What did you cook or eat today (September 2020)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leftover beef stew ( zoervleis) with leftover sauerkraut mash.

Are you watching the Browns? UGH.
No, the Vikings. Ugh. And now the Bengals. Ugh.

I'm not a big fan of American football. I prefer hockey. I do like your sandwiches, though.
Thanks! I find my early-1960's electric knife to be indispensable in cutting off the crusts.

I don't even like sports in general, but it's a Sunday tradition for MrsTasty.

Egads, did I have a recipe disaster!

We were supposed to have corn pudding to go with the ham, a real "church supper" kind of meal. The pudding was cream cheese, corn, a can of creamed corn, cornbread mix, and milk (among other things), and the blasted thing would never set.

The recipe said to bake at 350F for 45-50 minutes - it was nowhere near done at that point. After 80 minutes and still wet and gloppy, I gave up and pitched the thing in the bin. 😡

Disaster here too yesterday, planned on pumpkin and kumara balls with satay sauce. Couldn't find the recipe I've used before. Made it from another recipe. Made and Putin fridge to cool before rolling. Rolled then rolled in breadcrumbs then fried. Except they just disintegrated. Couldn't understand why that happened.?? Cleaned up,the frier with a sieve and binned the rest. Luckily I had croquettes in the freezer. Everyone still happy. I need to work out how this disaster occurred. I've read the recipe three times., I dunno??

Russ

Disaster here too yesterday, planned on pumpkin and kumara balls with satay sauce. Couldn't find the recipe I've used before. Made it from another recipe. Made and Putin fridge to cool before rolling. Rolled then rolled in breadcrumbs then fried. Except they just disintegrated. Couldn't understand why that happened.?? Cleaned up,the frier with a sieve and binned the rest. Luckily I had croquettes in the freezer. Everyone still happy. I need to work out how this disaster occurred. I've read the recipe three times., I dunno??

Russ
The first and only time I made homemade sauerkraut balls that were breaded and rolled, some of them disintegrated. I think two things: one is I made them a tad bit too large and don't have a big commercial fryer with a basket that would flash them in hot oil quickly enough. Secondly, and most importantly, I didn't pack them tight enough. Also could have added some bread crumbs to the actual mixture for a binder. So, I think some recipes people put out just aren't quite complete. Or maybe the author of your recipe just packed them super tight? Hmmm.

The first and only time I made homemade sauerkraut balls that were breaded and rolled, some of them disintegrated. I think two things: one is I made them a tad bit too large and don't have a big commercial fryer with a basket that would flash them in hot oil quickly enough. Secondly, and most importantly, I didn't pack them tight enough. Also could have added some bread crumbs to the actual mixture for a binder. So, I think some recipes people put out just aren't quite complete. Or maybe the author of your recipe just packed them super tight? Hmmm.

I thought it was a bit wet, I even thought about adding flour to bulk it up. I have to find the original recipe. But as an aside the satay sauce recipe was a big hit. Taste wise. I froze it.

Russ

No, the Vikings. Ugh. And now the Bengals. Ugh.

Thanks! I find my early-1960's electric knife to be indispensable in cutting off the crusts.

I don't even like sports in general, but it's a Sunday tradition for MrsTasty.

I pulled some leftover ribs out of the freezer, and heated them up, while NOT watching football. Steelers play on Monday Night Football, which is on ESPN, so I won't be able to watch them this week (no cable or satellite).

CD

Had lunch earlier, ham and creamed corn sammich. Lots pepper. Cheesy bread, really yummy.

I was tidying a couple of my sites over the weekend and this pepper caught my attention. I wondered, considering your obsession with pepper, whether you ever use it.

Long Pepper
Long pepper has a taste very similar to black pepper but with more heat. Used either crushed or ground it gives an extra bite to meat stews.

longpepper.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom