The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to remind everybody that EV's are by no means the solution. There're numerous studies how bad the batteries are and many "experts" already speak out warnings on how there is no ideal way to recycle them.

EVs are not the whole solution, but are part of it. If you live in a metropolitan area like Dallas, and commute 40 miles a day from the burbs to downtown, EVs make sense. The amount of energy they use is way less than internal combustion, which makes them better for CO2 emissions. But, what they do best is those short commutes. They are not currently a good alternative to a gas/petrol or hybrid vehicle for long distance driving.

Battery technology is improving constantly, and will continue to improve.

For the US, what we really need is more rail, including high-speed rail between cities. There is plenty of that in the Northeast, especially between NYC and Washington DC, but almost nothing in States like Texas. There has been talk of two high-speed rail lines, one from Houston to Dallas, and one from Houston to San Antonio, Austin and then to Dallas. That talk has been going on for at least thirty years. No progress.

The easy first step we can take right now is to just not drive as much. Make lists, and run four or five errands at one time, instead of five separate trips to those same places. Walk to the 7-Eleven a half mile away instead of driving. See if your employer will let you work from home at least a few days a week -- since Covid, we know that is feasible for many jobs.

And, there are a lot of fuel efficient cars available. Next time you buy a car, buy one of those.

CD

My city of Frisco made national news yesterday, but not for a good reason. A police officer did a license plate check on a car with Arkansas plates (AR), but entered "AZ" by mistake (Arizona). It came up as a possible stolen car.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/29/us/frisco-police-pull-over-family-gun/index.html

At least the Frisco police and the officer have admitted that he made a mistake. This will probably cost the city a lot of money, but I hope the city does the right thing, and just settles any lawsuit without dragging this out for the family.

EDIT: For background to our International members, The brand and model of car (Dodge Charger HEMI) the family was driving is one of the most stolen vehicles in the US -- and it had out of state plates. It is plausible that's why the officer ran the plates.

CD

At least the Frisco police and the officer have admitted that he made a mistake. This will probably cost the city a lot of money, but I hope the city does the right thing, and just settles any lawsuit without dragging this out for the family.

EDIT: For background to our International members, The brand and model of car (Dodge Charger HEMI) the family was driving is one of the most stolen vehicles in the US -- and it had out of state plates. It is plausible that's why the officer ran the plates.

CD

Actually, it was a she, and she also happened to be African American as were some of the other officers involved and the family. It's been on the local news here with video of the officer's apology at the scene, as well as other parts of the incident.

But it was absolutely outrageous. They need to double check results like that before acting.

Last edited:
Actually, it was a she, and she also happened to be African American as were some of the other officers involved and the family. It's been on the local news here with video of the officers apology at the scene, as well as other parts of the incident.

But it was absolutely outrageous. They need to double check results like that before acting.

Yes, the driver was a woman. Her husband and kids were in the car. The kids are going to have the most trouble dealing with this. They are pretty young.

CD

More good news here: my surgeon says the MRI shows my abcess has reduced so much in size that surgery likely isn't necessary.
If it's this good with another MRI next month we can expect that the Stelara will cure it and I will definitely not need surgery 🙏
I am so glad to read this!

Yes, the driver was a woman. Her husband and kids were in the car. The kids are going to have the most trouble dealing with this. They are pretty young.

CD
The officer that apologized at the scene was a woman. That is the  she I was referring to.

The boys are 12 and 13.

1690928598885.png

CD

Completion and apartment keys picked up, we had a nice G&T and a large slice of Victoria sponge to celebrate. Gave concierge a big box of choccy biscuits to say thank-you in advance of the first time the boys lock themselves out and I don’t have to drive to Bristol with back up keys 😆
Absolutely love the electric gates to the basement parking, usually the most neglected back end part of a building but instead it felt like driving into the Batcave 😁

Kitchen fitters confirmed they will replace the super shiny once sleek but now damaged foil doored kitchen with proper wood in December 👏

Now back home drinking scrumpy and chilling out before the serious business of redecorating starts tomorrow morning!

IMG_0783.jpeg

There were some nice vehicles down there, Ferrari, Lamborghini and this monstrosity which is like marmite! Posted so caseydog can tell me what the hell it is - other than a performance BMW that is!

IMG_0786.jpeg

Completion and apartment keys picked up, we had a nice G&T and a large slice of Victoria sponge to celebrate. Gave concierge a big box of choccy biscuits to say thank-you in advance of the first time the boys lock themselves out and I don’t have to drive to Bristol with back up keys 😆
Absolutely love the electric gates to the basement parking, usually the most neglected back end part of a building but instead it felt like driving into the Batcave 😁

Kitchen fitters confirmed they will replace the super shiny once sleek but now damaged foil doored kitchen with proper wood in December 👏

Now back home drinking scrumpy and chilling out before the serious business of redecorating starts tomorrow morning!

View attachment 103122

There were some nice vehicles down there, Ferrari, Lamborghini and this monstrosity which is like marmite! Posted so caseydog can tell me what the hell it is - other than a performance BMW that is!

View attachment 103121

BMW M4.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom