What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First meal out yesterday at a local wine bar.

Not brilliant food. They used to do the best triple cooked chips but standards have dropped. Supper was more successful though. First 'home' cooked meal of the holiday was a beef curry, using part ready made paste and part fresh ingredients.

I first had banana leaf curry in Bangsar, a suburb of Kuala Lumpur back in '95. I tried to emulate it today with Chicken Kolhapuri, Bombay potatoes and aromatic yellow rice.

Unfortunately I lost my nerve and dumped it all on a plate. To serve food on a banana leaf the leaf has to first be in place on the table because it's not easy to manouever after.

I first had banana leaf curry in Bangsar, a suburb of Kuala Lumpur back in '95. I tried to emulate it today with Chicken Kolhapuri, Bombay potatoes and aromatic yellow rice.

Unfortunately I lost my nerve and dumped it all on a plate. To serve food on a banana leaf the leaf has to first be in place on the table because it's not easy to manouever after.

Why did you lose your nerve?

First meal out yesterday at a local wine bar.
View attachment 46270
Not brilliant food. They used to do the best triple cooked chips but standards have dropped. Supper was more successful though. First 'home' cooked meal of the holiday was a beef curry, using part ready made paste and part fresh ingredients.

That looks like kebabs that have been marinated but not yet cooked... :scratchhead:

Why did you lose your nerve?

Because I was frightened of moving it to the stoep. I could have slid it onto a cutting board I suppose but I've had a few disasters with food between the kitchen and the stoep.

In Bangsar, you were issued with a banana leaf at the table then waiters would circulate with pans of food and deposit a portion of what you wished onto the leaf. Of course, forks and spoons were not supplied.

Last edited:
We went to the fish market, it was half it normal size, only about 20 local fisherman's stalls. One was cutting up a swordfish caught last night, You can see the head in the background of one of the pics. So we bought two steaks and a 1 kg of shrimp for buzara. I will try to post pics tomorrow

That looks like kebabs that have been marinated but not yet cooked... :scratchhead:
I thought that but the place obviously doesn't have a tandoor which would allow for a charred outside while still keeping the chicken moist and tender within.
It looks to me like chicken tikka yet to be cooked. However, the pieces of chicken need to have at least 5 mm of gap between them on the skewer for cooking.

View attachment 46276
Yes. Homemade marinade (that colour?) cooked, but no evidence of ever being near a grill, let alone a tandoor.

Going to do pesto pasta with chicken, prawn, mushroom & peas tonight, another favourite of ours, couldn't be bothered to make the pesto so bought a jar of vegan gluten free hippy stuff just to try though i'm not expecting nirvana, i really hope i'm proved wrong. Already added Parmeggiano for flavour so my hopes aren't great but we will see....
It actually came out really good but as I knew it was vegan I added a good amount of Parmeggiano.

I just put dough to rise for two loaves of bread. I will bake both and freeze one. We only go through one loaf every five days or so.
G is with a dear friend for a Teal hunt. (small duck). I sent a triple batch of Hummus and a triple batch of Tartar Sauce. They are frying fish and shrimp this evening. I also sent a Cantaloupe Loaf with a Kahlua Sugar Glaze. The guys always love whatever I send. I wish I had included a vegetable casserole and a breakfast casserole. The only veggies they have are potatoes and they eat gross Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches.
Cardboard biscuit, plastic cheese, artificial eggs and mystery meat. :yuck:

The only veggies they have are potatoes and they eat gross Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches.
Cardboard biscuit, plastic cheese, artificial eggs and mystery meat. :yuck:

I have never been able to figure those things out, why do people eat them? I'd rather have a fresh breakfast sandwich from Burger King (haven't had one of those in about 30 years). I bet they freeze well and could be used as a convenience food at home or camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom