The CookingBites recipe challenge: couscous

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:32 AM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is couscous and medtran49 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* which uses couscous (any type), tag it cookingbites recipe challenge, and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: end of day Sunday 28th July, UK time BST (GMT +1). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a tough one for me - my husband is not a fan of couscous. The only time he eats it is when it comes as an ingredient in one of our HelloFresh boxes (although he doesn’t complain, and I think he’s starting to warm up to it a bit).

I’ll have to give it a think and get creative!

This will be a tough one for me - my husband is not a fan of couscous. The only time he eats it is when it comes as an ingredient in one of our HelloFresh boxes (although he doesn’t complain, and I think he’s starting to warm up to it a bit).

I’ll have to give it a think and get creative!
If it's the dry mouth feeling couscous has, especially with the really tiny kind, use it in a wet dish or something with a lot of dressing. Craig and 1 of our DGDs didn't like it because of that until I figured out to use it as above.

In the past, I adored couscous. Nowadays I don't tolerate it well enough for me to eat, because of the gluten. Will enjoy reading the recipes though!
Hmmm, reflecting...perhaps I could cook for someone else?
There might be a friend of mine, for whom I might cook a vegan dish...I am not sure yet!
Hm...transport of food...in the heat of summer...cooling pads I think I have, but not a cooling bag/handheld travel fridge of any sort...
Let me sleep over.
Looking forward to all the other members' creativity!😊
🍋🍐🫒🌽🌶🫑🥒🥬🥦🧄🧅

Never used it nor eaten it nor seen it in the market, but there's got to be somewhere I can find it.
Just looked through some recipes on Goggle and they mostly fall into a "pasta salad" category. Have to see what I can do about that...

I'll be a lurker on this thread...
If it is available at all, it will only be in the capital and I'm not planning on going there till the end of the month.

In the past, I adored couscous. Nowadays I don't tolerate it well enough for me to eat, because of the gluten. Will enjoy reading the recipes though!
Hmmm, reflecting...perhaps I could cook for someone else?
There might be a friend of mine, for whom I might cook a vegan dish...I am not sure yet!
Hm...transport of food...in the heat of summer...cooling pads I think I have, but not a cooling bag/handheld travel fridge of any sort...
Let me sleep over.
Looking forward to all the other members' creativity!😊
🍋🍐🫒🌽🌶🫑🥒🥬🥦🧄🧅
Is Couscous Gluten-Free?

Thank you, yes, I read some similar articles...quinoa, we did have recently...as a challenge ingredient...I might investigate homemade cornmeal couscous, and will ask the judge permission, if I decide to go with the corn one...
And Happy 4th July!😄

There is also the popular substitute 'cauliflower couscous' which is easy to make (just whizz up cauliflower heads until they form 'granules'). In fact this is now available ready prepared in supermarkets here. Its also fairly easy to get maize couscous here.

Mod.comment: For information, the rules state:
'To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution must be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.'

Never used it nor eaten it nor seen it in the market, but there's got to be somewhere I can find it.
You can get it at Kroger:

1720097064640.png

Thank you, yes, I read some similar articles...quinoa, we did have recently...as a challenge ingredient...I might investigate homemade cornmeal couscous, and will ask the judge permission, if I decide to go with the corn one...
And Happy 4th July!😄
I think I was the challenge judge that chose quinoa.

Back
Top Bottom