The CookingBites recipe challenge: couscous

This isn’t an entry, because all I did was add some egg to yesterday’s couscous in order to make patties, then fried them up:

IMG_8706.jpeg
IMG_8707.jpeg
IMG_8708.jpeg

Served with some warm pizza sauce, since the flavors in my couscous (shallot, garlic, pine nuts) seemed like they’d work with it.

Pretty good, and it’s a quick and easy way to use up leftover couscous. MrsT said they tasted like cornbread!

This isn’t an entry, because all I did was add some egg to yesterday’s couscous in order to make patties, then fried them up:

View attachment 115801View attachment 115802View attachment 115803

Served with some warm pizza sauce, since the flavors in my couscous (shallot, garlic, pine nuts) seemed like they’d work with it.

Pretty good, and it’s a quick and easy way to use up leftover couscous. MrsT said they tasted like cornbread!
You could get creative and run with that one, I think.

View attachment 115801View attachment 115802View attachment 115803

Love that idea. Bet they would have been good with some fried eggs for breakfast.

I've always made just enough or thrown away leftover couscous because I didn't know what to do with it. Smart!

Love that idea. Bet they would have been good with some fried eggs for breakfast.

I've always made just enough or thrown away leftover couscous because I didn't know what to do with it. Smart!
Thanks! I was really happy with how well they held together once they hit the pan, because getting them to the pan was a pain - I pretty much had to slap a handful down, then quickly shape with a couple of spatulas.

Thanks! I was really happy with how well they held together once they hit the pan, because getting them to the pan was a pain - I pretty much had to slap a handful down, then quickly shape with a couple of spatulas.
Yeah that's how it is with me with mashed potatoes turning into potato pancakes. I usually just scrape them out of the bowl with a spatula and form them with the spatula...so now I know what to do with leftover couscous, because like medtran49 wrote, they would make a good vehicle for eggs! Heck, I have even done leftover macaroni and cheese like that before, but it does tend to hold together much better.

Sorry for diverting the couscous challenge thread even further, LOL.

My first challenge entry.

Recipe - Buckwheat couscous vanilla pudding

As I mentioned in the other thread, this earthy scent of the buckwheat couscous is gorgeous to me. Definitely a precious discovery. I had never tried it before this challenge.

It came in a 2x 125 g package, so another entry will follow shortly. However, am willing to repurchase. Should inspiration and time be plentiful.

20240712_194658.jpg
20240712_200045.jpg
20240712_201314.jpg
20240712_201514.jpg
20240712_201303.jpg

20240712_201324.jpg

We had this last night (and tonight, I assume):

Recipe - Raisin and Red Cabbage Couscous

MrsT is big on eating cabbage nearly every day if she can, so I quick googled “cabbage and couscous” and found I had the ingredients on hand for this one.

I chose it because I especially like raisins together with cabbage and carrots. There’s a whole family of summertime slaws around here that include that combination.

Couldn’t be simpler to make, really…just do the couscous first, set it aside, sauté the vegetables, in with the raisins, warm through, and mix it all up with the couscous. It’s that easy.

It didn’t disappoint, either, and that little bit of sweetness from the raisins worked perfectly with the other flavors, as I knew it would.

Give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom