The CookingBites recipe challenge: onions

Well, I’m disappointed, because the one pic I got off is unacceptable. It’s very overcast and the sun wasn’t making it through, so the photo was grainy and blurry.

I’ll just have to describe what it was, then do a proper write-up once I get the recipe(s) in.

Part 1 was a puréed onion-cream sauce, and Part 2 was a rice-lentil-onion dish, served alongside Part 3, a quick-fried pork chop. All very good.

Here's my first entry. Pissaladiere
A simple, pizza-like dish from Provence, in Southern France.
The origin of this dish apparently goes back as far as the 10th century. In the provençale language, pissalat is a paste made with salted fish , herbs and spices (peis : fish salat: salted). Those who dislike anchovies might think it's got a different meaning; this is just to clarify matters.:cool::cool:
It's the simplest dish - just 3 ingredients with the dough base - and pungently delicious.
I just made 1 portion , and used a mix of Kalamata olives (no black olives available) and cured, black Morroccan olives. the large amount of onion turns positively sweet and creamy, thus contrasting with the salty olives and the anchovies .
If you want to make different patterns with the anchovies (diamond shapes, for example) then feel free.
Pissaladiere 3.jpg

Well, I’m disappointed, because the one pic I got off is unacceptable. It’s very overcast and the sun wasn’t making it through, so the photo was grainy and blurry.

I’ll just have to describe what it was, then do a proper write-up once I get the recipe(s) in.

Part 1 was a puréed onion-cream sauce, and Part 2 was a rice-lentil-onion dish, served alongside Part 3, a quick-fried pork chop. All very good.
:bravo:

It was a long time ago I spoke German, but isn't Sauer added to Guerken to describe pickled cucumbers?
sauer = sour aka dill pickle
suesse / sweet also used
Essiggurke another variation; Essig=vinegar

Gurke (singular) in "daily/common" use is pickle-of-no-further-description, or cucumber
one of those little quirks.

one of my fav's:
1727359089477.jpeg

I haven’t forgotten about the rest of that dish yesterday, just very distracted. I’ll get to it.

Ok, finally, and this post will contain two recipes, though I’d originally intended to write it up as one larger recipe.

First, the pics, so we can see what I’m posting about:

IMG_9460.jpeg
IMG_9462.jpeg

The recipes that follow are for the puréed onion sauce on the very bottom, and then the lentils and rice side dish. For once, the pork is just along for the ride.

Recipe - Smothered Onion Sauce

Recipe - Lentils and Rice with Onions

On with the review: both recipes are excellent (as was the pork) - so much so that MrsT agreed to have the same exact meal two nights running. This was a very satisfying supper.

The puréed onion sauce…I have to admit, I wasn’t sure how that was going to go, I thought it may end up being too strong, but it was very mild and lovely all the way round, and the optional vinegar (please don’t skip it) lent a beautiful brightness that took a good sauce and made it great.

It does cook up quite thick, which is why I ended up using it as a base, and I think it worked out well.

The lentils…this one was one I thought I could pretty much imagine in my head without tasting - lentils and rice and onions, along with a little chicken stock, no surprises coming my way.

But I was wrong! The three main ingredients teamed up with the bubbling stock to make a delicious side dish that’s substantial enough to be a main. The lentils yield a real beans-and-rice characteristic to this fast and simple side.

Along with the thin cut of pork…what an easy weeknight meal that tastes like a lot more effort was involved.

My pissalidiere.
Gas oven with only bottom heat, so going towards foccacia.

Recipe has already been posted, so I think I will just put my take on it in karadekoolaid 's thread
But no, Morning Glory convinced me to give it its own thread Recipe - Pissalidiere
IMG_20240929_190118_310.jpg

(edited 9 October to add recipe link)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom