What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick stop today, ended up with some meat because both were on sale:

IMG_5678.jpeg
IMG_5679.jpeg

Not this year’s batch, but we have in the past, you betcha!

I saw Halloween Oreos today. I didn't have time to stop for a picture. The look like regular Oreos, but the filling is orange. :rolleyes:

BTW, those Maple and Brown Sugar Chex are really quite good. Thanks for posting them. :okay:

CD

IMG_5733.jpeg
IMG_5734.jpeg
IMG_5735.jpeg

Just some basics. Jell-O and grape juice are due to an upcoming butt probe, scheduled for Thursday.

I got these today:
Topochos 1.jpg
Topochos 2.jpg

They're called "topochos" and are a cross between bananas and plantains. What you can see here weighs about 3-4 kgs. When they're brown, like this, they're great for making fried "tajadas"; slices of plantain, fried in oil. Tomorrow (if I have a minute to spare) I'm going to make what's called "Torta de Plátanos" (plantain cake) and I'll post the recipe. Great accompaniment to grilled meats or chicken, or just as a vegetarian main.

Which bit is the most intriguing? Maybe I have a funny story about it.

Or is it just that particular combination of things?
I suspect what you buy is probably a lot closer to what the rest of the world buys than what I purchase. To me, that's interesting. I guess the rest of the population probably think what we buy is very odd. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect what you buy is probably a lot closer to what the rest of the world buys than what I purchase. To me, that's interesting. I guess the rest of the population probably think what we buy is very odd. Lol
I get that, because I do like seeing what people from other countries buy, and what they cook, especially when it’s their day-to-day meals, as opposed to going all-out for something special.

Kroger’s app used to have a feature where they’d grade your purchases for nutritional value, and I’d always get a “B” - better than the average, but not top of the class. According to their analysis, I buy more fresh fruit and vegetables than the average shopper, less meat, but I would get dinged for buying cereal, butter, oil, and dairy in general - I apparently buy more of those things than the average shopper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that, because I do like seeing what people from other countries buy, and what they cook, especially when it’s their day-to-day meals, as opposed to going all-out for something special.

Kroger’s app used to have a feature where they’d grade your purchases for nutritional value, and I’d always get a “B” - better than the average, but not top of the class. According to their analysis, I buy more fresh fruit and vegetables than the average shopper, less meat, but I would get dinged for buying cereal, butter, oil, and dairy in general - I apparently buy more of those things than the average shopper.
We have something similar, but the app needs you to say how many people you're shopping for, sex and age group. It also asks for each of these areas what percentage of your shopping is done with Woolworths.

It then analyses your weekly, fortnightly or monthly shopping and says what percentage is "sometimes food" ( aka snacks), what's fruit, what's veg, dairy, meat or alternatives and cereals. You can exclude stuff from your shopping (handy if your husband is responsible for his company's fruit, drinks and snacks) and stuff that is miscategorised such as coconut water turning up in fruit, as does our Granola cereal. The dried fruit in the Granola is negligible in my view, so we exclude it, but include it for cereal and for the nuts categories.

We buy things like my milk from a different supermarket and will pick up Bonsoy soy milk pony when it's on offer, so we can go without actually buying dairy or alternatives because we make our own cheese and yoghurt for example.

Screenshot_20230914_132409_Rewards.jpg

Screenshot_20230914_132334_Rewards.jpg

Those pie charts are not compared to other shoppers, but to the nutritional needs of your household.

So fruit and veg are typically high in this household.

Screenshot_20230914_132243_Rewards.jpg

Screenshot_20230914_132348_Rewards.jpg

Veg is much lower than usual because I have a whole load of stuff that needs eating that we grew this year. Some is in the freezer, some is in cold storage and some I just dig up as we eat it.

Dairy and Alternatives is 0%, and both Grains & Meat Alternatives are much lower than usual. 5 weeks ago they're was an offer on and we could get a lot of what we usually buy for half price, then we got an additional 10% off that figure, so they are not included in these figures and it only goes back 4 weeks.

It's not uncommon for us to see 0% for some, about 33-50% for others and 200-300% on the obvious.

For that reason precisely, I could never use an app for shopping.
I'd absolutely HATE to be so predictable and have my consumer purchases categorised into percentages!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom