What did you cook or eat today (June 2024)

Status
Not open for further replies.
for our anniversary we splunged for Hell's Kitchen (in DC)
IMG_4583.jpg

DW said I had a reaction
IMG_4577.jpg

but - it was veddy good. also veddy pricey.

DD#1 & DW had the Beef Wellington, med rare - DW who does not like any pink,,, much less red.... pronounced it superb. (???)
I had beef tartar with sauce gribiche - excellent; + a deboned branzini.
I'm extremely ueberly picky about ordering a tartar - this was worth it....
IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

shrimp cocktail was disappointing.
scallops were small, but excellent.
the sticky toffee pudding was very good, but didn't live up to the hype.
IMG_3451.JPG

Greek Chicken Gyros
Used my new julienne blade in the processor on the cucumber and the onion. So pleased with it, took seconds.

IMG_3309.jpeg
A boatload of garlic in this one!

IMG_2038.jpeg
Tzatziki, needed more lemon than the recipe stated to bring up the tang factor.

IMG_2040.jpeg
My superduper jullienne blade, saved my poor ol' hands!

IMG_2039.jpeg
Easy flatbread filler

IMG_3326.jpeg
Half of the chicken. Would not fry the thighs from start to finish next time as they are difficult to cook through without burning due to the yogurt and garlic marinade. Next time I'll flash fry them and finish them in the oven.

IMG_0674.jpeg
They looked much better IRL but I was busy cooking the next batch of chicken and asked someone to take a pic of one.

It was very much enjoyed by everyone. Some minor tweaks next time but overall it was a reliable recipe 👍

Greek Chicken Gyros recipe

for our anniversary we splunged for Hell's Kitchen (in DC)
View attachment 115331

DW said I had a reaction
View attachment 115334
but - it was veddy good. also veddy pricey.

DD#1 & DW had the Beef Wellington, med rare - DW who does not like any pink,,, much less red.... pronounced it superb. (???)
I had beef tartar with sauce gribiche - excellent; + a deboned branzini.
I'm extremely ueberly picky about ordering a tartar - this was worth it....
View attachment 115339
View attachment 115340

shrimp cocktail was disappointing.
scallops were small, but excellent.
the sticky toffee pudding was very good, but didn't live up to the hype.
View attachment 115341
Yum yum! What is the steak tartare resting on? Looks like pickles in an emulsion of some sort?

Its not a sandwich. Well, not unless you put the halves together before eating. Nice looking jam.
Usually we would call SSNO's meal bread slices with vegan butter and jam. However, in the US that could still technically be called a sandwich, but it would be called "open-faced"...though generally open-faced sandwiches are hot, messy sandwiches with meat and/or vegetables on them and are eaten with a knife and fork.

Usually we would call SSNO's meal bread slices with vegan butter and jam. However, in the US that could still technically be called a sandwich, but it would be called "open-faced"...though generally open-faced sandwiches are hot, messy sandwiches with meat and/or vegetables on them and are eaten with a knife and fork.
Yep here (by here I mean down in the West Country) they're called whatever it is "on toast" or on whatever type of bread it is, is named eg "on sourdough bread"
Or cold they're just called an open sandwich. Which I like, more filling less bread!

I had tuna melt for the first time a few weeks ago, I think that is definitely my favourite thing on toast at the moment.

I think it was just a puddle of the sauce gribiche - which was not in my vocabulary, . . . so I had to look it up:
Learn How to Turn Eggs, Garlic, and Capers Into a Delicious Sauce
it's a very tasty combo!

somewhat unorthodox for beef tartar...?
which I normally prefer as 'the beef, all the beef, nothing but the beef' - seasoned...and that's the usual rub - 'the seasoning' must right without 'becoming the dish'
a local farm-to-table place does a spectacular seasoning + well with raw quail egg.
but the Hell's Kitchen version - a creamier "mix" - I would 'do again'

Thanks for that…I’ve got some green beans destined for the pot this weekend, and I think that would go nicely.

it is a tasty "sauce" - not your grandfather's Oldsmobile. . .
I'll be experimenting / trying it in the future.

cited as "shredded egg yoke" - musta' been a real hard cooked yoke to make those slender slivers . . .
I have a couple favs that require more egg whites than egg yokes.
the left-over yokes I plunk into a small bowl of water, into the oven, cook/bake . . .
it's a "snack " - or ... a definite a potential for the sauce/dish 'as presented'

A Frittata experiment. Combining let's say Al Greca, with vegan cheese that is, and Di Pasta... unsure, but possible.

I pan fried the red onion first, seasoned with a Chinese mix and salt, transferred it to the: olives, leftover pasta, cherry tomatoes, the aforementioned vegan cheese cubes, whisked the eggs separately, and then mixed it all in.

It broke in the first flip ( my bad, I flipped with my left hand, and I am right- handed🫣), but it sort of recovered😁 until the 2nd flip, and it was delicious!

20240628_213424.jpg

One of the joys I had waiting for me on my return was the 3kg meat press.
So two kilos of chicken thighs appeared and brain fart me then realised two kilos is not enough for a 3kg meat press (who wudda thought?! 🙄) so I skinned two packs of nitrate free sausages to make up the weight mixed it about and left it overnight to get sticky.
IMG_3318.jpeg

I went for a chorizo recipe and used chicken rather than pork.
The large meat press due to it's wide diameter is taking forever to cool down even with ice in the surrounding water!
Pics tomoz after it's been in the fridge 👍

I’m very seriously considering buying one. I love lunchmeat, and most of it is horrible healthwise, and if I could make some healthyish bologna, I’d be all over that.
I'm enjoying it.
I wouldn't buy the 3kg press again. The 2kg press is better.

If you give me few more weeks and I'll be able to give you a realistic idea of what works and if it's worth it 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom