The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blast! That's a real nuisance! Never mind - it will heal fast.
My youngest son broke 2 bones in his hand on Tuesday, playing football (soccer). Don't know how he manages it. I played Rugby for over 10 years and never broke anything!

Madhur Jaffrey is 90 years old today.

1691889310511.png

Ok, positively grueling drive today, first day of vacation, with a 2+ hour delay thrown in for fun. This is our third time in a row of getting on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and having the entire thing shut down and rerouted around half of Maryland and nearly all of West Virginia to finally get where we’re going.

Anyway, first night is in Chambersburg, PA, a place we’ve stayed many times before. Usually, it’s the Hampton Inn, but this time, MrsT wanted to try a Tru (by Hilton), because she’s had some clients ask about the chain, and we’ve never stayed at one, so she couldn’t tell them much.

IMG_5334.jpeg
IMG_5335.jpeg

It’s hard to see the colors, but it’s a nice aqua scheme:
IMG_5336.jpeg

Breakfast area (of which we won’t be availing ourselves):
IMG_5337.jpeg

Tru’s meant to be sort of a hep urban design, made to appeal to Millennials on the go. I must admit, I like the lobby area, which I didn’t get a pic of, but the reception desk is just a big circular thing in the middle of the room, and all kinds of snack (including beer and wine) arranged around it for sale.

Ok, positively grueling drive today, first day of vacation, with a 2+ hour delay thrown in for fun. This is our third time in a row of getting on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and having the entire thing shut down and rerouted around half of Maryland and nearly all of West Virginia to finally get where we’re going.

Anyway, first night is in Chambersburg, PA, a place we’ve stayed many times before. Usually, it’s the Hampton Inn, but this time, MrsT wanted to try a Tru (by Hilton), because she’s had some clients ask about the chain, and we’ve never stayed at one, so she couldn’t tell them much.

View attachment 103466View attachment 103467

It’s hard to see the colors, but it’s a nice aqua scheme:
View attachment 103468

Breakfast area (of which we won’t be availing ourselves):
View attachment 103469

Tru’s meant to be sort of a hep urban design, made to appeal to Millennials on the go. I must admit, I like the lobby area, which I didn’t get a pic of, but the reception desk is just a big circular thing in the middle of the room, and all kinds of snack (including beer and wine) arranged around it for sale.

That's a migraine carpet in the corridor! Generally it looks OK though. What is the room like?

The rooms are very small, but advertised as “cleverly designed,” you can see for yourself:

IMG_6597.jpeg
IMG_6598.jpeg
IMG_6600.jpeg
IMG_5344.jpeg

No closets, just some posts to hang your stuff from, one chair, no credenza or whatever for the TV, just wall-mounted, very minimalist, but I do like the kitschy motif, like the window shade and the pattern on the wall of the bathroom.

no credenza or whatever for the TV, just wall-mounted, very minimalist,

That is normal in the UK. And its a nice big screen. What is a credenza? I never had one to my knowledge.

I think the room is OK, by which I mean I would stay there if the price was right. How much does this room cost per night?

I think the room is OK, by which I mean I would stay there if the price was right. How much does this room cost per night?
MrsT says $170US for a late-booked Saturday night, not using her travel agent’s discount. It includes some sort of breakfast, but I’m not having that, I’m having a Spanish omelette at the Trojan diner down the street.

This night is strictly work, the only reason she’s staying here is to assess it for her clients, so she’ll likely count this as a business expense come tax time.

MrsT says $170US for a late-booked Saturday night, not using her travel agent’s discount. It includes some sort of breakfast, but I’m not having that, I’m having a Spanish omelette at the Trojan diner down the street.

This night is strictly work, the only reason she’s staying here is to assess it for her clients, so she’ll likely count this as a business expense come tax time.

Seems a little steep to me. It depends on location here but for comparison, this sort of similar room is £89 per night ($112). There is a swimming pool on site for guests use. Your TV is bigger! Includes breakfast.

115823954-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom