The CookingBites recipe challenge: onions

IMG_9500.jpeg

It’ll soon be soul-warming soup time here, so…

Recipe - Onion Rivel Soup

What’s are rivels, you say? Quick little dumplings, mixed up right while the soup is simmering away, from Pennsylvania Dutch/Mennonite cooking. They’re very similar to spätzle.

IMG_9501.jpeg

That’s how they look before cooking - they usually get portioned out right over the soup pot, but I wanted a pic of them first, so I pinched them right there.

IMG_9503.jpeg

IMG_9504.jpeg

Really, there isn’t much to this, just a quick onion soup, with the rivels added in near the end, and that’s it, but the taste and texture are excellent. Lovely little chewy flavor-infused bites go perfectly with the broth and onions.

Here's another entry, adapted from an Instagram post I saw the other day. It's a good way to spice up a cheese sandwich!
Onion Bhaji Bread Rolls
Bhaji Pakora 2.jpg

What would I change if I made this again? (and I am going to make it again).
Firstly, I'd use some decent sandwich bread. What I used was the cheap stuff and it was difficult to manipulate.
Secondly, butter the bread before adding the chutney (although it's in the recipe, I didn't do it) because the chutney will soak through the bread.
Thirdly, don't add tomatoes to the cheese - makes the texture too wet to batter.
They were delicious, all the same. I think next time, perhaps, I'll use mango or tamarind chutney instead of the green chutney; and add some more chile powder!

I just had to make a dish which has double onions. Do piaza - in hindi - 2 onions.
This dish is delicious with chicken or lamb, but I chose to make it with paneer (pressed fresh cheese) simply because I had a piece in my fridge.
I used red onions, which are far more common in Indian cuisine that white or yellow onions. Half the amount of onions are blitzed with the garlic, ginger and chile, and the rest are just cut into chunks and added to the sauce. The end result is a creamy, oniony curry complemented by the cheese.
Paneer Do Piaza ( Indian cheese with onions)
Paneer do piaza.jpg

Keep them coming please! 11 entries so far and 7 days to go. Slightly concerned that entries are only from 4 members so far. Anyone else want to join in?

Keep them coming please! 11 entries so far and 7 days to go. Slightly concerned that entries are only from 4 members so far. Anyone else want to join in?
I'm try, I've got 1 recipe we cooked last week, and there's 1 we're doing this week, but I'm desperately busy at the moment. Final week this coming week, with 2 major assignments due and exams the following week.

Here's my next entry: Onion Confiture
A strange name, eh?
Here's the story. First of all, a lot of people make onion jam, so I wanted a name with a little je ne sais quoi, which is why I gave it a French name for jam. Surprisingly, when I took the product to be registered at the Ministry, they said yes, it has to be called "confiture" because there's less than 80% sugar, so it can't be jam.:o_o:
It cooked for almost 2 hours,on low heat. The idea is to caramelise the onions (without burning them) so they exude all that delicious sweetness. The green peppercorn was just a wild idea, but it works. A couple of teaspoons of vinegar helps to cut through the sweetness a little. However, my sons used to love this with their BBQs - beef and sausage, mostly.
View attachment 119091

I’d be interested to know how they came to the conclusion it’s less than 80% sugar?
Do they test it?
If they don’t how do they take into account the water evaporation?
Onions contain a lot of water and tend to shrink by 2/3rds or more when they’ve been cooked for a long time.
That would make the sugar content in the final product way higher than the sum total of the ingredients you started out with.
Just curious.

And thanks for the recipe. I was hoping for an onion one like this!

Here’s my entry -
IMG_2544.jpeg

Recipe -
1. Open freezer looking for gravy.
2. Find silicone pouch containing onion sauce.
3. Spend time wondering exactly what it is.
4. Let it defrost, reheat and serve having no clue what it was for or if it goes with anything you’ve cooked.
5. Repeat the process with other random items you poorly label before freezing.

I think it’s a winning formulation. If it wasn’t why do I keep doing it?! 😂

Here’s my entry -
View attachment 119249
Recipe -
1. Open freezer looking for gravy.
2. Find silicone pouch containing onion sauce.
3. Spend time wondering exactly what it is.
4. Let it defrost, reheat and serve having no clue what it was for or if it goes with anything you’ve cooked.
5. Repeat the process with other random items you poorly label before freezing.

I think it’s a winning formulation. If it wasn’t why do I keep doing it?! 😂
You labeled it. I have frozen stuff before thinking, "Oh I will know what this is" and a year later...I don't have a clue. Well actually I quit doing that and now label everything. And you have nice handwriting too, BTW. Mine looks like an 8 year old wrote it.

Back
Top Bottom