What made you smile recently (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, one for MG...

1698533505052.png

CD

Saw these today in Corfu:

I saw these, read the bottom sign, then read the top sign, then scratched my noggin and said, “It’s exactly what I thought it was.” 🤨

These…things are everywhere here, and I don’t just mean bottle openers. Little soaps, magnets…some of the magnets contain quite graphic depictions of…activities in the ancient world - how they get such detailed bits on refrigerator magnets is impressive - “Leave that goat alone, Demetrios!” :eek: :laugh:
Yep, they are all over Greece. The most disconcerting are the phalus cruet sets

Ever been to Pompeii? Some of the murals/frescoes and mosaics are quite graphic. They have reproductions and postcards and T-shirts and statues, etc in the souvenier area set up outside the city.

What gets me though, except for the  outlandishly large ones, all the weenies are tiny.
We’ve seen those at a couple of museum exhibitions, and of course, there’s a famous (infamous) sculpture of Pan and a goat getting very familiar.

I was laughing at the magnets, though, because the illustrations were so…detailed, and it’s just a little magnet.

And these were all in the outlandishly long category. :laugh:

My ex-wife had problems with that, too. It was really bad on the narrow roads in the Lake District.

CD

Those were the roads I learnt to drive on.

Here’s a narrow road for you both, from yesterday:

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/7e-sP0FihJE?si=bb7DwHP6HJiRP9MN

Single track, barely wider than the vehicle, lined on both sides by "dry stone walls"
When we lived there, we had a few alternate routes to get to work, and I usually took the single track road route, just because it was prettier and more calm, usually.

The first time I plotted out a back way to the office, I’d just gotten my vehicle delivered, MrsT wasn’t even there yet, and I was already itching to see more than just the A road, so I worked out a different route and took off to try it out.

I was flying down the road, single track, loving the hedges nearly scraping the side, amazed that some houses’ doors opened right into the road, when I shot around a curve, and nearly plowed into a little old lady riding a donkey side-saddle!

What’s more, she was dressed all in lacy black, complete with a hat, like you see in old movies of Victorian funerals. Very surreal!

When we lived there, we had a few alternate routes to get to work, and I usually took the single track road route, just because it was prettier and more calm, usually.
No alternate routes where we were. 10 miles of dead end, no through roads, no alternatives, end of story.

The road only goes/went down one side of the lake. We lived in the other side, the side that didn't go anywhere except getting you further and further from anywhere which for us was ideal. We used to live in a little place called Martindale, on Ullswater. Ironically the place often pops up on a map, though the name isn't how it was spelt on our lease and technically it isn't Martindale at that's point but Bannerdale but you have to have lived there to know that.

Screenshot_20231029_173434_Maps.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom