The CookingBites recipe challenge: onions

a German (an other) cold dish - "cucumber salad" aka Guerkel Salad.
keeping in mind Guerkel is the name for both cucumbers and pickles . . .

thin slices of cucumber - salt&drain if they'll be 'around' for more than immediate consumption

DSC_0044.JPG

thin slices of onion
DSC_0050.JPG

marinated in olive oil, vinegar - caraway/celery seed
CS_7s.JPG

I have no recipe - it's a photo recipe I suppose - it's just that simple.
here's my oil&vinegar recipe:
CS_6s.JPG

I have no recipe - it's a photo recipe I suppose - it's just that simple.
here's my oil&vinegar recipe:
View attachment 118778
I completely understand, as I have a lot of things I make that I don't follow a recipe for. But if you are entering the challenge you have to write up a recipe and post it, then post a link in this recipe challenge thread or it won't count as an entry. See below:
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is onions (any type)** and Morning Glory is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* which uses onions, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge, and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight, end of day Friday, 11th October UK time (GMT+1). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.
** includes spring onions (scallions), shallots, dried onion, onion powder and onion seeds. Nigella aka as kalonji are not actually onion seeds but are included here.

OK
Onions
IMG_20240922_124449_464.jpg

Sliced and in a jar with 2% salt (based on onion weight)
IMG_20240922_125407_168.jpg

recipe: pickled onions (lacto fermented)

Now we wait for about a week and then I should have lacto fermented onions :)

(I'm just waiting to see if enough liquid gets out of the onions to submerge them.
If not, I'll add some water & salt. They will still get a weight on top)

(edited to add recipe link)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom