The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had closure today of the possibility of travelling. To explain, I am a contented semi-recluse (i.e. by choice) so travelling is out of character.

In a documentary, I was SO inspired seeing the orgasmic impact of eating stone crabs was that, today, I found myself checking out the feasibility of going there..... 9 hours away and over £500....that was offputting. I have never flown for over 2 hours. However, the clinching factor was that I subsequently learnt that the crabmeat was 'very sweet'....that is not the flavour of it that I particularly like - but the less dominant, fishy taste. So that's that then!
default_wacko.png
Don't give up on that notion. There are always fantastic foods in season somewhere in the world. Maybe start somewhere closer to home, mainland Europe? I will google some ideas!

When someone says the meat is sweet, it's not sugary sweet in any way.

It's a very difficult thing to describe, so I think that sweet is the best that can be said. Fresh or light, or subtle would be other adjectives to use, but thwy also cannot describe it well.

For instance, try to describe a piece of high quality tuna sashimi.

Also, just an FYI, stone crab season just ended in Florida. It goes from mid October to mid May.

If you are going to make the pilgrimage, try to go in January or February. That way you can try the other of Florida's specialty seafood: spiny lobsters.
Yes I know about the season....I do my best to prevent being disappointed! You may be right regarding the sweetness....but it's a heck of a way to go to find out for sure! I am not sufficiently motivated now but was easily put off going anyway. Oh well...shame we don't get the stone crabs imported here.

Don't give up on that notion. There are always fantastic foods in season somewhere in the world. Maybe start somewhere closer to home, mainland Europe? I will google some ideas!
It was specifically about the stone crabs that got me inspired and galvanised, so thanks but let me save you some wasted time!

I know fresh produce is always good. We have farmers markets here in London.

Last edited:
Geoffrey Bayldon died yesterday aged 93.

The man who brought us the "telling bone" and "electrickery".
Ah yes - Catweazle! What a delightfully unusual and intriguing programme that was! He played that character so well.

This afternoon we will be taking out cat to the vet fir her annual check up and boosters, should be fun.

She is back and with a clean bill of health :thumbsup:
Not 100% sure about the 'boosters' being useful [other than to the pocket of the vet of course] There is a growing school of thought [which includes a surprising number of vets] that says they are of very little use. After all you don't get annual boosters for most of your shots you get as a child

Not 100% sure about the 'boosters' being useful [other than to the pocket of the vet of course] There is a growing school of thought [which includes a surprising number of vets] that says they are of very little use. After all you don't get annual boosters for most of your shots you get as a child

The cattery will not take her if she doesn't have her shots, fair enough because I assume there are rules and regulations to protect other cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom