunday lunch, fried up in bacon fat.

And there is the controversial 'hash brown'. Controversial because some regard it as an American import!
Indeed, I reckon it was featured in one of the videos on yt...what would you say? What speaks traditional Full EB?
Bubble and squeak, isn't it?

The video expressed best satisfaction with an Italian place called E Pellici
That's in Bethnal Green Rd, in the east end of London.
There's a really good one in Westminster/Pimlico called the Regency Café. No nonsense café, apparently - set breakfast, very cheap and no changes:
  • Set Breakfast deal – £6.95
    (1 Egg + 2 Bacon + Sausage + (Beans OR Tomatoes) + (Bread OR Toast) + (Tea OR Coffee)). No changes!
  • Breakfast Extras:
    • Black Pudding – £1.20
    • Bubble & Squeak –£1.20
    • Hash Browns –£1.20
  • Omelettes – £4.50
    (Plain Omelette with Chips). Any extra Filling +80p
  • Egg & 2 bacon – £3.30
  • Egg sausage & baked beans – £3.00
  • Egg Bacon & sausage – £4.30
  • Egg Bacon & tinned tomatoes – £4.30
  • 2 Eggs & Chips – £4.00
  • 2 sausages & chips – £4.00
  • Burger egg & chips – £5.85
  • Cornbeef egg & chips – £5.10

having done more travel than I'da volunteered for . . .

"hash browns" is totally an undefined food item.
it is whatever the eatery chooses to put on the plate.

fried rounds, fried diced, with/without (long long list....)
right down to essentially minced potato with (?)
further down to long potato shreds glued together with mystery something . . .

DW likes it done:
1725647215552.jpeg

having done more travel than I'da volunteered for . . .

"hash browns" is totally an undefined food item.
it is whatever the eatery chooses to put on the plate.

DW likes it done:
View attachment 118238

Is that in the USA - your experience travelling and ordering hash browns, I mean? The ones in your photo would definitely be called fried or sautèed potatoes in the UK.

25 years ago, I had to travel to NY almost every 3-4 weeks. The hotel I always stayed at did something called "breakfast potatoes"; cooked potatoes fried up with some onion and peppers.
Never missed breakfast!

Back
Top Bottom