What Are You Reading?

I once had a kindle, but couldn't get used to it. Old school, undoubtedly.
I'm currently reading "All the Demons are Here" by Jake Tapper. I bought it in Houston airport to read on the plane.
On a scale of 1-10, it's around 4 at the moment. It's supposedly a thriller ( so therefore, fictional) but the writer insists on putting little notes at the bottom of each page, which I find utterly annoying.

Notes at the bottom of a page annoy me too, find myself going back and forth between the notes and the story..

I set up my phone to read some of my books to me whilst I was driving on Monday because I am very behind on the reading in one of my subjects and I had 2hrs driving to do on mostly empty roads on cruise control.

These are texts with loads of references... boy did that drive me mad.

I got to the point where the he had gained access to get computer whilst recovering data from a faulty hard drive and had found intimate....

the defendant had been in a relationship with the complainant. In the process of assisting her to recover data from a faulty computer, he gained access to intimate
111 56 F 3d 1416 (DC Cir. 1995). Also see State v. Schwartz, 173 Ore App 301 at 317 (Or. Ct App. 2001) where it was held that password files could be the subject of theft under the Oregon statute. 112 Also see US v. Kernell, 742 P Supp 2d 904 (ED Tenn. 2010) in which the defendant was prosecuted, inter alia, for wire fraud in relation to unauthorised access to Governor Sarah Palin’s email account. The court rejected a motion to dismiss which argued that ‘information data and pictures’ cannot constitute ‘property’ for the purposes of 18 USC § 1343. 113 R v. McLaughlin [1980] 2 SCR 331. 114 See, e.g., US v. Schreier, 908 F 2d 645 (10th Cir. 1990). 115 R v. Whitely (1991) 93 Cr App R 25; Cox v. Riley (1986) 83 Cr App R 54; Re Turner (1984) 13 CCC (3d) 430. 116 Law Commission (UK), Computer misuse, Final Report No. 186 (1989), [2.31]. 117 [1988] AC 1063. 118 Ibid., at 1071. 119 D. B. Parker, Fighting computer crime (New York: Scribner, 1983), p. 240; J. McConvill, ‘Contemporary comment: Computer trespass in Victoria’ (2001) 25 Criminal Law Journal 220, 224. 120 Lund v. Commonwealth, 217 Va 688 (SC Va. 1977). 121 State v. McGraw, 480 NE 2d 552 (SC Ind. 1985). See also S. W. Brenner, ‘Bits, bytes, and bicycles: Theft and cyber theft’ (2012) 47 New England Law Review 817. 122 R v. Maurer, 2014 SKPC 118.
8 kilometres later I was today and utterly frustrated.. inimate what? Get on with it...
no, not done yet. :banghead:
Computer as target (Chapter 2) - Principles of Cybercrime Published online by Cambridge University Press
And then the title, the page number and finally
photographs which she had taken during a previous relationship. The defendant refused her request to delete the images and, after their relationship soured, he posted the images on the internet, and distributed flyers at her workplace providing a link to the site.123

All you can do is stop or pause the reading. If you stop it, it goes back to the very beginning and you start all over again. I think I'm going to have to find some other reading app, one intelligent enough to know that I'm not interested in half a page of references being read out to me whilst I'm driving, especially when you leave a cliff hanger like that!

I started reading postcards form the edge by Carrie Fisher, supposed to be screamingly funny and hilarious...quarter of the way through and not even raised a smile...as I missing something :scratchhead:

I started reading postcards form the edge by Carrie Fisher, supposed to be screamingly funny and hilarious...quarter of the way through and not even raised a smile...as I missing something :scratchhead:
You’re not the first I’ve heard say that about Postcards from the Edge.

Personally, I never saw what was all that great about Carrie Fisher, I never thought she was a particularly good actor, though I know she had a reputation as being a very talented script doctor behind the scenes.

You’re not the first I’ve heard say that about Postcards from the Edge.

Personally, I never saw what was all that great about Carrie Fisher, I never thought she was a particularly good actor, though I know she had a reputation as being a very talented script doctor behind the scenes.

I chose it mostly because it is supposed to be funny and I wanted something that would make me laugh.

I got the sequel to "I am pilgrim", but it took so long to come out that I decided maybe I should read the Pilgrim book again as a reminder.

The other book thats never far from me is "town Nyanja".
Gotta get the hang of that language sometime soon

I’m reading a murder mystery from a fairly popular self-published writer. I don’t like it, because if you read her biography, her detective is a thinly-disguised version of herself, and of course, can do no wrong in the books.

Her character even portrays some terribly dishonest and manipulative traits to get after the baddies, and treats it all with a “tee-hee, that’s just me!” attitude.

Maybe if the character were completely fictional, it wouldn’t bother me so much, but she’s poured so much of her real-life self into the character, I’m finding I don’t like the character because I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like the real person.

Back
Top Bottom