What did you cook or eat today (October 2024)?

Last of my dough šŸ˜”
Cheesebread!
20241002_200140.jpg

I'm currently filling the freezer for the weeks ahead when I won't want to cook properly. Today a made a batch of leek and potato soup, this is in the freezer next to the several portions of beef stew, and pots of generic ragu/ beef mince/ unspiced chilli I made before. Add in two big bags of Ikea Meatballs, three bags of Aldi scampi (it's the best) and a load of sausages and pies from the butcher, I am almost done.

Pan-fried thin-cut chicken breast, Knorr rice, and pasta side, salad (spring mix topped with black olives, cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, and blue cheese dressing).

View attachment 119192
I've been craving salads lately, yours looks so good! My DH loves blue cheese, I am not a fan so I would do ranch instead. We had salads last night for dinner with chicken and bacon.

Tonight we are having beef and barley soup using filet mignon scrap from the last time I bought a whole tenderloin. I will put carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes in it and then add the barley near the end. I have the filet in the crockpot (AKA slow cooker) now.

So I think I remember that over in the UK large prawns are called scampi, is that correct? Here in the US it's a specific dish of large prawns/shrimp with a lemon, butter, and garlic sauce:
https://damndelicious.net/2019/02/04/garlic-butter-shrimp-scampi/

Well sort of. It's supposed to be langoustine but somehow I doubt what you can get from supermarkets is that. They are breaded and supposed to be deep fried I think. But the supermarket variety pops into the oven from frozen.

Example. Says they are langoustine: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/313000026

Must try it. I know SandwichShortOfAPicnic is partial to scampi too but don't know if she lives anywhere near an Aldi.

One opened nearby last year šŸ‘
But sadly I have to buy the only gluten free version thatā€™s available and itā€™s not much cop. Still worth eating but compared with the best wheaty variety itā€™s not a winner!

One opened nearby last year šŸ‘
But sadly I have to buy the only gluten free version thatā€™s available and itā€™s not much cop. Still worth eating but compared with the best wheaty variety itā€™s not a winner!

Ah. I forgot the gluten free thing. Sorry... I was thinking the other day (whilst watching some cooking programmes set in America) that it might be tricky for you with your planned trip to the USA. It's difficult here too when eating out, I imagine.

Ah. I forgot the gluten free thing. Sorry... I was thinking the other day (whilst watching some cooking programmes set in America) that it might be tricky for you with your planned trip to the USA. It's difficult here too when eating out, I imagine.

No worries šŸ˜Š
Yes I think it will be tricky but Iā€™ll have my trusty pannier kitchen to fall back on. Iā€™ve already checked they sell the right type of kettle in America!

Back
Top Bottom