What made you smile recently (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That house was 1,400 square feet (130 square meters). Three bedrooms, one bathroom.

CD

My upstairs extension is approximately 70 sq meters.
We all had different upbringings but it would appear we all did well?
My best friend gary ( dad was a sparky) who had everything. I ran into him 10? Years ago. He was out of work. I got him an interview with a big company here. He got thr job. His younger sister is a junky.
:(

Russ

I couldn't find it.
I grew up at 49 manurere st chch.
You might be able to, ? I'm not too good on puta?

Russ

I found this. It is pretty hidden behind trees/bushes. Is this it?

1689041621467.png

CD

That's very similar to the house my wife grew up in.
I don’t have a handy pic of the house we moved to, though I’ve posted it on here before. I’d grab a Google shot, but you can’t see it from the road.

My dad and my brothers built it - 5 bedrooms and 2 baths, full basement, on seven acres, built in 1972, though it took 20 years to finish. There was always something else to do with it.

We also had a barn (with a workshop - Dad built a lot of our furniture), a smokehouse that sat on top of a root cellar, and after 1978, a sawmill.

I went looking for a pic of the house and found this note instead:

IMG_5048.jpeg

That’s from the woman who owned the Christmas tree farm. She wrote me that the week before I left home to join the military. She made that joke about me coming back home in December because she liked running the farm in the off-season, but she hated the retail side of it, and by the time I left, I was her right-hand man for that, dealing with customers and running the sales operation.

Sadly, she died just two years later, had a heart attack while driving, her car rolled onto some railroad tracks, and she was hit by a train.

Now I’ve read that and gotten a lump in my throat. So much for memories.

I don’t have a handy pic of the house we moved to, though I’ve posted it on here before. I’d grab a Google shot, but you can’t see it from the road.

My dad and my brothers built it - 5 bedrooms and 2 baths, full basement, on seven acres, built in 1972, though it took 20 years to finish. There was always something else to do with it.

We also had a barn (with a workshop - Dad built a lot of our furniture), a smokehouse that sat on top of a root cellar, and after 1978, a sawmill.

I went looking for a pic of the house and found this note instead:

View attachment 102345

That’s from the woman who owned the Christmas tree farm. She wrote me that the week before I left home to join the military. She made that joke about me coming back home in December because she liked running the farm in the off-season, but she hated the retail side of it, and by the time I left, I was her right-hand man for that, dealing with customers and running the sales operation.

Sadly, she died just two years later, had a heart attack while driving, her car rolled onto some railroad tracks, and she was hit by a train.

Now I’ve read that and gotten a lump in my throat. So much for memories.

The lady I gardened for mrs brake, I stopped going when I got my real job.
One night while reading in bed my mum was reading the paper,yelled out mrs brake has died. She was really good to me.
Then mum yelled out, you might get something in her will. I didn't lol.

Russ

I feel your pain brother. Mum got me a gardening job at 12.
My parents both believed work kept you out of trouble, and I guess it did. They farmed us out for every odd job.

I worked at the tree farm, and then he got me a job when I was 15 working as sort of a houseboy for a really aged woman.

I’d clean her windows, wash the car she never drove, weed the landscaping, crap like that, two afternoons a week, two hours each afternoon…$10 a week. That was in 1980/81.

I worked for her for a couple of years. Over time, she developed dementia (we didn’t call it that then, just senile), and I got there one afternoon, and she told me she wanted all the heads cut off all the flowers. I asked her a couple of times if she was sure, and she said, “Yes, cut ‘em all off!”

I did that, then she came back outside and yelled at me for ruining her landscaping, and I went home and told my dad I wasn’t going back, that she was crazy.

Didn’t matter…he farmed me out to another older couple…and they didn’t pay anything. I worked for free, because they couldn’t afford to pay anything. Mainly mowed the grass and cut firewood for them.

Then mum yelled out, you might get something in her will. I didn't lol.
The woman who wrote that note, she left my folks $25K in her will - all us boys worked for her over the years and my dad did a lot for her (she was a widow with no kids).

I didn’t see any of that money. :laugh:

My parents both believed work kept you out of trouble, and I guess it did. They farmed us out for every odd job.

I worked at the tree farm, and then he got me a job when I was 15 working as sort of a houseboy for a really aged woman.

I’d clean her windows, wash the car she never drove, weed the landscaping, crap like that, two afternoons a week, two hours each afternoon…$10 a week. That was in 1980/81.

I worked for her for a couple of years. Over time, she developed dementia (we didn’t call it that then, just senile), and I got there one afternoon, and she told me she wanted all the heads cut off all the flowers. I asked her a couple of times if she was sure, and she said, “Yes, cut ‘em all off!”

I did that, then she came back outside and yelled at me for ruining her landscaping, and I went home and told my dad I wasn’t going back, that she was crazy.

Didn’t matter…he farmed me out to another older couple…and they didn’t pay anything. I worked for free, because they couldn’t afford to pay anything. Mainly mowed the grass and cut firewood for them.
Our neighbors had less than us in most cases. I was smoking in a hay barn with a girl I knocked around with. We obviously left a butt going? It burnt down 20 mins later. I was 14??

Russ

The woman who wrote that note, she left my folks $25K in her will - all us boys worked for her over the years and my dad did a lot for her (she was a widow with no kids).

I didn’t see any of that money. :laugh:

Noone has ever given me anything ever!!
I tell people I had nothing at birth and now I still have most of it .

Russ

I’ll get back to something that just made me smile.

When I found that letter I just posted, right next to it, I had this:

IMG_5049.jpeg

In 1982, I bought a stack of used records, and there were several Buck Owens albums in there, from the 1960’s.

I loved ‘em. I only knew Buck Owens from Hee-Haw, where he was kind of a joke, but hearing this raw rockabilly-country Bakersfield stuff was awesome.

Even though they were nearly 20 year old records, I found an address to his fan club on one, wrote off, and got that autographed card. I love it!

This was fun to watch. I saw a lot of my childhood home in this video...

CD

I'd say we were middle class. Mother had a maid, a black lady, that came in a couple times a week to clean and do laundry. There was a huge combo console TV, radio, and record player. The kitchen table was formica with chairs covered in a geometric vinyl pattern, green and gold, and green fabric living room furniture and brown, orange, yellow family room furniture. I remember a Brownie camera early on. Don't remember anything much other than above.

I’ll get back to something that just made me smile.

When I found that letter I just posted, right next to it, I had this:

View attachment 102347

In 1982, I bought a stack of used records, and there were several Buck Owens albums in there, from the 1960’s.

I loved ‘em. I only knew Buck Owens from Hee-Haw, where he was kind of a joke, but hearing this raw rockabilly-country Bakersfield stuff was awesome.

Even though they were nearly 20 year old records, I found an address to his fan club on one, wrote off, and got that autographed card. I love it!

He was born in Sherman, Texas, near the Texas Oklahoma border. US-HWY 82 through Sherman is called the Buck Owens Freeway.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom