The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent today with the long, laborious task of washing my net curtains! It takes so long partly because they are past their best and I am reluctant to replace them so spend a lot of time repairing them (sewing). The reason being that new net curtains are fine mesh and so are not suited to how I use the curtains. With these ones I can hang my crystals from them (different heights) - to catch the sunlight and throw rainbows across the room!

Spent today with the long, laborious task of washing my net curtains! It takes so long partly because they are past their best and I am reluctant to replace them so spend a lot of time repairing them (sewing). The reason being that new net curtains are fine mesh and so are not suited to how I use the curtains. With these ones I can hang my crystals from them (different heights) - to catch the sunlight and throw rainbows across the room!

I have never had net curtains as I can't bear to cut out the light and the view - I don't care who sees me! I am on a busy main road here and I suppose if people wanted to they could peer in as they walk by. Plus - I need the light for taking food photos.

I have never had net curtains as I can't bear to cut out the light and the view - I don't care who sees me! I am on a busy main road here and I suppose if people wanted to they could peer in as they walk by. Plus - I need the light for taking food photos.
The light is good with the net curtains i.e. not dimmed really and I can see through them easily to the view outside. I am a very private person so I value the screening. Also I use photobucket to edit photos should I need more light (usually I need a sharper image and more colour).

The light is good with the net curtains i.e. not dimmed really and I can see through them easily to the view outside. I am a very private person so I value the screening. Also I use photobucket to edit photos should I need more light (usually I need a sharper image and more colour).

We have nets for privacy, not on a main road but still like to be screened.

We have nets for privacy, not on a main road but still like to be screened.
I just hate net curtains. Its just the way I am. The first thing I do if I'm in a hotel room with 'nets' is pull them back. Its surprising how much more light comes in. I think I also associate nets with old fashioned decor from my childhood. I'm sure they can be chic but I remain unconvinced.

I just hate net curtains. Its just the way I am. The first thing I do if I'm in a hotel room with 'nets' is pull them back. Its surprising how much more light comes in. I think I also associate nets with old fashioned decor from my childhood. I'm sure they can be chic but I remain unconvinced.
I am sure most people think as you do, i.e. net curtains are indeed passe and have made way for blinds (which strike me as cutting out more light!)

I don't understand you saying net curtains noticeably block out the light...not my experience! Maybe how much light is prevented depends on the type of net curtains. I have had my net curtains off the windows today (when washing them) and cannot say I noticed any difference! They are very see-through and I can see passers by easily but they are sufficient to block their vision of me. I doubt very much that net curtains will be considered chic but I have never been one to follow fashion anyway so that is not a concern at all. I go with what pleases me.

If you get that many beware seven of nine [you have to be a star trek fan]

Eight have now hatched. 2 more have pipped, so with luck we may have 10 by the end of the day...

Same here. I hate them as well. Luckily here I don't have any, but my last place in the UK had them as part of the decor from the landlady... They were discretely held back as far as possible after I washed them with bleach to make the faded dust laden cream colour turn white again! Even just pulling them back let so much more light in.

They are very see-through and I can see passers by easily but they are sufficient to block their vision of me. I doubt very much that net curtains will be c
I don't like the idea of being 'veiled' in any sense, that's all. I like a clear view out and I don't give a damn who sees me! TBH I don't think that many people are interested in 'looking in' round here. They are too busy marching back and forth to work or to collect kids from school. Its me who is watching them...

We have net curtains because I don't like mosquito screens. They are not as effective but they help.

And yes, the cats did destroy a couple of them trying to get to the birds which were sat on the steel window protectors outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom