The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, why is he driving a tiny truck like a Tacoma? This is Merca!
Here's a photo of the monster truck.
Don't ask me the difference between one and another. I've got about as much interest in automobiles as you have in the music of Claudio Monteverde :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
For me, a car is something that gets me from a to b. That's it. If it doesn't work, I call a mechanic.
Monster truck.jpg

Here's a photo of the monster truck.
Don't ask me the difference between one and another. I've got about as much interest in automobiles as you have in the music of Claudio Monteverde :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
For me, a car is something that gets me from a to b. That's it. If it doesn't work, I call a mechanic.View attachment 102963

That's a few years old Tundra, a real Mercan gas guzzler. :okay::laugh:

CD

I've got about as much interest in automobiles as you have in the music of Claudio Monteverde :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kinda' like my interest in Indian cuisine, then. :D

I have a friend who is a fitness nut. To him, food is fuel. That's all. He eats powerbars and drinks protein shakes. That's his point A to point B.

CD

Last edited:
Trucks and 4x4s are still popular here as a status symbols but not so much as they were, they carry a bit shame with them now. It's mostly considered a vanity purchase and Brits do not like people who show off wealth.

In the UK if you have a thirsty vehicle it's considered you're demonstrating you don't care about the environment.
When the environmental activists let down the tyres on 4X4's in wealthy areas during COP26 and left flyers for the owners explaining about carbon emissions the general population didn't get angry about it or disagree, they were to an extent quietly sympathtic. I think that was a turning point in attitudes.

I have what is now considered a thirsty car. It was when I bought it the latest most environmentally friendly version of a 4x4 (we can't get out of the driveway when it's icy without it) but now 10 years later I'm embarrassed by it.

Trucks and 4x4s are still popular here as a status symbols but not so much as they were, they carry a bit shame with them now. It's mostly considered a vanity purchase and Brits do not like people who show off wealth.

In the UK if you have a thirsty vehicle it's considered you're demonstrating you don't care about the environment.
When the environmental activists let down the tyres on 4X4's in wealthy areas during COP26 and left flyers for the owners explaining about carbon emissions the general population didn't get angry about it or disagree, they were to an extent quietly sympathtic. I think that was a turning point in attitudes.

I have what is now considered a thirsty car. It was when I bought it the latest most environmentally friendly version of a 4x4 (we can't get out of the driveway when it's icy without it) but now 10 years later I'm embarrassed by it.

My Audi Q5 is AWD, so it can drive on snow and ice with ease, and gets 25MPG driving around Dallas. My MINI CooperS got 30MPG. But, since I work mostly from home now, I don't drive much. I only put 3,500 miles on my Audi over the last year. I plan my trips, and try to do multiple errands at one time.

The point is, you can still fight global warming with a reasonably sized, comfortable car with a gas/petrol engine, if you just change your driving habits.

Driving 15,000 miles a year (pretty common here in the Dallas area) in a truck that gets 14MPG is wasteful.

CD

My Audi Q5 is AWD, so it can drive on snow and ice with ease, and gets 25MPG driving around Dallas. My MINI CooperS got 30MPG. But, since I work mostly from home now, I don't drive much. I only put 3,500 miles on my Audi over the last year. I plan my trips, and try to do multiple errands at one time.

The point is, you can still fight global warming with a reasonably sized, comfortable car with a gas/petrol engine, if you just change your driving habits.

Driving 15,000 miles a year (pretty common here in the Dallas area) in a truck that gets 14MPG is wasteful.

CD

Doing something is better than nothing. I drive my car once in a blue moon now as most of the time I'm on a motorbike which is inherently better for the environment on fuel consumption and not idling in jams.

The less fuel you consume the better full stop, so the smaller and more efficient the vehicle the better it is environmentally.

I do consider briefly that getting rid of a vehicle for someone else to end up driving it (and probably doing a lot more miles than me) isn't improving the environment in the slightest, it's just shifting the vehicle and associated guilt away from me.
Scrapping it when it's so far away from end of life would also be environmentally unsound.

So I look at it, have feelings of warmth as it's the car my children grew up with and I have a lot of memories attached to it then stop smiling when I consider what it now represents, resolve to sell it and backtrack. I've been doing that for about 5 years now 🙄

Doing something is better than nothing. I drive my car once in a blue moon now as most of the time I'm on a motorbike which is inherently better for the environment on fuel consumption and not idling in jams.

The less fuel you consume the better full stop, so the smaller and more efficient the vehicle the better it is environmentally.

I do consider briefly that getting rid of a vehicle for someone else to end up driving it (and probably doing a lot more miles than me) isn't improving the environment in the slightest, it's just shifting the vehicle and associated guilt away from me.
Scrapping it when it's so far away from end of life would also be environmentally unsound.

So I look at it, have feelings of warmth as it's the car my children grew up with and I have a lot of memories attached to it then stop smiling when I consider what it now represents, resolve to sell it and backtrack. I've been doing that for about 5 years now 🙄

If you barely drive your car, then it's not a problem. When I see one person driving a huge PU Truck to their office job everyday, that is a problem.

CD

If you barely drive your car, then it's not a problem. When I see one person driving a huge PU Truck to their office job everyday, that is a problem.

CD
If you look logically at what would happen to the car if I sold then I don't think it's a problem for someone like me who hardly ever uses it to have it.
But moving away from logic to feelings (and lets be honest vehicles are at least in part an emotional interaction) I don't enjoy driving around in something that makes me look like one of those prats that has a 4x4 to go to the supermarket and back on smooth tarmac 😆

A family member asked if I'd like the Indiana Jones watch for my birthday even though it's over two months away! 😆
I had a look and decided as its a mid range gold plated job I'd rather not.
But I read the original Hamilton it's based on were 'gold filled' (a new concept to me) which is apparently superior and their mechanical watches have stood the test of time so I now have serviced 1948 Hamilton wrist watch with warrantee winging it's way to Blighty 👏👏 👏

I really should have asked this question BEFORE pulling the trigger (but it's a vintage watch that looks better reconditioned than most so I just went with it) my question is did I guess right that old Hamiltons are pleasant watched worth having or have I wasted cash?!!

1690649184814.png

1690649124652.png

A family member asked if I'd like the Indiana Jones watch for my birthday even though it's over two months away! 😆
I had a look and decided as its a mid range gold plated job I'd rather not.
But I read the original Hamilton it's based on were 'gold filled' (a new concept to me) which is apparently superior and their mechanical watches have stood the test of time so I now have serviced 1948 Hamilton wrist watch with warrantee winging it's way to Blighty 👏👏 👏

I really should have asked this question BEFORE pulling the trigger (but it's a vintage watch that looks better reconditioned than most so I just went with it) my question is did I guess right that old Hamiltons are pleasant watched worth having or have I wasted cash?!!

View attachment 102974
View attachment 102973
No idea but it's a nice-looking watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom