The view from my window

I know it’s not very Canadian of me, but I have the internal thermostat of an 80 year old woman.
It may be. I remember being amazed at the low threshold for cold that native Minnesotans seemed to possess, and Minnesota is aka AC…Almost Canada.

Seriously, for a people who’d happily traipse outside to do “fun” things in -40F temps, they’d break out the stocking caps and mittens at about 55F and commence griping about how cold it was!

That reminds me of the stories my Grandma used to tell me about her Brasil visit...some 35 or 40 y ago, when she was visiting her other daughter and Grandchild...apparently those temperatures of 15 to 20c called out for coats and hats...wintery items...

It probably is the stark contrast between the 40c and the 15c...

Today, we have 21c, after lots of rain and thunder, but it is still barefoot and shortsleeves for me. It is our summer, an oscillation inbetween the heatwave of 35c.

But if I calculate a 20c or so difference between the 30c and 10c temperatures, at 10 I do need a jacket, possibly a beanie as well, scarf most certainly...solid shoes...and minus 5c is freezing cold...

It does not get much colder here, occasionally minus 10, but almost never far lower than that.

So, I admire people who can live and work in the extremes.

There is a Svalbard, island near thd North Pole youtuber that I sometimes watch, and 8c is "so warm today" to her...so I guess we all adapt to the various climates...

I'm sure we adapt...
But also, I find 28-30 oC in the Netherlands hot, but cool here.
It feels totally different. We got a dry heat here plus everyone builds to keep the heat out (and not much concrete & tar where I am)

I'm sure we adapt...
But also, I find 28-30 oC in the Netherlands hot, but cool here.
It feels totally different. We got a dry heat here plus everyone builds to keep the heat out (and not much concrete & tar where I am)
Really? Most interesting. I have heard from a geography student, long ago, that concrete in cities adds up at least 3 to 4c to the temp, if I remember correctly.

So what you say is in the Netherlands there is understandably more humidity and that makes it feel hotter?

Yes, I would assume greenery, shade, beautiful lush trees keep it much nicer...as far as building where you are now, is it the ancient techniques of drafty passages/breezy/ open spaces and certain angles and in-earth rooms or parts of rooms?

There was a mind blowing reportage about those techniques, but I may have forgotten all the details...it is still used in certain eco projects...around the globe...

Yes and no
I live in a rural area, so no tarmac, concrete, exhaust fumes.
No electricity either, so no airconditioning.
Instead:
Canvas walls
Air flow
And if hot, water will cool you down, so wet/moist bed sheet at night
Mid afternoon break (siesta)

concrete, mud, brick, adobe . . . all materials with high heat capacitance.
in summer they heat up slowly - keeping the inside cool.
in winter they cool down slowly - keeping the inside warm.

that said, urban environments with 'nothing but concrete & pavement' - it is a proven effect that makes those areas 'hotter' than places just 1000 meters away without the 'everything paved' factor.

Sunrise this morning, spotted from the sitting room window but taken from outside because the verandah is in the way otherwise!

20240627_071220.jpg

Yes and no
I live in a rural area, so no tarmac, concrete, exhaust fumes.
No electricity either, so no airconditioning.
Instead:
Canvas walls
Air flow
And if hot, water will cool you down, so wet/moist bed sheet at night
Mid afternoon break (siesta)
Incredible how perceptions of humidity change according to where you are, and what you're used to, isn't it? In Caracas, when it rains and then the sun comes out; it's about 100% humidity. But I barely notice it. I DO notice the humidity in the UK, however.

Please let me know if you find a good company. I only need it in one room really.
We have window units in the US, don't they sell them in the UK? Our house has a whole house hvac but we have a guest room above the garage that doesn't get cool, so when we have company we put the window unit in for them.

I can't imaging going without ac here. Even as far north as we are it gets miserably hot in summer.

We have window units in the US, don't they sell them in the UK?
Air conditioning units in the UK are about as common as photos of Vladimir Putin in the Ukraine.
having said that, my son in London bought a mobile A/c unit (it's on wheels, and can be moved from room to room) .

Air conditioning units in the UK are about as common as photos of Vladimir Putin in the Ukraine.
having said that, my son in London bought a mobile A/c unit (it's on wheels, and can be moved from room to room) .
I'm thinking it would make a good centre for a dartboard or perhaps a game of "pin the tail on the donkey" (not sure if they have that game over in the UK).

1719530116462.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom