The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d love to have a little snow threat going on!

It’s been hot (for here), in the 90s/30s, but we had a front come through yesterday afternoon that dumped a good amount of rain and cooled everything off. Today’s high is expected to be 78F/24C.

It is 106F/41C right now in Frisco. This kind of heat should be over by now.

CD

Last edited:
Its unbearably hot here. I suffer really badly when its hot and have to sit still, with fan directed at me and use a water spray in order to survive.
Strange how so many Brits just can't take the heat. My dad was like that. Brought him over to Venezuela once and he whinged, all the time, about the heat. My mum, on the other hand, loved it - and came back for a Caribbean beach holiday 4 years later!
My bro loved it too and last year, we sat outside in 37C, cracked a few beers and just enjoyed it.
Of course, when the temperature is that high, you do NOT want to be wandering about in long sleeved shirts/dresses, shoes and socks , jeans, etc. Minimum possible ( but PULEEZZ) not like Kanye West.

Strange how so many Brits just can't take the heat.
It’s interesting, that’s for sure, and I don’t mean Brits and heat, but just how much people vary in their tolerance of temps.

I’ve said many times that I have no tolerance for heat. I’m with Morning Glory on that one - 70F/20C is where the line is for me - 75F is uncomfortable, 80F more so, 90F/30C is unbearable and I’m not leaving the house if I don’t have to. Hell, I start running the A/C in my car in March, when it’s still in the 40’sF - I just turn the vents away so they don’t blow directly on me.

My cold weather tolerance - no problem. I can and do walk out in the snow barefoot and in my underpants to check my mail, put the trash out, I rarely wear a coat when we go out, though I’ll bring one in case the car breaks down. No hat, no gloves. Scarves are more about fashion than keeping warm for me.

MrsT is the exact opposite. 🤷‍♂️

It’s interesting, that’s for sure, and I don’t mean Brits and heat, but just how much people vary in their tolerance of temps.

I’ve said many times that I have no tolerance for heat. I’m with Morning Glory on that one - 70F/20C is where the line is for me - 75F is uncomfortable, 80F more so, 90F/30C is unbearable and I’m not leaving the house if I don’t have to. Hell, I start running the A/C in my car in March, when it’s still in the 40’sF - I just turn the vents away so they don’t blow directly on me.

My cold weather tolerance - no problem. I can and do walk out in the snow barefoot and in my underpants to check my mail, put the trash out, I rarely wear a coat when we go out, though I’ll bring one in case the car breaks down. No hat, no gloves. Scarves are more about fashion than keeping warm for me.

MrsT is the exact opposite. 🤷‍♂️

When I first moved to Texas (from Cincinnati, BTW), the heat was unbearable for me. But, after 40-something years, I can take it a lot better. 106F is still hard to deal with, but I can do it. On the other hand, my tolerance for cold has decreased considerably.

From the best information I could find online, MG is dealing with around 26C, with is just shy of 80F. That's a good day in Frisco. That's more than 25F lower than it was here today. But, every house/building here has air conditioning.

CD

From the best information I could find online, MG is dealing with around 26C, with is just shy of 80F. That's a good day in Frisco.
I think it was a little warmer for her - I read her post about 45 minutes after she posted it, and I checked the weather app on my phone, and it had her location at 86F, with a heat index of 88F.

Here’s what it says you have to look forward to, Morning Glory :

IMG_5684.jpeg

IMG_5685.jpeg

I’ll go ahead and designate Saturday as “clothing optional,” with cold-water-soaked washcloths/flannels strategically placed about one’s person… :whistling:

It is 9PM, and still 98F/37C outside. I don't know what's holding the heat in. It should be at or below 90F/32C by now.

CD

We're at about 30 - 32C during the day, which is 3 or 4C above what it should be here at this time of year. Right now (11.30pm) it's down to 23C, but as soon as the sun's up, the temperature rises. Pour a glass of water on the floor outside and it evaporates within 5 minutes.

It's 12 Midnight, and the temperature is finally down to 91F/33C. By this time of year, it should get down to about 75F/24C or less at night.

CD

Last edited:
I like thunderstorms, as long as they don't get too violent. Right now, I'd take any kind of rain.

CD
Get the local dirt/gravel road regraded. It works without fail every time for ours. They started regrading our road on Tuesday, completed yesterday and a storm came through overnight. We were meant to get 1-5mm of rain. We had over 21.0mm of rain, so almost an inch, and trees down because the re-grading changes the weight of soil & rocks on the roots of the trees growing in the verge.

Works without fail. 😆

Get the local dirt/gravel road regraded. It works without fail every time for ours. They started regrading our road on Tuesday, completed yesterday and a storm came through overnight. We were meant to get 1-5mm of rain. We had over 21.0mm of rain, so almost an inch, and trees down because the re-grading changes the weight of soil & rocks on the roots of the trees growing in the verge.

Works without fail. 😆

There are no gravel roads near me, so I have to resort to washing my car. For extra measure, I can wash it, clay bar it and wax it. The more work I put in, the higher the chance of rain. :okay:

CD

Strange how so many Brits just can't take the heat. My dad was like that. Brought him over to Venezuela once and he whinged, all the time, about the heat. My mum, on the other hand, loved it - and came back for a Caribbean beach holiday 4 years later!
My bro loved it too and last year, we sat outside in 37C, cracked a few beers and just enjoyed it.
Of course, when the temperature is that high, you do NOT want to be wandering about in long sleeved shirts/dresses, shoes and socks , jeans, etc. Minimum possible ( but PULEEZZ) not like Kanye West.
I'm Portuguese and I can't stand the heat. It's fine if I'm hanging out at the beach with nothing to do but it's unbearable when I have to work (and my work isn't even physically demanding). I get dizzy, and lightheaded, and have what looks like episodes of hypoglycemia where I suddenly feel very weak and shaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom