The CookingBites recipe challenge: onions

I’d like to know about drying onions if you don’t mind?
Probably not suitable on this thread but maybe it is on the onion challenge?
Very simple due to my climate.
I just slice onions thinly and spread them out.
Sometimes just on a wooden board or tea towel, this time on a rack covered with mosquito gauze (from a tent that perished)
It currently is very windy and dusty, so I've covered them with some gauze as well.
Early morning RH is 55%, going down to below 20%

Very simple due to my climate.
I just slice onions thinly and spread them out.
Sometimes just on a wooden board or tea towel, this time on a rack covered with mosquito gauze (from a tent that perished)
It currently is very windy and dusty, so I've covered them with some gauze as well.
Early morning RH is 55%, going down to below 20%
Below 20?! Blimey!
How do you store them, rehydrate them and what do you use them in?

I store them in old yoghurt tubs.
May not look nice but they close properly and I got them anyway.
And I'm not sure what I will use them for (yet). I just got so many onions....
I think I'll grind some into powder and I figure I should be able to fry them quickly into something resembling South East Asian fried onions but I haven't tried yet.
And as they are in stir fries, meatballs etc

One entry written up

20241006_170653.jpg

Recipe - Caramelised Onion, Saffron and Potato Pie

Last one from me:

Recipe - Onion Pie (Zweibelkuchen)

IMG_9556.jpeg

Just a quick write-up, owing to the deadline bearing down on me, but this one is really a treat. Very simple dough (tastes just like a neutral butter cookie), just a few ingredients for the filling, and Karl’s your Oncle, you’re done.

I dished up MrsT’s, went back to the kitchen and was plating up mine when I heard MrsT say, “Hey, this is really good!”

Before I could get mine completely together, I again heard, “I mean, this is really, really good!

I finally walked in with mine, and she was eating, and she fixed me with a stare…and there was a look of desire in her eyes that this old married-34-years man hasn’t seen in a long time…and in a low, throaty voice, she intoned…
”Is there more so I can have a second piece?”

I still got it…maybe? :laugh:

IMG_9557.jpeg

One hour and 15 mins to go. But if there are any last minute late entries it's fine. I won't be judging until tomorrow morning, my time. That is a good 10 hours away.

We’ve peeled back all the layers, and now the Onion Challenge is over. Dry any crying eyes while we await our esteemed judge in naming her favored choice among the scrumptious dishes submitted.

Thanks, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom