Show me your breakfast (2024)

Mushrooms with garam masala and chilli flakes on toast:

20241007_104943.jpg

Saw this idea on All Recipes

IMG_4589.JPG

I put my own spin on it.
Hawaiian Sweet Rolls with deli Ham & an Egg - baked to the diners preferred doneness.
There's suppose to be Hollandaise Sauce on top, but I nixed that.

We had a late breakfast yesterday. the wife said she had a yearning for empanadas, since she hadn't eaten one in over 6 months.
There's a quaint little village called El Hatillo, about 6 miles away from our house, and that's where we went,. to a place called Carupanada's
"Carupanada's" is a play on words. Carupano is a town on the far east coast of Venezuela, and empanadas are typical fried turnovers from Venezuela. It''s typical street food/beach food. The dough is made from corn meal (pre-cooked, white cornmeal) mixed with a bit of wheat flour and a touch of sugar. Carupanada's also offers a dough with pork crackling in it.
We had our empanadas filled with a) minced meat b) spiced dogfish/baby shark c) white cheese and black beans; known as Dominó and d) black beans and fried plantain, all washed down with freshly pressed orange juice. I counted over 40 different fillings on the menu, which is amazing. If I were at the beach, for example, I'd typically get the choice between baby shark, cheese, minced meat and chicken.
Here are the empanadas and the menu. Below the menu, I've quickly translated the first column (on the left hand side) , under "tradicionales" (classics) and "especiales"(special ones)

Carupanadas 1.jpg
Carupanadas menu.jpg

Classics: cheese, cheese & plantain, black beans & plantain, vegetarian mixed veg, black beans & white cheese, ham & cheese, minced beef, chicken.
Specials : baby shark, pulled beef, baby shark & plantain, baby shark & white cheese, chicken & plantain, goat cheese, Guayanese cheese (bit like mozzarella, but creamier), "national flag"(pulled beef, black beans, fried plantain) and the Eastern beach version (baby shark, black beans, fried plantain)

We had a late breakfast yesterday. the wife said she had a yearning for empanadas, since she hadn't eaten one in over 6 months.
There's a quaint little village called El Hatillo, about 6 miles away from our house, and that's where we went,. to a place called Carupanada's
"Carupanada's" is a play on words. Carupano is a town on the far east coast of Venezuela, and empanadas are typical fried turnovers from Venezuela. It''s typical street food/beach food. The dough is made from corn meal (pre-cooked, white cornmeal) mixed with a bit of wheat flour and a touch of sugar. Carupanada's also offers a dough with pork crackling in it.
We had our empanadas filled with a) minced meat b) spiced dogfish/baby shark c) white cheese and black beans; known as Dominó and d) black beans and fried plantain, all washed down with freshly pressed orange juice. I counted over 40 different fillings on the menu, which is amazing. If I were at the beach, for example, I'd typically get the choice between baby shark, cheese, minced meat and chicken.
Here are the empanadas and the menu. Below the menu, I've quickly translated the first column (on the left hand side) , under "tradicionales" (classics) and "especiales"(special ones)

View attachment 119564View attachment 119565
Classics: cheese, cheese & plantain, black beans & plantain, vegetarian mixed veg, black beans & white cheese, ham & cheese, minced beef, chicken.
Specials : baby shark, pulled beef, baby shark & plantain, baby shark & white cheese, chicken & plantain, goat cheese, Guayanese cheese (bit like mozzarella, but creamier), "national flag"(pulled beef, black beans, fried plantain) and the Eastern beach version (baby shark, black beans, fried plantain)

I am sure they were lovely but for some reason the photo reminded me of the bottom of two manky feet: toes to the right if you see what I mean!

the photo reminded me of the bottom of two manky feet:
I shall take that into consideration next time I order one... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
When they make empanadas at the beach, there's usually a huge queue. In order to distinguish between, say, cheese empanadas and chicken empanadas,(because they're all fried in the same vat of oil) they'll tweak the dough somehow, or poke a hole (or two) in it, so that when they're fried, they can distinguish between the two flavours.

I took the plunge and bought a bag of frozen diced Avocado for toast in the mornings.
IMG_4604.JPG

I poured out what I thought would be a serving into a small bowl, put it in the microwave oven on defrost for acoupla minutes, gave it a bit of a mash with some sea salt and a few drops of Lime Juice, spread it over my heavily buttered 21 grain toast and I've got brekkie.
DH was appalled! "EEEEWWWW! What the 🤬 is that 💩?"
MINE!

hmmm . . . my experience has been . . .

(for one/two) buy a rock hard Hass avocado
keep it on the counter/tray until it feel 'slightly' soft to the touch/squeeze.
breakfast plans must be adaptable to "softness"

past 'slightly soft' stage one get heaps/piles of brown spots / bits you probably don't want to eat . . .

DW requires a slice of tomato - come winter. . . only option is a Roma/plum tomato
,,, I'm happy with coarse salt + onion slice, or tomato slice . . .
I am easy . . . DW not so much, but I do cave to her preference . . .
makes "married" so much more enjoyable . . .

Back
Top Bottom