Whatcha drinking (2024)?

20240915_152641.jpg
IMG-20240915-WA0008.jpeg

IMG_4453.JPG

😲
The cleaning ladies are at our house this morning, so DH & I have gone to brunch a few towns away, one of our favorites.
That's my Mimosa - in a Hurricane glass - that's 20 ounces!!! AND it was only $7USD !!!!!

Laphroaig
You are drinking my absolute favourite single malt whisky (and King Charles' favourite, too!) .:happy:
Spicy, peaty, smoky, some say almost medicinal, it's not to everyone's taste, but I love it.
Back in the 90s, when I worked for a huge US corporation, I had to travel almost every 2 weeks to the US, Colombia, Ecuador, etc., and I picked up a bottle of single malt in every airport I stopped at. Highland, Lowland, Skye, Speyside and Islay. I bought a bottle of Laphroaig and there was a label on it which you filled in and sent off to become the lifetime owner of 1sq. ft.
In 2001, we went back to the UK and took my parents on a UK Tour; up the east coast to Edinburgh, across to Islay, then back down through the Lake District, Wales, Stratford upon Avon and back to Kent.
We went to Islay (pronounced ai-lah) and toured the Laphroaig distillery. Fantastic experience. We stayed in a little hotel right next to the Bowmore Distillery, where the " Wine List" was actually a whisky list - over 4,000 whiskies. I remember my mum trying the whisky at the tasting (never tried it in her life) and going "EUGGHHHAARRGGHH!":hyper::hyper: and the GM of Laphroaig saying "ye may leek to breek it wi a wee drop o water" - about a tsp.:laugh:
Somewhere I've got my official landowner's certificate - I'll dig it out.

Laphroaig

You are drinking my absolute favourite single malt whisky (and King Charles' favourite, too!) .:happy:
Spicy, peaty, smoky, some say almost medicinal, it's not to everyone's taste, but I love it.
Back in the 90s, when I worked for a huge US corporation, I had to travel almost every 2 weeks to the US, Colombia, Ecuador, etc., and I picked up a bottle of single malt in every airport I stopped at. Highland, Lowland, Skye, Speyside and Islay. I bought a bottle of Laphroaig and there was a label on it which you filled in and sent off to become the lifetime owner of 1sq. ft.
In 2001, we went back to the UK and took my parents on a UK Tour; up the east coast to Edinburgh, across to Islay, then back down through the Lake District, Wales, Stratford upon Avon and back to Kent.
We went to Islay (pronounced ai-lah) and toured the Laphroaig distillery. Fantastic experience. We stayed in a little hotel right next to the Bowmore Distillery, where the " Wine List" was actually a whisky list - over 4,000 whiskies. I remember my mum trying the whisky at the tasting (never tried it in her life) and going "EUGGHHHAARRGGHH!":hyper::hyper: and the GM of Laphroaig saying "ye may leek to breek it wi a wee drop o water" - about a tsp.:laugh:
Somewhere I've got my official landowner's certificate - I'll dig it out.
They still have this! I am also the proud lifetime owner of 1 sq ft of Islay. If you go to the distillery, the give you the latitude and longitude of your square foot and a pair of wellies, and you can go out and plant your country’s flag on your little area. You can also collect your “rent” - a dram of Laphroaig 10, but you need to go to the distillery to get it!

Back in 2016 my husband and I and a friend of ours visited Islay during Feis Ile, which is their yearly whisky festival. We visited Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila, Brunnhabhain, and Bruchladdich distilleries. My liver hasn’t forgiven me since but it was worth it.

We’re contemplating heading back in a couple years since it will be the 10 year anniversary of that trip…time flies!

Bottled water during work, for some reason, thete were 10 x 6 bottles of water stacked at the entry way...so I translated it as tap water not safe, again? Will inquire tomorrow.
Bottled tap water from home on the commute back home.

Back
Top Bottom