The CookingBites recipe challenge: onions

A big thanks to all who all who entered this challenge. 7 members entered and 20 recipes were submitted. There's a really good range of recipes: soup, salad, stuffed onions, pies and tarts, side dishes, main dishes and appetisers. I also note the international flavours: German, French, Indian, American.

I tried to write comments in each recipe thread. Forgive me if you think I am being critical. I do it with my own cooking and I think we are grown up enough here not to always pat each other on the back for our recipes.

The long-list of my favourites in the order in which they were posted:

Recipe - Black bean and sausage stuffed onion. from blades
Recipe - Pissaladiere from karadekoolaid
Recipe - French onion chicken from Herbaceous
Recipe - Pissaladiere from badjak
Recipe - Caramelised Onion, Saffron and Potato Pie from SatNavSaysStraightOn
Recipe - Onion Pie (Zweibelkuchen) from TastyReuben

Shortlist to follow later.

Last edited:
Eventually decided:

The winner is badjak with Recipe - Pissaladiere

Congratulations! An excellent dish, badjak and one after my heart.

As you know, badjak, Its now over to you to choose the next ingredient and become judge for the next round. As usual, its best to choose an ingredient which is fairly accessible in all our various countries. It doesn't matter if you choose an ingredient which has gone before so long as it wasn't too recently. A list of all ingredients chosen is here in date order and here in alphabetical order.

If you want to you can 'float' an idea for the next ingredient in this thread or if in doubt PM me or another moderator for advice.

Right, couple of very different ideas
One is green beans (as I got a surplus in my garden).
Or coriander, the whole plant
Or Soy beans and produce (so including soy sauce, tempeh etc)

I'll make a final decission in the next couple of hours

Right, couple of very different ideas
One is green beans (as I got a surplus in my garden).
Or coriander, the whole plant
Or Soy beans and produce (so including soy sauce, tempeh etc)

I'll make a final decission in the next couple of hours
My thought is that possibly green beans are a bit limited in terms of what can be done with them. Maybe I'm not thinking out of the box but we once had mange - tout as an ingredient and it was very limited. In the US green bean casserole is a traditional 'favourite'. Not what we would know as a casserole - it's a baked dish, not a stew.

Back
Top Bottom