What Are You Reading?

Iā€™m reading a murder mystery from a fairly popular self-published writer. I donā€™t like it, because if you read her biography, her detective is a thinly-disguised version of herself, and of course, can do no wrong in the books.

Her character even portrays some terribly dishonest and manipulative traits to get after the baddies, and treats it all with a ā€œtee-hee, thatā€™s just me!ā€ attitude.

Maybe if the character were completely fictional, it wouldnā€™t bother me so much, but sheā€™s poured so much of her real-life self into the character, Iā€™m finding I donā€™t like the character because Iā€™m pretty sure I wouldnā€™t like the real person.
Are you sure it's her real self?
I mean they often use the traits they have observed in others that they know well.

I'm sure I'd be able to write a corking book on manipulation but that's because my mother is top tier at it.

As a result I can't abide a lack of honesty and hate manipulation A LOT!

Are you sure it's her real self?
Her character has the same day job, same body type, same types of friends, same relationship status, same pet status, same medical issues, and her bio strongly hints at the same personality.

Of course, it could be some hairy old geezer writing under an assumed nameā€¦whoa, double-bluff! šŸ¤Æ

Words of Hope by Padre Pio, bought a couple of days ago, couldn't resist, and read a page a day, yesterday and today. Truly uplifting.
Will try to remain consistent in finishing the bio though.

Tom Sharpe is one of those authors I could read over and over again. Utterly hilarious. Classic English farce, of course, and if you're not used to that, it might be a little difficult to get your head around it. All of his main characters are what you might think of as "normal" people; Wilt, Konstabel Els, Yapp and Skullion, who seem to manoeuvre themselves into impossible situations and then come out smelling of roses. I think Porterhouse Blue was also a film/ series?

Tom Sharpe is one of those authors I could read over and over again. Utterly hilarious. Classic English farce, of course, and if you're not used to that, it might be a little difficult to get your head around it. All of his main characters are what you might think of as "normal" people; Wilt, Konstabel Els, Yapp and Skullion, who seem to manoeuvre themselves into impossible situations and then come out smelling of roses. I think Porterhouse Blue was also a film/ series?

Yes Porterhouse Blue was really good :laugh:

Finished Brahms bio 2 weeks ago or so, read St. Antonio di Padoa bio.
Will try to acquire new books tomorrow, when I fetch materials for my students.

Back
Top Bottom