The General Chat Thread (2016-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mormon on a bike!
Mormons ride bikes here too. Oh little hint, both the Mormons and the JWs hate dictionaries. The English speaking JWs literally cross the street to avoid my house. The Spanish speaking ones do drop by once in a while with an English booklet.

Now, no matter how one believes, I am still trying to figure out why God chose to show me what a hypocrite our Baptist youth minister was. 6 days after I was baptized.

downloadfile-6.jpeg

Mormons ride bikes here too. Oh little hint, both the Mormons and the JWs hate dictionaries. The English speaking JWs literally cross the street to avoid my house. The Spanish speaking ones do drop by once in a while with an English booklet.

Now, no matter how one believes, I am still trying to figure out why God chose to show me what a hypocrite our Baptist youth minister was. 6 days after I was baptized.
So waving a dictionary at them is like waving a crucifix at the antichrist? Cool...

they're talking complete nonsense!
Can you prove that or do you just 'believe' it ? Do you get so upset when you get stopped walking through town and asked to complete a useless survey [ especially one where you just KNOW the details if you give any will be sold on to yet more cold phone callers ?] and there is a heck of a lot more of those. Walk away / close the door and say "not interested" - chill out
Their god, the Indians that saved them and the god's of the Indians that saved them from starvation.
Thank you for agreeing with my point - thanksgiving is a religious festival
Yes, nearly collided with 1 last year because he didn't have any lights on his bike,
Cyclist without lights - that doesn't seem to be a rarity of whatever faith they hold [or don't hold.

Thank you for agreeing with my point - thanksgiving is a religious festival
They took the Indians at face value, when they brought them food, so that they wouldn't starve during the winter ahead.

When adopted nationwide, it was non religous. Similar holiday over here, for the same reasons.

Can you prove that or do you just 'believe' it ? .
Personally I believe that anyone who seriously thinks that the entire Universe was created 4000 years ago by an Abrahamic God so that we could live in fear of him, and tell him how wonderful he is at every opportunity is just barking.

While I would accept that the date of Christmas was nothing to do with the Winter Solstice, it was, nevertheless, a clear appropriation of a pagan festival by the Western Church. This is set out by Sir James Frazer in his gargantuan work, The Golden Bough.

The Gospels say nothing as to the day of Christ's birth, and accordingly the early Church did not celebrate it. In time, however, the Christians of Egypt came to regard the sixth of January as the day of the Nativity, and the custom of celebrating the birth of the Saviour on that day gradually spread until by the fourth century it was universally established in the East. But at the end of the third or the beginning of the fourth century the Western Church, which had never recognised the sixth of January as the day of the Nativity, adopted the twenty-fifth of December as the true date.”

Frazer goes on to quote an early Syrian Christian writer, who states, “It was the custom of the heathen to celebrate on the twenty-fifth of December the birthday of the Sun, at which they kindled lights in token of festivity. In these solemnities and festivities the Christians also took part. Accordingly when the doctors of the Church perceived that the Christians had a leaning to this festival, they took counsel and resolved that the true Nativity should be solemnised on that day and the festival of the Epiphany on the sixth of January.

If this isn't the appropriation of a pagan festival, I'm not sure what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom