What do you use to sharpen your knives?

WaterPixie

Local time
9:22 PM

What kind of knives do you have?

Please state how you store your knives.

Please be as specific as possible. Brands, models etc.

Please also state for how long you have been sharpening your knives with your specified sharpening tool/s. I read the pull through ones cause substantial damage to knife edges in the long term.

Photos of all the above of YOUR knives and sharpening gear etc would also be great. Including your kitchen worktop setup with your knives in their storage etc.

I am considering a guided knife sharpening system off Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000B8IEA4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A29UR9Z0M2AHGU&psc=1)

But I read this:

''What I can say from my experience is no clamp based systems I have used (most of the guided systems) are very good at knives longer than 210mm (8 inches) nor are they good with flexible knives, the rods are simply not long enough in some cases, and you will run into issues where the angle shifts along the belly of the knife giving you a much lower inclusive apex towards the tip of the blade unless you do half the knife and then remount the blade etc. . but this just creates different issues..."

I currently own only 1 knife which is the Robert Welch, Signature Stainless Steel Santoku Knife. Can't remember the exact size of it.

I live in the UK.

I live with my parents and only my mum cooks and she uses small straight knives. Cheap plastic ones. They are Indian so she uses those kinda knives. They are probably from GREEN STREET in London UK. So not a known brand. Green Street is 'famous amongst Indians' for its Indian restaurants, Indian cookware shops and high Indian population.
I only use those knives for, for example taking the 'eye' out from the top of the tomato where the stalk was. I cut deep into it as for about 1cm it is thick inside under that eye (depending on the type of tomato). She has both straight and serrated versions of those knives. They are very small.

Last edited by a moderator:
No pics, because I’m supposed to be working right now (🤫), but I have a handful of Wüsthof knives, Classic series, that I’ve had for over 30 years.

They’re professionally sharpened once a year (due right about now), and the rest of the time, I use a Wüsthof steel to keep the edge up. I use the steel every time I pick up a knife, more or less.

I store my knives on a magnetic strip stuck up on the side of a cabinet.

blades will be a good resource for your questions.

No pics, because I’m supposed to be working right now (🤫), but I have a handful of Wüsthof knives, Classic series, that I’ve had for over 30 years.

They’re professionally sharpened once a year (due right about now), and the rest of the time, I use a Wüsthof steel to keep the edge up. I use the steel every time I pick up a knife, more or less.

I store my knives on a magnetic strip stuck up on the side of a cabinet.

blades will be a good resource for your questions.
By what company, at what total cost including any shipping costs? Thanks

I haven't bought a knife in years.
Mine range from the Thai kiwi brand (couple dollars) to victorinox and others.
Most expensive ones are a carbonext and global knives.
Just use google to find prices and shipping cost

Most used ones are in a wooden knife rack, made by my dad. The others on a magnetic strip.
I sharpen on a waterstone.

By what company, at what total cost including any shipping costs? Thanks
For the knives? They’re all Wüsthof.

As to cost…I got them as a gift over 30 years ago, but looking at both Wüsthof’s website and Amazon US, they sell somewhat similar sets for anywhere between $445US-$550US.

I’d not recommend buying a pre-assembled set, though. You’ll usually end up with a couple of knives you won’t use. I’d buy individual knives, and get exactly what I want (though I’m happy with my set).

there are a couple sharpening system similar to the Lansky - WickedEdge is one that comes to mind.

stones on a rod . . . have an inescapable geometry problem. the further the stone goes out the rod, the shallower the angle. this can be considered a good thing - the tip of the knife has a more acute cutting angle - hence "sharper." the downside is, the more acute the included edge angle the faster it wears and gets 'dull.'

on a relatively short knife, ~8 inches / 20cm or less, the problem is not too noticeable.
santoku are typically in the 7" / 18cm range - so that would work for that knife.
longer thinner knives have the flexing issue...

years ago I moved from free hand sharpening on stones to the EdgePro system. the fixture type systems do a superior job (imho) than free hand (ueber experts excepted...)
I've been very happy/satisfied with the EdgePro.
my Wuesthof knives date from 1985.... they are in daily use, and sharp enough that one does not feel your cut until you see the blood . . .

regardless of freehand or fixture system - get a 10x magnifier so you can see the edge you're working on - it is very helpful/educational as you move into sharpening your own.

one of the best references for sharpening is Chad Ward's "An Edge in the Kitchen"
it was posted in a couple Forums but since he wrote the book it's been removed from most places, however the basics are still available here: Knife Maintenance and Sharpening

I have a set of Japanese sharpening stones from the King brand: a coarse 1000 grit and a finishing 6000 grit. I use the first one for the initial sharpening, and the second one to finish the blade to perfect sharpness.

Please also state for how long you have been sharpening your knives with your specified sharpening tool/s. I read the pull through ones cause substantial damage to knife edges in the long term.

Photos of all the above of YOUR knives and sharpening gear etc would also be great. Including your kitchen worktop setup with your knives in their storage etc.

I am considering a guided knife sharpening system off Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000B8IEA4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A29UR9Z0M2AHGU&psc=1)

But I read this:

''What I can say from my experience is no clamp based systems I have used (most of the guided systems) are very good at knives longer than 210mm (8 inches) nor are they good with flexible knives, the rods are simply not long enough in some cases, and you will run into issues where the angle shifts along the belly of the knife giving you a much lower inclusive apex towards the tip of the blade unless you do half the knife and then remount the blade etc. . but this just creates different issues. They are great for fixed blade and folding EDCs with a blade height over 20mm, though smaller knives often struggle with the actual clamping mechanism obstructing the stones at low angles. Hands down, no edge I can create on any of those other methods comes close to what I can do on the Wicked Edge, it consistently produces precise, easily maintained, hair whittling edges with relatively little skill or practice required and it does so relatively quickly. That said, IMO a guided system is not a good maintenance option, they are a hassle, and matching the existing angle is not as easy as it sounds even if you know exactly what it is, due to small variations in clamp geometry mostly. The way I use mine is to set a precise edge on all my knives shorter than 8 inches, then, in between I use diamond stones to maintain the edge, I like them because they can be used wet or dry, cut fast, can be held in one hand with the knife in the other, etc. . . The nice thing about the combination is the Wicked Edge produces such a precise edge it is easy to maintain with diamond stones and strop for several months of frequent use before it needs another full sharpen again. FYI, guided systems can be metal hogs, that is they can remove a lot of steel quickly and if you are using them frequently you can severely reduce the lifespan of a blade.''

I currently own only 1 knife which is the Robert Welch, Signature Stainless Steel Santoku Knife. Can't remember the exact size of it.

I live in the UK.

I live with my parents and only my mum cooks and she uses small straight knives. Cheap plastic ones. They are Indian so she uses those kinda knives. They are probably from GREEN STREET in London UK. So not a known brand. Green Street is 'famous amongst Indians' for its Indian restaurants, Indian cookware shops and high Indian population.
I only use those knives for, for example taking the 'eye' out from the top of the tomato where the stalk was. I cut deep into it as for about 1cm it is thick inside under that eye (depending on the type of tomato). She has both straight and serrated versions of those knives. They are very small.
I use a guided system from EdgePro. The guided systems like the one the review didn't like make sharpening faster and more accurate by maintaining the grinding at a consistent angle.

The knives that I use personally are all Japanese of different styles and brands. Most are fairly expensive. The one in my avatar was hand forged by a great knifesmith in Osaka. The Japanese make the best performing kitchen knives because of thin hard blades. Very few Western kitchen knives perform as well and none perform better.

I keep the most used knives in a knife block. The others are stored with edge guards in two drawers. I have a good number of kitchen knives.

I have been sharpening knives since childhood and I can make good edges with any sharpening equipment. The guided system is faster and more accurate so I use it. I agree that the pull through sharpeners cause more damage than good edges. It is good that you ignore them.

The review you read pans a clamp system. Most of the clamp systems work quite well. I use one from Lansky for pocket knives. The EdgePro I use for kitchen cutlery doesn't use clamps. It is a little large for pocket knives so I used both. I also use Japanese water stones from time to time and leather strops where appropriate. I recommend you choose a guided system whether it uses clamps or not. Use them properly and your blades will be as sharp as they can be.

Look for Japanese kitchen knives - not the Japanese styles like the deba but the Western style like the gyuto. Go for thin hard blades and your cutting work witll be faster and easier. Keep them sharp.

But I read this:

''What I can say from my experience is no clamp based systems I have used (most of the guided systems) are very good at knives longer than 210mm (8 inches) nor are they good with flexible knives, the rods are simply not long enough in some cases, and you will run into issues where the angle shifts along the belly of the knife giving you a much lower inclusive apex towards the tip of the blade unless you do half the knife and then remount the blade etc. . but this just creates different issues..."

I live in the UK.

You may find these 2 threads of interest.

General knife talk

Knife Sharpening

It is not possible for us to provide you with links to knives and say how much postage will be. You'll need to do your own investigations once you have chosen a brand of knives that you're interested in.

I've gone down the route of wooden handled German knives, but there is little point in me giving purchasing links because you can buy them in the UK. You'll pay lower postage costs than buying them from the USA or Australia.

I've since acquired another one in this collection. They are all stored in a proper knife block where the blades are protected from being knocked around and damaged in a general cutlery drawer (not to mention minimising the risks of cutting fingers when looking for anything in that drawer).

20220629_155035.jpg

You best option is to go to a physical shop and ask to handle the knives and work out what feels best for you in your hands. Then just buy one here and there over the years and build up a collection slowly.

You may find these 2 threads of interest.

General knife talk

Knife Sharpening

It is not possible for us to provide you with links to knives and say how much postage will be. You'll need to do your own investigations once you have chosen a brand of knives that you're interested in.

I've gone down the route of wooden handled German knives, but there is little point in me giving purchasing links because you can buy them in the UK. You'll pay lower postage costs than buying them from the USA or Australia.

I've since acquired another one in this collection. They are all stored in a proper knife block where the blades are protected from being knocked around and damaged in a general cutlery drawer (not to mention minimising the risks of cutting fingers when looking for anything in that drawer).

View attachment 118994

You best option is to go to a physical shop and ask to handle the knives and work out what feels best for you in your hands. Then just buy one here and there over the years and build up a collection slowly.
What knife block do you have? Thanks.

Lately I use this for quick sharpening. Can be used on straight edge, serrated edge, and scissors. Works well for me.

sharpal-sharpener.jpg

I also have a Chef's Choice unit, but only use it infrequently.

I have a sharpal but never needed to use it yet for my wustof knife. Like everyone else I use a Steel to keep the edge straight. So glad I found this thread as everyone i chat to thinks a Steel is for sharpening knives but its not.

I have a sharpal but never needed to use it yet for my wustof knife. Like everyone else I use a Steel to keep the edge straight. So glad I found this thread as everyone i chat to thinks a Steel is for sharpening knives but its not.
How long have you had your knife and how often do you use it and on what material of chopping board?

Back
Top Bottom