The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
try telling that to them. they seem to think that the water tank is a really good place to decompose and then come through the water in dissolved form. I think you drink them rather than eat them tbh... which reminds me, I need to check the tank again after the treatment.

On a totally different note, I'm at a fancy dress 80s themed 50th birthday party at the weekend. It has been decided that I, in my wheelchair, am going as a dalek. Now Davros is the most obvious choice and someone has come up with an example which we are trying to replicate (cheaply).... the problem I have is that I need to either come up with dozens and dozens of foil covered spheres to attach to some foamcard that is already in black, or work out how to stop some small foil pie containers from collapsing.

So I'm either on papermache? or possibly something inserted into the foil pie things or even baked in it to stop them collapsing when they touch something. Now I have 4 spheres that can be used as templates (they are white foam) and I have 64 pie thingies... Anyone any thoughts? I have to have it all assembled and ready by 7pm on Saturday night (my time). I intend to glue the result onto the black foamcard before anyone asks.

so these are available....

View attachment 5356

or this as a template.

View attachment 5357
At the moment, I am thinking papier mache would be your best bet. If you have access to a large quantity of pva glue, that works well watered down. If you are making a flour and water paste, use the cheepest flour you can get but wear gloves. I expect it wil dry quickly in your heat, but it's always a good idea to make a few layers, let it dry, then make a few more etc.

We will need pictures of the finished result....
What is your oh going to be?
Have fun constructing your costume and have even more fun at the party!

Avoid the flour and water paste - it's messy - it goes nasty after a surprisingly short time and even when dry it sheds a white powder everywhere. Just use thick wallpaper paste - cheap enough clean and it won't go mouldy.

try telling that to them. they seem to think that the water tank is a really good place to decompose and then come through the water in dissolved form. I think you drink them rather than eat them tbh... which reminds me, I need to check the tank again after the treatment.

On a totally different note, I'm at a fancy dress 80s themed 50th birthday party at the weekend. It has been decided that I, in my wheelchair, am going as a dalek. Now Davros is the most obvious choice and someone has come up with an example which we are trying to replicate (cheaply).... the problem I have is that I need to either come up with dozens and dozens of foil covered spheres to attach to some foamcard that is already in black, or work out how to stop some small foil pie containers from collapsing.

So I'm either on papermache? or possibly something inserted into the foil pie things or even baked in it to stop them collapsing when they touch something. Now I have 4 spheres that can be used as templates (they are white foam) and I have 64 pie thingies... Anyone any thoughts? I have to have it all assembled and ready by 7pm on Saturday night (my time). I intend to glue the result onto the black foamcard before anyone asks.

so these are available....

View attachment 5356

or this as a template.

View attachment 5357
Paper behind them, as though you were packing something?

ping pong balls ?
don't have any and finance is an issue sadly.

At the moment, I am thinking papier mache would be your best bet. If you have access to a large quantity of pva glue, that works well watered down. If you are making a flour and water paste, use the cheepest flour you can get but wear gloves. I expect it wil dry quickly in your heat, but it's always a good idea to make a few layers, let it dry, then make a few more etc.

We will need pictures of the finished result....
What is your oh going to be?
Have fun constructing your costume and have even more fun at the party!

that's an inter4esting idea and I had been thinking of paper mache and whilst I have a quantity of paper, I don't have any glue or easy access to glue. I had thought about the flour and water option but... today is 35C (already 24C outside!) and tomorrow is forecast to be the same sadly.

Avoid the flour and water paste - it's messy - it goes nasty after a surprisingly short time and even when dry it sheds a white powder everywhere. Just use thick wallpaper paste - cheap enough clean and it won't go mouldy.
sadly I don't have easy access to wallpaper paste either - its not something we have at home and I doubt much is available locally but I could go out later and have a peep. it might be something to do this afternoon when it gets rather hot again!

Paper behind them, as though you were packing something?
I think this is probably going to be the best option. scrunched up paper from the papcking containers. We kept all of it for fire lighting. I could then reuse it later for lighting fires so it would not be lost to me.

this is the concept. how I will do it remains to be seen. but I have 3 sheets of A1 black foamcard and 1 sheet of A3 of the same thing also black. plus there are 64 or so tin foil pie dishes... I have some rectangular solid foam to cut the angles with to clue to foamcard into position. I have yet to work out how to attach it to the wheelchair but I am thinking along the lines of elastic straps (of the sewing type elastic about 1.5cm wide of which I have).

I'll probably use my petzel for the stalk though I may work on that a touch...

dalek.jpg

don't have any and finance is an issue sadly.

that's an inter4esting idea and I had been thinking of paper mache and whilst I have a quantity of paper, I don't have any glue or easy access to glue. I had thought about the flour and water option but... today is 35C (already 24C outside!) and tomorrow is forecast to be the same sadly.

sadly I don't have easy access to wallpaper paste either - its not something we have at home and I doubt much is available locally but I could go out later and have a peep. it might be something to do this afternoon when it gets rather hot again!

I think this is probably going to be the best option. scrunched up paper from the papcking containers. We kept all of it for fire lighting. I could then reuse it later for lighting fires so it would not be lost to me.
Staple gun and staple them in place! Three on each.

No stalk, but he did have a third eye
Davros-Doctor-Who-Dalek-Emperor-a.jpg figures-davros12inch1.jpg

I have just now made some flour and water paste.

pancake mix s.jpg

After missing Shrove Tuesday last year, I decided to get in early this year to avoid a similar oversight. It's currently cooling off in the fridge.

Had to drive to the airport tonight just after sunset.

3 emergency stops before I even reached tarmac!

The last one I was only doing 50kph because of the previous 2. Normally I would have been doing 90kph along that section... The SUV's ability to stop on dirt roads and not skid continues to amaze me. Not even a slight wheel lock up! That final emergency stop was a 'lost it under the (view of) the bonnet, waiting for the impact' type emergency stop... The impact amazingly never came and when I put the vehicle into reverse (rear view lights and camera) there was no kangaroo there, so I think whilst it was very close, I did actually miss it. No obvious damage to vehicle. I'll check better in the morning!

Time for roo bars to be fitted, no matter the expense now. OH driving to work just after dawn at the moment as it is, soon he'll be driving home at dusk as well... Extra lights need fitting too. We've both hit roos last winter. They do massive damage to vehicles and there are fresh kills all the time along all roads we have driven in Australia... Rather like oversized rabbits but much more dangerous!

Not fun.

Needless to say, I drove the rest of the way to the airport much more slowly than normal. 50km took much longer... And he was still late!

Had to drive to the airport tonight just after sunset.

3 emergency stops before I even reached tarmac!

The last one I was only doing 50kph because of the previous 2. Normally I would have been doing 90kph along that section... The SUV's ability to stop on dirt roads and not skid continues to amaze me. Not even a slight wheel lock up! That final emergency stop was a 'lost it under the (view of) the bonnet, waiting for the impact' type emergency stop... The impact amazingly never came and when I put the vehicle into reverse (rear view lights and camera) there was no kangaroo there, so I think whilst it was very close, I did actually miss it. No obvious damage to vehicle. I'll check better in the morning!

Time for roo bars to be fitted, no matter the expense now. OH driving to work just after dawn at the moment as it is, soon he'll be driving home at dusk as well... Extra lights need fitting too. We've both hit roos last winter. They do massive damage to vehicles and there are fresh kills all the time along all roads we have driven in Australia... Rather like oversized rabbits but much more dangerous!

Not fun.

Needless to say, I drove the rest of the way to the airport much more slowly than normal. 50km took much longer... And he was still late!
Something like this?
largest rabbit.jpg

You got there in one piece, that's the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom