What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My jalapeño plant is dead. It happened rather suddenly. I guess the root system wasn't strong enough. I planted a little late this spring, but we had a lot of rain, and my garden soil is good. I don't know what happened.
It might be the rain (although you're probably praying for it now). Capsicums thrive on just enough water. The less you give them (so goes the story), the hotter they get. All I can tell you is that mine have all faded into oblivion this year. Rain every day, sodden earth - they dont like it.

It might be the rain (although you're probably praying for it now). Capsicums thrive on just enough water. The less you give them (so goes the story), the hotter they get. All I can tell you is that mine have all faded into oblivion this year. Rain every day, sodden earth - they dont like it.

Peppers don't like wet feet, but my garden soil drains well, and the garden is 6 inches above the rest of the yard. Once they get a root system established, they do fine in the dry summers here. But, if they don't get that root system established, they can't take the stress of drought conditions.

I need to pull the plant out of the ground and look at the roots.

CD

Both my annual and perennial sunflowers are blooming!
0C867A39-CBD5-460F-88E7-850407157087.jpeg

Annual - “Russian Mammoth” variety
084ABCA2-DF57-46AD-A371-33FA37CD7D35.jpeg

Perennial - think it’s “Maximilian sunflowers”

Earwigs. I don't know if you have them in other countries but mine are driving me crazy. I find several each time I harvest lettuce or basil and I find them disgusting!

Both my annual and perennial sunflowers are blooming! View attachment 103343
View attachment 103344
We had a few this last summer (Christmas) sewn by the chooks not finding the black sunflower seeds we'd given them. 3 popped up in places not mown by the lawnmower. Several more were in the lawn but got terminated.

Given their location they did well.
20230314_123628.jpg
20230314_123604.jpg

Both my annual and perennial sunflowers are blooming! View attachment 103343
View attachment 103344

We had a few this last summer (Christmas) sewn by the chooks not finding the black sunflower seeds we'd given them. 3 popped up in places not mown by the lawnmower. Several more were in the lawn but got terminated.

Given their location they did well.
View attachment 103490View attachment 103491

I love sunflowers, we put them on my brother's coffin because he was always happy and smiling even when he was close to the end.

I love sunflowers, we put them on my brother's coffin because he was always happy and smiling even when he was close to the end.
That's a great way to remember someone. With my Grannie there are several flowers she loved and wild fritillary were one of her favourites, along with the British bluebell and harebell. I used to have her Christmas cactus which she gave me long before she died. It was huge when I had to pass it on to a friend because I couldn't bring any plants with me to Australia.

DSC_0025.JPG

That was a normal 4 seat table.

I also remember the first time we grew (giant) sunflowers. The pictures are in the garage, back in the days before digital, but we lived in a typical rural Surrey 2 bedroom country house... we didn't realise that the talky large flower heads would be on the end of really long stems/stalks. Only 3 sunflowers survived and they grew, and grew and grew... one actually flowered at roof height, literally above the gutter out of site. Another flowered at window height, only it was the 2nd bedroom's window on the first floor! And the other made it to the windowsill of the first floor. It seemed such a shame that you couldn't actually see them unless we were in bed! They also stopped us opening the windows.

I have a friend whose very ill at the moment and has been "tidying her affairs". Prior to her getting ill she had said I could have some of her saffron crocuses. She asked me to have them all because she knows I'll use them, enjoy them and actually know what they are unlike her family.
So I went over today to dig up the 2 clumps of them. She's never lifted them or divided them at all...

It's not a good time of year to do it. We were going to leave it until after they had flowered this coming Christmas, but obviously that's had to change. (She's not expecting to return to her home and her husband (20 yrs her elder) has had to go into hospital whilst a place in a care home is found for him.)

Because they had mint growing in with them, I had to extract the crocus bulbs and divide everything up. I honestly don't know how many bulbs she has given me, but it has to be more than 300. They're are so many of them.

So this (I've highlighted the saffron crocuses behind the narcissus & to the side). 1 bulb typically produces 3 or 4 very thin blades for leaves (similar to a cross between grass and chives).
IMG_20230815_212046.jpg

Became this
IMG_20230815_162519.jpg

They're lying flat because I watered them. I was actually running out of planting space and had to plant them much closer together than i wanted them. Hopefully they'll perk up in the next few days. They won't flower for another 4 or 5 months. A lot of the bulbs are immature bulbs needing to grow but they should soon settle in.

What I haven't told hubby is that 6 months ago I placed an order (and paid for) 60 commercial saffron bulbs for $125. In these parts you can pay $45 for just 9 bulbs. (don't ask how I know!)

It is incredibly kind of her. She tells me she's just happy someone wants something from get garden. Talking with my other neighbour, I know there are plenty of us who would like to have some stuff from her garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom