The General Chat Thread (2024)

I had an op about 5 months ago now.
And me being me, I just had no idea.
Come then and then.
OK
So I arrive and suddenly I got bloodwork done, x-ray, ecg, heart scan, talk to anaethesist etc etc. All in 1 day.
It was just so easy

Just found a pic of when I went to London in 2019 and came back with a suitcase full of tea :D
32191383_2136965716317575_5825178862694170624_n.jpg

“Fun” day at MrsT’s doc’s appointment day before yesterday.

She has a common congenital heart defect, a hole in her heart. It was the cause of her stroke 11 years ago.

At that time, the insurance-approved coverage was to treat with blood thinners first, and only do surgery to close the hole if blood thinners weren’t effective.

Back then, the blood thinner of choice was warfarin/coumadin, very cheap, but since then, it’s fallen out of favor, replaced by new meds like Eliquis…very expensive.

All of a sudden, insurance is now happy to approve the surgery…usually. Hmmmm… 🤔

So we met with her cardiologist’s partner about closing up that hole and getting her off blood thinners, and he agreed she was a good candidate for it, wrote everything up, and sent us back out to the clinic’s registration/check-out desk for the details.

First, we had to schedule the appointment. He does these only on Fridays. She went over her calendar and found the first Friday she’s available is 22 March. Great, scheduled.

“Ok, so you’ll need blood work done ahead of time, here’s a standing order, any time within 10 days of the procedure.”

Fine, she can work that in.

“He also wants a new echo done on your heart, let’s get that scheduled.”

She called the echo people…waiting…on hold…waiting…”They can do it this day.”

“I’m out of down from the 23rd-7th.”

“Hmmmm…,” waiting…waiting…on hold…waiting…finally, they found an agreeable day. Sorted.

“You’ll also see a pre-surgery physical, let’s get that set up.”

Same haggling, and everything is a mess because of her work schedule, her trip out of town, or the four other doc appointments she already has.

That gets scheduled, as well as a follow-up after the surgery. Are we done?

Not quite: “You’ll also need sign-off from your neurologist. Who’s that?”

“Dr. Sherman, but I haven’t seen him in 11 years, and he moved away anyway.”

“Ok, we’ll use our usual one.”

Called over…waiting…waiting…on hold…waiting…

Once they finally answered, they asked, “Has she seen a neurologist before?”

“Yes, 11 years ago, but he’s gone now.”

“Well, we don’t accept patients who’ve seen a neurologist before. Sorry!”

What commenced was calling around to various other neurologists’ offices, until they finally found one who’d agree to see her, but they wouldn’t set up an appointment at that time…their scheduling department will call her “sometime in the next two weeks.”

So that’s where we are. It took maybe 20 minutes to get her vitals checked, talk to the surgeon, and a whopping 75 minutes to get through the check-out, and we won’t find out if insurance approves it until the last step, meaning if they say no, we’ll still be on the hook for paying for all those other pre-op appointments! 🤦🏻‍♂️
Crickey, that's difficult.

It seems a lot easier here in Australia privies you have health care and the $$$ to pay the gap.

Crickey, that's difficult.

It seems a lot easier here in Australia privies you have health care and the $$$ to pay the gap.
It’s such a crap shoot here - this doc’s office is more helpful than most in that when they’re referring you out, they’ll generally make the appointments. My doc just gives me whatever phone numbers I need and I have to do it myself.

Crazy warm today - 62F/17C. Early February, we’re used to half that.

It’s such a crap shoot here - this doc’s office is more helpful than most in that when they’re referring you out, they’ll generally make the appointments. My doc just gives me whatever phone numbers I need and I have to do it myself.

Back when I worked in office, we made appointments for patients because we could generally get them in sooner than if they made the appointment themselves, which can be helpful in case of needed surgery.

Back when I worked in office, we made appointments for patients because we could generally get them in sooner than if they made the appointment themselves, which can be helpful in case of needed surgery.
A couple of years ago, my chiropractor suggested I get a medical massage - “Talk to your doctor, they’ll have licensed medical massage therapists on file to refer you to.”

I contacted my doc’s office and told them what I needed:

“Have you tried googling for that?”

My Vitamix blender broke! :cry::cry::cry:

I have no idea if it’s under warranty still. What a pain, I use it all the time.

A couple of years ago, my chiropractor suggested I get a medical massage - “Talk to your doctor, they’ll have licensed medical massage therapists on file to refer you to.”

I contacted my doc’s office and told them what I needed:

“Have you tried googling for that?”

I was writing about true doc appointments, not pseudo care.

I was writing about true doc appointments, not pseudo care.
The point was, the chiropractor works with various doctors’ offices, and it was his experience that a doctor’s office would have references, but mine didn’t.

I’m of course assuming you’re keying in on the medical massage as pseudo care, but you could mean the chiro as well - my earlier doc had no love of chiropractors, though mine was able to fix me up where my doc and his referral to a neurologist weren’t.

Yay! I got some new trousers today. These are slim (not skinny!) fit gold Dockers. I call them gold, I think they call them something like “wholegrain mustard.” :laugh:

Anyway, I like them. Funny story - MrsT knows I’m always on the lookout for “unusually-colored” trousers, like plum or yellow or orange, or even patterns. That’s because men’s trousers here are almost always sold in blue, olive, and some shade of beige/tan/brown. So thrilling. 😒

Anyway, she was ordering some things for herself and she checked men’s, and saw these gold ones on sale, and put them in her cart.

Later, she was about to place the order, and she said, “Geez, this is a lot for clothes, I might have to take your pants out.”

“What’re you ordering?”

It was seven tops and three bottoms for her, my pants…and mine were the ones she felt were expendable! :laugh:

The point was, the chiropractor works with various doctors’ offices, and it was his experience that a doctor’s office would have references, but mine didn’t.

I’m of course assuming you’re keying in on the medical massage as pseudo care, but you could mean the chiro as well - my earlier doc had no love of chiropractors, though mine was able to fix me up where my doc and his referral to a neurologist weren’t.
You want to try out my tiny Thai terror. She found out one of her clients was a Dr so gave them some of her shall we say less traditional beliefs about Thai massage curing everything (including deafness and blindness) and when the Doc disagreed she told them to leave, that she couldn’t massage them anymore, they’d better go.

Then in a slightly accusatorial style and eyeing me suspiciously she said thats the problem with people in the West, they don’t believe.
As I wanted my full hours massage I replied “Umm well I’m not sure, I think secretly they do, I just think they have trouble admitting it openly 😬😂🤣😂🤣

Yay! I got some new trousers today. These are slim (not skinny!) fit gold Dockers. I call them gold, I think they call them something like “wholegrain mustard.” :laugh:

Anyway, I like them. Funny story - MrsT knows I’m always on the lookout for “unusually-colored” trousers, like plum or yellow or orange, or even patterns. That’s because men’s trousers here are almost always sold in blue, olive, and some shade of beige/tan/brown. So thrilling. 😒

Anyway, she was ordering some things for herself and she checked men’s, and saw these gold ones on sale, and put them in her cart.

Later, she was about to place the order, and she said, “Geez, this is a lot for clothes, I might have to take your pants out.”

“What’re you ordering?”

It was seven tops and three bottoms for her, my pants…and mine were the ones she felt were expendable! :laugh:
Oh yes you go for it Mr Christmas Dandy!!

Back
Top Bottom