The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All blinds then? They are the modern choice.

I think blinds have been around for a long time. They certainly aren't modern.

In 1769, an Englishman named Edward Bevan was awarded the first patent for Venetian blinds. He discovered you could place wooden slats in a frame and manipulate the slats to let light into a room. John Hampson of New Orleans made adjustments to the invention in 1841.
http://www.signatureshuttersofhouston.com/history-of-window-blinds-houston/

Here is an advertising image from the 1930's - with curtains as well!

coster_gordon_2010_119_17.jpg

Last edited:
I think blinds have been around for a long time. They certainly aren't modern.

http://www.signatureshuttersofhouston.com/history-of-window-blinds-houston/

Here is an advertising image from the 1930's - with curtains as well!

View attachment 6922
Only a century or two too late, and the wrong continent as well.

"The term “Venetian Blinds” is actually a little misleading. Horizontally slatted blinds did not originate in Venice. Ever since the ancient Egyptians wove reeds into slats to provide shade from the sun, while also lighting their homes, this type of blind has been growing in popularity.

The first records of Venetian blinds actually reaching Venice, show that it was returning trade missions from Asia & the Middle East which first delivered slatted blinds to Italy, where they slowly grew in popularity.

It wasn’t until the 18th century when migrants from Italy started to spread Venetian blinds, first to France, then England and the Americas."

https://www.wooden-blinds-direct.co.uk/blog/the-history-of-venetian-blinds/

On the subject of curtains, this house is a curtain-free zone. That's all curtains, not just the net variety.
We have UV sun blinds in the sun room and the laundry room for obvious reasons in Australia... But they are only down when needed, right now, they are rolled up and out of the way. I want those rooms as warm as possible. The curtains in the sitting room are drawn at night (in winter only) for one reason and one reason only - warmth. the house I'm in has no insulation and in certain areas you can see daylight through the joins (this and the no insulation is very common in Australia). It is not warm and hence the curtains are used for one reason only - single glazing and holes at the edges makes for a cold house and whilst I don't mind cold in the bedroom (cold nose, warm toes policy), I do occasionally like to be somewhere above freezing not below it during the day! Curtians only happen in the sitting room and only in winter (though they can be useful in summer when it is 30-40C and you don't want the house as warm!

My azalea is stunning again this year, a mass of amazing flowers so I have taken a few pictures because once the weather sets in on Friday it will be ruined :(

I had closure today of the possibility of travelling. To explain, I am a contented semi-recluse (i.e. by choice) so travelling is out of character.

In a documentary, I was SO inspired seeing the orgasmic impact of eating stone crabs was that, today, I found myself checking out the feasibility of going there..... 9 hours away and over £500....that was offputting. I have never flown for over 2 hours. However, the clinching factor was that I subsequently learnt that the crabmeat was 'very sweet'....that is not the flavour of it that I particularly like - but the less dominant, fishy taste. So that's that then!
default_wacko.png

Last edited:
When someone says the meat is sweet, it's not sugary sweet in any way.

It's a very difficult thing to describe, so I think that sweet is the best that can be said. Fresh or light, or subtle would be other adjectives to use, but thwy also cannot describe it well.

For instance, try to describe a piece of high quality tuna sashimi.

Also, just an FYI, stone crab season just ended in Florida. It goes from mid October to mid May.

If you are going to make the pilgrimage, try to go in January or February. That way you can try the other of Florida's specialty seafood: spiny lobsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom