The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aurora Borealis as seen from the deck of my cruise ship. This is why I visited Alaska this time of year.

There’s an app called Aurora that gives you the likelihood of seeing one in your area. It was at 48% just now. I’m curious to see what comes up when I get back to Michigan. I think I could be missing something, not it can’t be as stunning as this.

B3B5D4CC-B6DA-46A9-88F9-AF89083C7E82.jpeg 0C5D8741-2773-473B-982E-A41341347DF8.jpeg 39DE0525-3937-4478-93E4-758A317C043B.jpeg 13210944-E485-452D-B33B-E91AD4D31A22.jpeg 0FB46447-1875-4A66-A11F-2CC413487D53.jpeg 8B5F7DFF-DF21-42F1-98CE-D7C2929861A8.jpeg

It seems really weird to have kg be a quantity, if that's what SatNav meant -- one kg of eggplant = 1 eggplant? That would confuse me, too. :scratchhead:
It's been the only way of getting what I want.
So if I wanted 4 baking spuds, I've no idea what they weigh and the minimum I can choose is 1kg and only in whole numbers, so do you choose 1kg and hope or choose 2kg and end up with too many? Not a huge problem with potatoes, they last well. But not so with aubergines or courgettes, it say I want to stuff 4 red peppers. They are sold by weight here. 3 doesn't work for 2 people for 2 meals. So do I go with 1kg or 2kg or find another way of using the useless system?

So we have a standard rule. Ignore the kg and buy per unit. The only time that doesn't apply is with mushrooms and I'll write that in the notes at the top of the shopping list.

What I don't get is why when I said 1kg of aubergines, I got 4 aubergines. When I said 1kg of courgettes, I got a single small courgette. And why when leeks are sold by unit, not weight, and I said 1 leek, I ended up with 4? Oh and a typical leek weighs 500g in these parts, so 1 leek ended up as 2kg of leeks!

If he'd been consistent, I'd have understood but it was totally hit and miss.

It's been the only way of getting what I want.
So if I wanted 4 baking spuds, I've no idea what they weigh and the minimum I can choose is 1kg and only in whole numbers, so do you choose 1kg and hope or choose 2kg and end up with too many? Not a huge problem with potatoes, they last well. But not so with aubergines or courgettes, it say I want to stuff 4 red peppers. They are sold by weight here. 3 doesn't work for 2 people for 2 meals. So do I go with 1kg or 2kg or find another way of using the useless system?

Wow, that sounds messed up. :o_o:

CD

The Aurora Borealis as seen from the deck of my cruise ship. This is why I visited Alaska this time of year.

There’s an app called Aurora that gives you the likelihood of seeing one in your area. It was at 48% just now. I’m curious to see what comes up when I get back to Michigan. I think I could be missing something, not it can’t be as stunning as this.

View attachment 104431 View attachment 104432 View attachment 104433 View attachment 104434 View attachment 104435 View attachment 104436
Beautiful, MrsT will be jealous, as that’s on her bucket list.

When we went to Alaska in 2012, the hotel we stayed at had a feature where you could add your room phone to a list to be notified should the lights appear in the middle of the night.

We were added to that, but the way their notification software worked was to just grind through the list, room after room, so each night we got the call, by the time it got to us (near the bottom of the list), it had already passed.

What I don't get is why when I said 1kg of aubergines, I got 4 aubergines. When I said 1kg of courgettes, I got a single small courgette. And why when leeks are sold by unit, not weight, and I said 1 leek, I ended up with 4? Oh and a typical leek weighs 500g in these parts, so 1 leek ended up as 2kg of leeks!
..and that's why I'll never use an app to buy vegetables. First of all, they confuse you and secondly, you get what you're given, rather than what you want.

I’ve been watching videos on mortars and pestles on YT, and I noticed about half the time, people were pronouncing “pestle” with a hard “T,” sort of like “pistol.”

I was always taught that the “T” in that word was silent - “pessle,” like it is in “nestle” (not the brand name, the verb).

Wanting to feel superior, I of course turned to the internet, and to my shock and horror, found that the hard “T” version is an acceptable pronunciation (as is “pessle,” of course).

Hmmmmm…

View attachment 104431 View attachment 104432 View attachment 104433 View attachment 104434 View attachment 104435 View attachment 104436
Seeing this has been on my "Bucket list" for many years ... I'll get there!

I’ve not been to a lot of the western states, nor do I care to, really. I’m an east-of-the-Mississippi boy at heart.

Some states, like Utah and Colorado, I’ve only been to to fly through, so I don’t really count those.

ETA: I’ve not been to a whopping 16 states, but I’m not bothered by it. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom