The view from my window

I prefer living in the country over the city. There is a small city 20 miles to the North so we can go there pretty easily if we need to do something there.
I grew up right on the Ohio-Indiana border, with the little town College Corner straddling the line.

We made regular forays to Brookville…Connersville…Rushville…Oldenburg…Metamora…Little Nashville…and Richmond for the “big town” - my maternal grandparents lived less than 20 miles from Richmond, on the Ohio side. He’d never travelled anywhere, and he thought Richmond was the most beautiful city in the world. To him, it was as grand as Paris.

I grew up right on the Ohio-Indiana border, with the little town College Corner straddling the line.

We made regular forays to Brookville…Connersville…Rushville…Oldenburg…Metamora…Little Nashville…and Richmond for the “big town” - my maternal grandparents lived less than 20 miles from Richmond, on the Ohio side. He’d never travelled anywhere, and he thought Richmond was the most beautiful city in the world. To him, it was as grand as Paris.
I've never been to Richmond but I would imagine it is a nice place. I've been to Ft. Wayne many many times but that is way North of Richmond and not many miles from the Ohio border. I've been to most of the Northwest parts of Ohio including Toledo and Dayton and Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Columbus, the capital. The landscape is pretty similar to that of Indiana.

I see you appreciate the rural life like I do. Looks like those chickens haven't missed many meals. :)
You wouldn't know it though from the way they beg constantly for food. They are actual dual purpose birds which are naturally larger and much fluffier than the lean poor chickens on egg farms. They're Sussexes and they are actually quite thin (skin and bones) under all of those feathers and there are a lot of feathers. When they moult it looks like a massacre has occurred. They do have very big crops though.

With us living where it is very windy and frequently very cold, and just occasionally it snows, I prefer a more hardy chook than something better suited to a hot environment. I can keep them cool reasonably easily. Keeping them warm is much harder where we live.

I came across this photo of one of my girls doing the 'you've run me over' act, whilst I was clearing out of photos from my phone.

20230504_101405.jpg

In fact, there are actually 7 chooks in that picture! But it's the one against my 4×4 tyre that's sunbathing undercover.

You wouldn't know it though from the way they beg constantly for food. They are actual dual purpose birds which are naturally larger and much fluffier than the lean poor chickens on egg farms. They're Sussexes and they are actually quite thin (skin and bones) under all of those feathers and there are a lot of feathers. When they moult it looks like a massacre has occurred. They do have very big crops though.

With us living where it is very windy and frequently very cold, and just occasionally it snows, I prefer a more hardy chook than something better suited to a hot environment. I can keep them cool reasonably easily. Keeping them warm is much harder where we live.

I came across this photo of one of my girls doing the 'you've run me over' act, whilst I was clearing out of photos from my phone.

View attachment 116222

In fact, there are actually 7 chooks in that picture! But it's the one against my 4×4 tyre that's sunbathing undercover.
My neighbor across the road has chickens so I wake in the morning to the rooster songs. I have no need for an alarm clock

My neighbor across the road has chickens so I wake in the morning to the rooster songs. I have no need for an alarm clock
Behind our house is a big field - farmer grows either corn or soybeans, depending on the year. We have a tree line separating our back yard from the field.

Last year, he put cows back there for the first time ever. Can’t see (during summer, anyway), but they’re back there mooing all day long. We love it!

Sounds like you have avoided the city life as well. I once lived in a high rise apartment on Lake Michigan in Chicago when my career took me there. It wasn't for me and I didn't renew the lease. I lived in a fairly distant suburb for years and finally freed myself of the city when my career brought me here.

We don't have much cattle around here. The farms are mostly crop farms with corn and soy beans primarily as you can guess. The largest soy bean processor in the country is in Ft. Wayne, not far from Ohio. They were one of my customers - not for soy beans, though.

For me it depends on what time of morning they start. I've heard them as early as 4:00 AM. Not as lovely at that hour.
Agreed. If I remember correctly they keep on repeating their call? It confused me when it was closer to noon. Who's sleeping then?😅
Anyways, I know zero about rural life, plus my memory fades, so it might be I dreamt.😂

I don't have a rooster. He was rehomed have he decided he didn't like my top chook (who was the eldest) and started to drive her out of the flock. He went to a breeder.

Back
Top Bottom