The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So let's see. Say even a 300 year period out of millions of years is exactly correct.

Noone has answered the fuel crisis scam in the 70s. Countrys changed manufacturing practices.

Look at the new ford f 150. Still a v8.

Russ

Okay, since my Dad ran an oil company, here is how it was explained to me. Back then, using the methods available to measure oil reserves, and the techniques to get oil from the ground, the world WAS starting to run out of oil reserves.

Remember, in the 1970, computers were giant room sized machines that had less computing power than an iPhone does today. There was no such thing as fracking.

As time went on, the technology to find reserves in rock/oil shale, and the means to get it out of the rock (fracking) changed things dramatically.

Now, global warming is a totally different thing. The greenhouse effect was discovered in the 1850s, and it is a VERY simple scientific concept to understand. The more CO2 you have in the atmosphere, the more the atmosphere holds heat from the sun -- the warmer the earth gets. If you have a greenhouse in your yard, go inside and notice how it is warm in there on a cold day. It's the same principle.

As for the F150 V8, most consumers aren't scientists. If people want them, Ford is going to sell them.

CD

If you want to see a superb drama watch the true story of Professor Jones and climategate.
BBC drama done well.

What they did to him is heartbreaking. They say it slowed down acceptance of climate change by 10 years and the repercussions are still raging on today.

I think it’s on Netflix now.

Yeah, if anything, that’s an indication of how we got where we are today.

Thing is, BIG pickup-trucks are very popular in Texas. People don't buy them to use as trucks. They drive them to work, to pick up the kids at school, and to go grocery shopping. And, if you don't have 20-inch wheels and 4-wheel-drive, you need to tint the windows so nobody can see you. :oops:

F150s are poor man's trucks, too. If you want to take the family to the movies in style, you have to get an F250 Super Duty 4X4 with a 6.7 liter V8 turbo diesel, or the 6.8 liter gasoline/petrol V10.

1690556536667.png

CD

I still get a chuckle out of the time, right after we moved here, that my neighbor got his Chevy Avalanche stuck in his own driveway and he had to suffer the humiliation of me pulling him out with my little Land Rover Freelander. :laugh:
That's pretty darned funny.

I still get a chuckle out of the time, right after we moved here, that my neighbor got his Chevy Avalanche stuck in his own driveway and he had to suffer the humiliation of me pulling him out with my little Land Rover Freelander. :laugh:

I pulled a friend's Jeep out of deep sand on Boliver peninsula with my Audi allroad Quattro. He was showing off, and got it stuck. He's a cool guy, so we had a good laugh over beers later.

The Freelander didn't have the air suspension of the bigger Land Rovers. My Audi did. Land Rover sent us a lot of vehicles at Texas Driver/American Driver magazines. The Freelander was replaced by the LR2. I took one of those to Port Arthur, and then up through the Texas Hill Country. Not bad, but I liked the LR3s a lot.

LR flew me and a bunch of other automotive journalists to North Carolina to attend the Land Rover off-road driving school. We had a lot of fun. :D This is one of the LR3s we used.

1690563973502.jpeg

CD

Trucks are the big thing here, too. I don’t get it. They are the new greaseball vehicle. Used to be muscle cars, now these yahoo’s rumble up the Boulevard by my place all hours of the day and night. We have a Dodge dealership at the end of my street and there are hardly any sedans or 4 cylinders on the lot. All trucks and Jeeps.

My wife got me a powerful sling shot for the garden ground hogs and I’ve been tempted to go on the roof and take out a few rear windshields when they race up past the house. Good thing my ladders don’t go up to the high roof ‘cus after a couple
Of beers it seems like a good idea.

I can Red Neck with the best of them.

Last edited:
Trucks are the big thing here, too. I don’t get it. They are the new greaseball vehicle. Used to be muscle cars, now these yahoo’s rumble up the Boulevard by my place all hours of the day and night. We have a Dodge dealership at the end of my street and there are hardly any sedans or 4 cylinders on the lot. All trucks and Jeeps.

My wife got me a powerful sling shot for the garden ground hogs and I’ve been tempted to go on the roof snd take out a few rear windshields when they race up past the house. Good thing my ladders don’t go up to the high roof ‘cus after a couple
Of beers it seems like a good idea.

I owned a couple of full sized pickups back in the 80s and 90s. But, I also owned boats at the time, and could't afford to pay $500 a month to keep them in a slip at the lake, so I had to tow them to the lake and back. I needed them.

What I see now is these huge super duty 4X4 trucks being used as one would use a mid-sized car. It is a status symbol, and I'm sure for some owners, a poke in the eye of "treehuggers." Or, as they like to say now, "Owning the libs."

I owned a muscle car back in the seventies. 400CI/6.6L V8. My MINI CooperS with its 1.8L four cylinder could run circles around it in a race. My four cylinder Audi has more horsepower than that old gas guzzler muscle car had. I get it. Too many people don't.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom