The CookingBites recipe challenge: couscous

Not being the judge for this challenge, I couldn't say for sure. I am sure medtran49 will offer gluten-free alternatives but I don't know what.
Exactly,as I wrote earlier, will ask her, if I decide to compete😊. I am also not sure how much my Dad and Daughter will demand of me...we shall see, a step at a time...thank you.

Exactly,as I wrote earlier, will ask her, if I decide to compete😊. I am also not sure how much my Dad and Daughter will demand of me...we shall see, a step at a time...thank you.
I would guess she will voluntarily offer options soon.
There is also the popular substitute 'cauliflower couscous' which is easy to make (just whizz up cauliflower heads until they form 'granules'). In fact this is now available ready prepared in supermarkets here. Its also fairly easy to get maize couscous here.

Mod.comment: For information, the rules state:
'To include everyone in any challenge, a suitable vegetarian/vegan/allergy free/intolerance free substitution must be permitted if the challenge ingredient is something a participant can not or does not eat, for whatever reason. What is permitted is up to the current challenge judge to decide on.'

There is gluten free couscous. Not sure how available it is though.

Quinoa is fine for those that need gluten free, as is the cauliflower rice.

Fregola/fregula is okay, although, as mentioned, it is bigger and is also much firmer than couscous to the bite, at least the fregola that I have used. Probably because of the toasting process?

There is gluten free couscous. Not sure how available it is though.

Quinoa is fine for those that need gluten free, as is the cauliflower rice.

Fregola/fregula is okay, although, as mentioned, it is bigger and is also much firmer than couscous to the bite, at least the fregola that I have used. Probably because of the toasting process?

Yep! Fregula has to be cooked properly as a risotto with hot stock or also hot water (depending on the recipe) otherwise you’ll bite little stones..it is considered as a Sardinian cous-cous

Here’s the interesting thing…like I said earlier, I’ve made couscous maybe twice, so I don’t know much about it, but we just ate some, and both of us said, “Hmmmm…the consistency is a lot like polenta.”
I don't really think so? Nor the flavor. I think it has more of the consistency of quinoa but a different flavor...I also tend to cook all of the prviously mentioned in chicken broth. But I actually don't love polenta. I really like the others, however.

My first one:

Recipe - Couscous with Shallots, Garlic, and Pine Nuts

This whole thing was a hoot to make, one stupid mistake after another, but it didn't bother me for once. I'll talk you through it.

First, the recipe I was following (from ATK) is one of those with a basic recipe, then a handful of variations. I generally don't like that, because I have keep bouncing back and forth, especially the way they write theirs.

In this case, all the variations listed when to add the couscous with respect to the additional ingredients - some at the start, some nearer the end...except for the variation I was following - it didn't mention when to add the couscous at all, which I didn't realize until I'd gotten started with it.

Next, I did all my choppity-chop for my fresh ingredients, then measured out my liquids, then finally went to open up my brand new box of couscous, and...oh, there's not the 2 cups called for in the recipe, but just 1 and 1/4 cups in the entire box! Big box...little packet inside. Wha...?

That meant I had to do a bunch of quickie amounts adjustment, then just settled on getting the liquid right and approximated everything else.

In with the butter...except the butter sort of stuck to the little prep bowl and landed on the stove top and immediately started to melt. Then I went to get the zest sorted, but my zester was dirty in the dishwasher, so I went for a vegetable peeler to cut a quick strip...both peelers dirty as well.

That left some delicate work with the chef's knife, and I'd just gotten the perfect strip off...and it floated to the floor. Onto the second strip...finally!

Squeezed the juice by hand and it shot out at a perfect right angle, nowhere near the prep bowl, then the nuts went all over the counter when I tried to get them off the baking sheet and into a prep bowl.

Eventually got everything worked out, and the rest of the dish came together easily enough. Onto the dish itself.

Overall taste is very good, the flavors blend wonderfully, and it's a good dish for summer, because the lemon really gives it a nice lift.

Texture...not terribly dry (though I'd make it a little soupier next time), but definitely sort of slightly grainy feel, not unlike polenta (which, as I stated in a previous post, both MrsT and I commented on).

That's what MrsT has identified in the past as not liking about couscous, but in defense of this dish, she ended up liking it quite a bit and had seconds (I served it with cooked cabbage and a thin pork cutlet).

Back
Top Bottom