The CookingBites recipe challenge: onions

Here's my next entry: Onion Confiture
A strange name, eh?
Here's the story. First of all, a lot of people make onion jam, so I wanted a name with a little je ne sais quoi, which is why I gave it a French name for jam. Surprisingly, when I took the product to be registered at the Ministry, they said yes, it has to be called "confiture" because there's less than 80% sugar, so it can't be jam.:o_o:
It cooked for almost 2 hours,on low heat. The idea is to caramelise the onions (without burning them) so they exude all that delicious sweetness. The green peppercorn was just a wild idea, but it works. A couple of teaspoons of vinegar helps to cut through the sweetness a little. However, my sons used to love this with their BBQs - beef and sausage, mostly.
Onion Confiture 2.jpg

It's very similar to karadekoolaid recipe...
So I thought maybe point out differences between his and mine in his recipe thread..
But I could post seprate
Please post as a recipe otherwise I can't include it in judging. And I would like to include. It please. Pissaladiere is a favourite of mine.

We are halfway through the challenge - currently there are eight very good looking entries. I'm sure there must be more coming because I know that you lovely folk 'know your onions'!
I am leaving in 11 days for vacation and will be gone a month, so maybe next time. Plus DH doesn't love onions the way that I do and I don't feel like cooking something separately for him if I make a dish for myself!

Back
Top Bottom