Show me your breakfast (2024)

Craig gets an allowance each month through his Medicare plan. It's a use it or lose it type thing, doesn't roll over. So, I try to use at least part of it on pantry items each month. We were out of oatmeal so I ordered that, plus a few other things. Holy moly, it's huge. We'll never get that used up before it goes stale since we only use it for meatloaf and occasionally oatmeal cookies. So, I decided to make overnight oatmeal since I had never tried it before.

Peanut butter and banana overnight oatmeal.

View attachment 116581
I use oats in pancake batter. It helps up the fiber intake and I barely notice they're in there.

All the stuff that goes in my Cream o’ Wheat:

IMG_8887.jpeg

Wow, that is a cool idea. Do you grind the oats prior?
No, but I soak them for about 30 minutes before adding the other ingredients to the bowl. Sometimes I use buttermilk, sometimes I used almond milk, sometimes a mixture of both. I also often add a ripe banana to the mix. Here in the US most pancakes are just made with the flour, leavening aid (baking soda or baking powder), and water (though some do use buttermilk). I always use vanilla extract and an egg in there with the buttermilk/almond milk. It makes for a better flavor and added nutrition.

always use vanilla extract and an egg in there with the buttermilk/almond milk. It makes for a better flavor and added nutrition.
Very cool. Egg is always in for me too. And vanilla, yes. Sometimes/often chia. Sometimes 5 ml of rum. Plant milk, yes.

But the oats might be interesting. Never tried oats in pancakes.

Very cool. Egg is always in for me too. And vanilla, yes. Sometimes/often chia. Sometimes 5 ml of rum. Plant milk, yes.

But the oats might be interesting. Never tried oats in pancakes.
I love the idea of rum in there! I have before used a brand of spiced rum called Malibu in pancakes. Delicious. Also pineapple puree is nice at times. The oats are a wonderful way to add more fibre to your diet. I did find I had to add just a touch more baking powder to compensate and make the pancakes lighter.

I have a question for those of you who use buckwheat flour: did you find it to make the pancakes dense and heavy? My brother's wife in Houston, TX made my DH and I buckwheat pancakes once for breakfast and they were a bit dense. Didn't really enjoy them much.

W
pineapple puree is nice at times.
Oh wonderful idea, hadn't thought of pineapple!
Buckwheat pancakes, let my try to remember, I think you can make the batter more liquidy, an additional tablespoon of plant milk, at times I put a teaspoon of oil in the batter too.
If your pan is good, it should be possible to spread them out nice and thin. That is my goal, anways.

I do see what you mean.

Am using corn flour these days, but a buckwheat flour package is to be opened soon, one of these days, so I'll make pancakes and pay more attention.

Curious to hear other members' tips.

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3802.jpeg

IMG_3804.jpeg

Tried out the well reviewed cafe 10 mins from where I live. Had mightily low expectations as the place is generally down at heel and at this time of year full of grockles but it was good!

I had poached egg on toast, very nice that they keep gluten free bread and a surprise that poached egg on toast was actually a generous 3 poached eggs!

The others had full English. It was standard fare but done well and plentiful, the pic doesn’t do it justice because it was an enormous plate! It takes a lot for my sons to leave food but it was voluminous and they couldn’t finish it, that to me is a win 😆

I was also happy with the price. £39 for four people including two double espresso’s, an americano and a decaf tea. I don’t know what it’s like in America but here it’s often the drinks that bump the price up to something silly so I was pleased.

They came out from the kitchen to double check my sons allergies too, most reassuring.

Back
Top Bottom