The General Chat Thread (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your country's history is amazing.

Yes, it is. It's a big mix of good, bad and ugly, yet somehow, we've made it 247 years... so far.

I know a little about Australian history, but nothing about NZ history. If you have any web links, share them. I'll check them out.

CD

Yes, it is. It's a big mix of good, bad and ugly, yet somehow, we've made it 247 years... so far.

I know a little about Australian history, but nothing about NZ history. If you have any web links, share them. I'll check them out.

CD

I've been all around nz. The west coast is amazing. The drive from Westport to greymouth I rate as the best. Have a look at this and then giggle akaroa.

West Coast, Scenic highlights in New Zealand | Things to see and do in New Zealand

Russ

Just looking out the back when I spotted movement in my garage. Walking on my workbench. We dont own a cat.
Must have slipped In Sunday when door was open. I opened the door with remote. After 2 days in there, cat bolted. Kinda funny lol.

Russ

That's right on the limit of what I find tolerable and not tolerable. If it is windy, that pushes me over the limit.

CD
Yeah, it's windy. That's why they built the wind farm here, because it's one of the windiest places in the whole of NSW. We're 1km from the closest turbine, higher than it and more exposed.

It's already much colder tonight than it was at the same point last night. Locally already -3°C. I think -6°C might be a bit optimistic! This is coming straight off Antarctica.

I had to explain to a very disappointed lady today that the ice she had so very bravely driven on wasn't black ice at all as she was proudly telling everyone... it was white frost and not actually slippy.

She actually asked me what colour black ice was! I nearly stated the blindingly obvious but then thought the better of it and told her it was black. She was ever so disappointed :headshake:for some weird reason she thought black ice was white! :facepalm:

PS, they don't grit roads around here, even the tarmac ones. You're just expected to slow down on the straight sections. It doesn't work well.

I had to explain to a very disappointed lady today that the ice she had so very bravely driven on wasn't black ice at all as she was proudly telling everyone... it was white frost and not actually slippy.

She actually asked me what colour black ice was! I nearly stated the blindingly obvious but then thought the better of it and told her it was black. She was ever so disappointed :headshake:for some weird reason she thought black ice was white! :facepalm:

PS, they don't grit roads around here, even the tarmac ones. You're just expected to slow down on the straight sections. It doesn't work well.

Back when we were diving every weekend and launching our boat from a state park boat ramp, we were friendly with a park ranger. One of his favorite sayings was "you can't fix stupid." This was in response to the people who would forget to put the drain plug in their boat and then launch them, only to watch them fill up with water and start to sink, would forget to tie up or untie their boat to the dock before walking away or motoring away from the dock respectively, or using too small a vehicle to launch or try to pull their boat out of the water, then watching said vehicle slide down the dock into the water, yes we saw this happen, or even better, back the boat trailer down the ramp, get out of the vehicle to complete the launching process, but forget to set the parking brake, and watch the vehicle slide down the ramp, saw this happen too.

Back when we were diving every weekend and launching our boat from a state park boat ramp, we were friendly with a park ranger. One of his favorite sayings was "you can't fix stupid." This was in response to the people who would forget to put the drain plug in their boat and then launch them, only to watch them fill up with water and start to sink, would forget to tie up or untie their boat to the dock before walking away or motoring away from the dock respectively, or using too small a vehicle to launch or try to pull their boat out of the water, then watching said vehicle slide down the dock into the water, yes we saw this happen, or even better, back the boat trailer down the ramp, get out of the vehicle to complete the launching process, but forget to set the parking brake, and watch the vehicle slide down the ramp, saw this happen too.
Yep, another one is that "common sense isn't common sense until it's been pointed out to someone".

And it dropped much lower last night. This is the coldest night we've had at this tenancy.

This is my area locally, closer to us that Canberra.

Screenshot_20230621_055911_Weatherzone+.jpg

-7.4°C is about 18F.

The cold snap is widespread though and colder in the Snowy's. There is a place called Perisher, that's a couple of hours drive south of Canberra. It dropped to -10°C (14F)

overnight.
Screenshot_20230621_064515_Weatherzone+.jpg

And those figures are not even close to the feels like figures which are about 5°C/10F lower.

And hubby has just rung. He's finally at work. It's taken 50% more time than usual (60mins instead of 40 mins) to get to work. 2 crashes either side of where we have to join the highway (just a dual carriageway) and 1 double articulated lorry facing totally the wrong way which will need the entire road closing to recover because they'll have to drive several km down the wrong side of the carriageway to get to a point where it can be returned to the other side.

He suggests I set out for my medical appointments early. Oh the fun of road not getting gritted and Australian motorists not knowing how to drive with ice about.

And hubby has just rung. He's finally at work. It's taken 50% more time than usual (60mins instead of 40 mins) to get to work. 2 crashes either side of where we have to join the highway (just a dual carriageway) and 1 double articulated lorry facing totally the wrong way which will need the entire road closing to recover because they'll have to drive several km down the wrong side of the carriageway to get to a point where it can be returned to the other side.

He suggests I set out for my medical appointments early. Oh the fun of road not getting gritted and Australian motorists not knowing how to drive with ice about.

Certain places here are grit when its snowing on the passes to west coast. Arthur's pass and lewis pass only 2 ways to the coast. Over mountains. My hilux was never a problem. I drove over 100s of times. Cars use chains to get grip.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom